A week and a half of strat pups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A week and a half of strat pups

A week and a half of strat pups and boy am I weirded out! I haven't had strat singles before. Well on Dec. 30 I got my strat put back together and put in my A2P's, as well as new pots, switches, etc and then put vintage style wire to the jack and grounds. Here is my review....thus far.

Alnico 2 Pro for strat staggered polepieces, neck position 6.4k ohms DC resistance

It sounds like a strat pup what can I say? The neck pup produces and nice clear sound. Great for strumming chords or add a little dirt and play some blues. It doesn't have a glassy sound but still sounds very stratty, around sound like an wide open mouth when you sing.

Alnico 2 Pro for strat staggered polepieces RW/RP, middle position 6.4k Ohms DC Resistance

This pup is my wife's favorite. It's raised slightly higher than the neck and is brighter than the neck but not the bridge. This pup sounds good clean or dirty. Throw some gain in and it retains the strat sound and character, but retains upper register definition. It works well for all uses, be it clean, dirty, rythym, or lead. The low string definition with gain is lacking proably due to pup height.

In the neck/middle position you can get the coveted smooth "out of phase" sound. It is very nice for playing Pipeline's or Walk Don't Run's more mellow parts. For the brighter parts you can switch over to the neck bridge sound or bridge pup.

The neck/bridge make a great strat rythym sound with gain. It sounds good for lead playing clean especially but it's not bad with gain. Good low end with punch in the mids and highs make these pup very usable for all types of music and the sound cuts through fairly well.

Alnico 2 Pro for Strat flat polepieces bridge position 6.2k ohms DC Resistance

I like the flat poles best. It seems to allow me more control over the tonality of the pup and what I hear coming out. I would recommend flat pole pieces over staggered. In the bridge position the pup cuts through, but not in a shrill ice pick way but naturally. A bit of a boost will help it really get the job done. It sounds thick (as thick as a strat can) and rich with plenty of overtones and gets a great classic, to hard rock sound. Clean this pup sounds good for 50's/60's crashing reverb tones or more mellow sounds. The pup lends itself to nuance as do most Duncans.

I played my strat (1999 US Fender Big Apple Strat that is now single coil equipped) through a Fender 64 BF Vibro-champ with a boss dual OD, Marshall horizontal input 100 watt JCM 800 with EL34's, Marshall vertical input 50 watt JCM 800 6L6's, (both Marshalls with a Klon Centaur) and a Dr. Z Maz Jr 18 watt with a SD booster pedal.

Hope this helps somebody.

Luke
    “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Re: A week and a half of strat pups

Nice review Luke. Its always fun to read about other folks experiences with new pups.

Comment

Re: A week and a half of strat pups

I love to read the reviews myself Artie. Especially from somone in the same situation as me and has a new TYPE of pup.

Luke
      “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

Working...
      X