duncan 78 in alder with a OFR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• duncan 78 in alder with a OFR?

I am buying a 78 to try out for my jackson soloist(alder,neck thru floyd) which has a 59 trembucker in it now.
    I really like the 59 but want a bit more fullness in the mids and maybe a touch more output?
    78 a good canidate for this? was goin to buy a blues patb-3 but cant get along with the look of it
    Excellent deals with,
    Frank falbo,Rockstarnick,SrDeMaFp,Joyouswolf,SFW,gpengui ns
    Jacksontrader,Latsmcgee,IndySG,Ghostmaker,
    slaveunit,atreidesheir,appar111,ex-250,dominus,
    guitarkingdomworks,appar111,ginoames,chickencoop,
    51501984,guitarfreak,notesfield,raybarbeemusic,
    king izzo,Tone scavenger,Heem6,Checo,metalmachine,MetLking

Re: duncan 78 in alder with a OFR?

Assuming Ed's Boogie-body Frankies were Alder.....

I hardly notice the Parallel Axis' cosmetics anymore, or the Invader's, for that matter. Guess I'm too busy looking at the fretboard to make sure I don't screw up
    Originally posted by Brown Note
    I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
    My Blog

Comment

Dunno. I've got the 1 and 2. Had a 3 for a minute some years ago (Saraceno model, right?) but don't recall that much about it.
      Originally posted by Brown Note
      I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
      My Blog

Comment

I really like the 78 but I would have tried a PG before I dropped the coin on a 78....

Comment

I've found that the '78 is perfect in Alder.

The '78 does fill in the mids around a '59 and has much more output... the '78 is HOT don't let the DC resistance fool you. It seems hotter than a PG.

Pinch harmonics are around 85% of what the JB has... the pickup rarely (if ever) comes up short on power, harmonics, sustain and juice.

It's really the most amazing bridge pickup I've ever tried... sort of the happy medium for achieving as many tonal objectives at once.

I'm almost to the point that if I had the money, I would replace every bridge humbucker I have with '78s (regardless of the guitar/wood etc).
          Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

Originally posted by LatsMcGee View Post
            I really like the 78 but I would have tried a PG before I dropped the coin on a 78....
            I do understand what you are saying but this one time the extra coin is not really any issue, as long as it works out and i walk away very happy with the tone it gets. actually the 59 is not a dog or anything, i just want some things from it that it just doesnt seem to offer regardless of height,pole settings.
            the mids as a who are not quite boosted as much as i want without any eq pedals and i already tried just turning up my amps mids but that makes my neck pu sound wrong. so i think i pu swap is a logical next step since i definitely am staying away from hotter pu's like the JB's,tone zones and all the others out.
            yes they are great but everytime i tried to find a keeper high output model i would eventually really start to notice the missing dynamics,openess,chime, great clean tones and other benefits i think only under 12K models seem to maintain even through high gain amps
            for future reference tell me how the pearly sounds in comparison to the 59 i have now and the 78 i want to try?
            Last edited by SAVAGE DISTORTION; 04-03-2013, 08:23 PM.
            Excellent deals with,

Comment

Originally posted by zenmindbeginner View Post
              I've found that the '78 is perfect in Alder.

The '78 does fill in the mids around a '59 and has much more output... the '78 is HOT don't let the DC resistance fool you. It seems hotter than a PG.

Pinch harmonics are around 85% of what the JB has... the pickup rarely (if ever) comes up short on power, harmonics, sustain and juice.

It's really the most amazing bridge pickup I've ever tried... sort of the happy medium for achieving as many tonal objectives at once.

I'm almost to the point that if I had the money, I would replace every bridge humbucker I have with '78s (regardless of the guitar/wood etc).
              thanks for the info and I read your blog and watched the clip a few times and was very impressed with the tone of the 78 in your guitar.
              you had a good deal of heat comin out of that for a 9K so i see what you mean about the numbers being decieving and it had the mids i am after my 59 lacks.
              plus i heard a good deal of overtones/harmonics my 59 does not either have so thats a plus.
              My main concern is the common statement "lower output pickups just wont sound right in a shred guitar with a floyd?"
              that they need to be in a gibson les paul or that type for them to really shine and sound proper?
              these are some of the comments i have seen on the net from guys that said they tried using the 59,pg,78 types in shred type guitars and also in their gibsons or prs'? are they refering more to the floyd and 24 fret bolt on necks common among the more modern shred type guitars like my soloist and the RG's ibanez makes?
              Last edited by SAVAGE DISTORTION; 04-03-2013, 08:35 PM.
              Excellent deals with,

Comment

duncan 78 in alder with a OFR?

