Replace pickups in an Epi SG 400?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replace pickups in an Epi SG 400?

My daughter just gave me her Epi SG 400 since I sold all my stuff (Gibby Les Paul Traditional Plus, Fender Tele, Gibson Explorer) due to a wrist injury and not being able to play. So I'm trying to get started again and this guitar is really surprisingly well built...But the pickups are a little muddy and lacking to me. I always left the stock Gibson pick ups (57 classics, 498/500) in my previous stuff, but thinking about going with some Duncans for this guitar. Any suggestion for this? I'm currently using a Vox Valvetronix VT 60, so will a pick up swap really even matter? I'm pretty much a one track mind when it comes to what I play as well...It's all 80's hair, Marshall JCM 800 stuff....any suggestions? Thanks!
    Gibson LP Traditional Plus - 57 classics
    Gibson LP Studio - Suhr Aldrich/490r
    Fender American Tele
    Epi 57 LP Jr. reissue - SD SP90-2
    Vox VT 60
    Vox AD30 Valvetronix

Re: Replace pickups in an Epi SG 400?

My favorite setup is a Gibson 498t in the bridge and a Duncan 59 in the neck. If those are the covered pickups that come in the G-400, they will sound much better if you remove the covers and get all the wax off the top of the pickup. I've always thought the g-400 set were fairly decent for stock pickups.

Comment

I have a '59 set in my G400.

Alnico 8 magnet in the bridge pup, and Alnico 4 in the neck. Sounds fabulous, has a well balanced EQ, and is tremendously versatile.

Comment

For the bridge in an SG, you just can't beat the Custom 8 (any of the Customs with an alnico 8 magnet). For what you play, even a straight-up Custom (with ceramic mag) would work wonders in your guitar.

For the neck you have many options that will be fine for what you play. My first recommendation would be a Pearly Gates. Also great would be a Screamin Demon (don't let the name fool you), or a C/59 hybrid. I personally like any of those better than a regular 59 (with an A5 mag). The 59 is better with an A4 (or even an A8 if you have it paired with a Custom or C8 in the bridge).
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Another suggestion for the bridge...Duncan Distortion. Great pup for what you play. Very good EQ with strong mids and highs and with very good articulation and note-to-note separation.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
            Another suggestion for the bridge...Duncan Distortion. Great pup for what you play. Very good EQ with strong mids and highs and with very good articulation and note-to-note separation.
            How does the distortion compare to a Dimarzio Super Distortion? I had one in an Ibanez SZ 520 a few years ago and liked it in that guitar
            Gibson LP Traditional Plus - 57 classics
            Gibson LP Studio - Suhr Aldrich/490r
            Fender American Tele
            Epi 57 LP Jr. reissue - SD SP90-2
            Vox VT 60
            Vox AD30 Valvetronix

Comment

For what you are playing I would go SH-1 '59 neck / SH-5 Custom bridge in that guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon_F View Post
                For what you are playing I would go SH-1 '59 neck / SH-5 Custom bridge in that guitar.
                +1, for 80's hair metal.
                "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

To my ears SGs need pickups with A5 magnets.
                  Gibson LP Melody Maker -- stock, Epiphone Dot -- Jazz neck and '59 bridge, Fender Telecaster Blackout Deluxe -- stock, 90's MIM Standard Strat with Duncan Texas Hot Custom in the bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by gripweed View Post
                    To my ears SGs need pickups with A5 magnets.
                    Have you subjected your ears to a thorough cleaning recently? Up to and including a pressure washer?
                    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

^ good.

I personally don't like A5's in an SG at all...don't much care for the boomy bass or the biting treble or the scooped mids. As has been suggested, the 59 may be a good choice, but with an A4 it is a better choice. When paired with an SH-5 (or C8) or a Dist, the 59 with an A8 makes for a better match...tonewise and outputwise.

Also, I don't play metal so I don't care for the ceramic sound, but if the OP plays 80's hair, then the SH-5 would be an excellent choice. Either that or the Distortion. Neither of these has an A5 (obviously) but they work great for what the OP wants. Don't care at all for the Custom5 (A5 mag) at all however. Go figure.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon_F View Post
                        what he said

Comment

For that kind of music, DImarzio is maybe better.
                          SD are very good for Rock and Blues in my opinion, but when it comes to `80 metal, nothing beats the Dimarzio pickups.
                          For P.A.F. replica`s SD is the best I tryed so far, but that is not what You are looking for.

G-400 is a very particular Guitar that needs some boost on the Bass side and some qieter mids, so try to find something that will compensate for that.

Comment

For the A5 discussion: I think A5 p90s works very well in SGs, so the stock 59s. None of them would be a good choice for the op.

For the OP question: 59n/Custom 8 (or even the regular custom) will get you there. But, I must agree with the one who said that DiMarzio may have nice options too.

I don't have experience with them, but, by the description, wouldn't the hot ceramics by Gibson be a good choice? (496r / 500t)

Comment

Hair metal? You want the Distortion set or a Dimarzio Super D and a PAF Pro.....Maybe a Super 2 for the neck.....

Comment

Working...
                              X