Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Which One - Slash Humbucker vs Whole Lotta Humbucker

Serious answer.

Let's consider we love Slash for his neck tones, and Pagey for his Bridge tones. so A2P neck, 59 bridge. Youll have a really wide ranging guitar that will nail the tones you want in the position you expect those sounds from. Middle tones will be a nice balance of the two.
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by thunderkyss View Post
      I'm getting slammed for it on another thread, but my experience with PAF types..... you can make up whatever difference inherent in the pickups at the amp.... So flip a coin, pick one, you'd be happy with either.
      That helped the OP a lot.
      Last edited by Chickenwings; 12-21-2013, 04:35 PM.
      "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
      Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I just got a WLH bridge in a all Mahogany set neck guitar.
        First Impression: very full and smooth, not a thin sound in it (even split), even high strings sound smooth & full, power chords have vocal quality.
        I would not put a WLH bridge in guitar that was too dark sounding / lacked definition, I would imagine the WLH would rule a mahogany guitar with a maple top.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post

I am not a fan of pups tweeked for specific artists and specific guitars because they made the tones YOU learned to love with the stock versions. Now in their fame they are getting stuff tweeked to perfection for them. Might not work for you, or likely not matter. That said - I have never plkayed either pup, and for obvious reasons don't care to.
          I just wanted to respond to this bit. I have not played the WLH set. I have played the APH set for many years and own the Slash set. I can tell you that while they do share a bit of sonic DNA, these two sets do sound and feel different. Enough so that you can hear a feel a difference. The Slash bridge is much more meaty than the standard APH bridge. The Slash set also has an almost single-coil attack to the notes. It's kinda like a really good cross between a P90 and a good PAF style humbucker. I can tell you that I certainly don't chase Slash's tone. However, I do consider him to have a good ear for tone. For me the Slash bridge pickup just sounds and feels really damn good.

Not trying to argue or be a dick. Just thought I would share my experiences with these two particular pickups.
          2001 Les Paul Classic (Antiquity Set)
          2005 Les Paul Standard (Aldrich set)
          2019 Washburn N24 (Duncan Custom Shop PATB)

Comment

Working...
          X