It's like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. A great match together. I've played others' guitars with the '78 Model and it just fits perfectly in a guitar configured like yours.

Comment

Originally posted by DrNewcenstein View Post

I hardly notice the Parallel Axis' cosmetics anymore, or the Invader's, for that matter. Guess I'm too busy looking at the fretboard to make sure I don't screw up
                  yeah thats my problem too but see every once in a while i get lucky and hit a few right notes and then thats when i look at my pu's and not the neck and if it were a parallel axis there the look would bother me so much i would really start hitting bad notes
                  i admit i am anal and that the look should not be a issue at all and if i were 100% convinced the blues patb-3 fit the bill in tone and performance,i would not let the poles be a deal breaker but honestly i seen many say the blues is very similar to my 59 but has a little less top end and a touch more output. that would be great if the mids were boosted on the blues as well
                  Excellent deals with,

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                    It's like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. A great match together. I've played others' guitars with the '78 Model and it just fits perfectly in a guitar configured like yours.
                    great to hear! thanks to everyone for the help and info about the 78, now i can spend my cash with confidence.
                    I definitely trust the opinions here about these issues!

UPDATE: someone on ebay just accepted my best offer of $115, all the others are brand new and are going for $160-$186!
                    does anyone know why one store is pricing these at $196 new when right from the CS they are $160?
                    i am confused is there a really long wait time for one from the CS or something and some of these dealers try to take advantage of anyone that does not want to wait? and some of these i am seeing are new old stock from early 2011? i wonder why?
                    Last edited by SAVAGE DISTORTION; 04-03-2013, 09:07 PM.
                    Excellent deals with,

Comment

Congrats on the '78 man! Post a tone report when you get it installed and let us know what you think!

As for $196 for a '78??? No idea! What I do know is that unless it has Zephyr components or something it is overpriced!! Wait time on a CS 'bucker is very reasonable: the last one I ordered in December arrived in under a month and I live in Canada.

Comment

I actually like the 42AWG wind with a Floyd... it gets rid of that single note "thinness" I got from the 44AWG pickups that I traditionally used with Floyds. A very bold and present sound with more clarity than you'd expect.

The $196 '78 shouldn't be from a dealer but is probably just a deranged seller dislocated from reality.
                        Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

Originally posted by zenmindbeginner View Post
                          I actually like the 42AWG wind with a Floyd... it gets rid of that single note "thinness" I got from the 44AWG pickups that I traditionally used with Floyds. A very bold and present sound with more clarity than you'd expect.

The $196 '78 shouldn't be from a dealer but is probably just a deranged seller dislocated from reality.
                          glad to hear the alder and floyd/lower output combo is not a issue with a 78 or any other paf type, i knew from using the 59 it should sound at least decent since the 59 in this jackson is not bad, real close actually but just not exactly what i wanted.
                          does anyone know for sure if the 42 AWG is plain enamel or poly on the 78?
                          Excellent deals with,

Comment

I've got the 78 in two Strat style guitars , alder body with maple neck vintage trem and ash body with rosewood neck hardtail trem. Probably my favorite pickup along with BK VH2. The 78 gets pigeonholed as the pickup for the classic VH tone for obvious reasons but its does much more than that , great hot PAF for classic and hard rock. I play Schenker, G Moore, Lynch, Jake E, Ratt type riffs with the 78 and it does not dissapoint, playing thru my Splawn SS help out a lot
                            When asking for pickup suggestions please tell us what amp you`re using

Comment

People selling on ebay are trying to make some bux and are selling them to folks that prolly dont know you can get em direct for less.
                              I too, look foward to your review once you get it in! Ive been pondering trying one for a looooong time.
                              The only Patb Ive tried is the Saraceno. It gave the guitar a very full tone. Not a hot wind, but felt like a big sounding pup. Great for a thin sounding guitar. I had mine in a Carvin SC90 with a floyd.
                              Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Working...
                              X