Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Duncan Nazgul and Sentient vid

Originally posted by Grindspine View Post

And between death metal and black metal, there is a difference in playing genre to my ears. I still consider Dissection - The Somberlain to be a pretty definitive album for black metal while Death - Spiritual Healing or Sepultura - Arise are pretty defininitive death metal (not to be confused with progressive death metal, melodic death metal, or metalcore). I will admit that both genres share a lot and are easily blurred. Really though, to my ears, the first solo (the one on the Nazgul bridge pickup) sounded straight up black metal to me.
    Hair splitting aside... its still not Djent, which is the claim that started all this
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by Grindspine View Post
      the first solo (the one on the Nazgul bridge pickup) sounded straight up black metal to me.
      That and the typical BM chords are all over this. Super polished, but I like it.

Comment

Black metal, death metal, blackened death metal... whatever. Still a good demo, and not djent. Though I'm sure this pickup would be perfect for that job.

Comment

How many metalheads does it take to change a light bulb?

Three. One changes the bulb and the other two argue about what kind of light bulb it is.

Comment

Well it's not like we're discussing Country vs Rock here, which is relatively straightforward to separate. We're splitting hairs over the amount of Diminished vs Augmented 2 and 3-finger chords, string guage, tuning, and whether someone's making more use of Locrian or Ionian, yet trying to make it sound like Swedish vs Australian vs Swahili.
            Originally posted by Brown Note
            I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
            My Blog

Comment

The point was that it's not what the kids call djent, I don't think anyone was debating anything else.

Comment

Since the guy from Meshugga is credited with coming up with the word, specifically in reference to a similar style of music as to what Meshugga play, I'd say his definition is the one that matters. From what I've heard in that style, the slight oscillation of a hard-hit open string of a chord which is then tightly palm-muted is about the only difference between the various other mentioned musical styles. The rest is still the same.
                Originally posted by Brown Note
                I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
                My Blog

Comment

Heh, just to keep the pointlessness going. I still think Djent should have this definition.

Originally posted by JeffB View Post
                  It is one of many words of the compete fictitional languages created by the Professor..Elvish, in this case. Many of his creations have their their origins in other european mythology, most notably Norse/Asgardian mythos,, but this is not one of them.
                  Of course, yes, I have heard it used to describe Meshuggah - percussive, downtuned, etc...

Anyhow, the Nazgul sounds pretty damn good for metal to me, be it black, death, blackened death, grindcore, doom, metalcore, pneu metahl, etc.

The solo with the Sentient does not totally vibe the way I was hoping though.

Comment

Originally posted by DrNewcenstein View Post
                    Death/Black/Doom is defined by lyrical content, not playing style. Djent is the style of playing, not lyrical content.

So did they change the Pegasus to Nazgul?
                    No, as far as I know they are still 2 separate beasts. the SD website shows both models listed.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB View Post
                      It is one of many words of the compete fictitional languages created by the Professor..Elvish, in this case. Many of his creations have their their origins in other european mythology, most notably Norse/Asgardian mythos,, but this is not one of them.
                      *LOTR Geek Alert*

Actually, the word comes from Orkish...with "Nazg" being "ring" and "Ul" being "wraith"

/ Geek Out
                      - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
                      Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
                      The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

So I've seen on Mr. Keith Merrow's Facebook that these new models are being released this week... What I want to know is:

*Is the Duncan Distortion 7's with the black metal covers and the black poles among those being released this week also???
                        *Can anybody from SD that veiws and participates on these boards confirm this, and provide MAP pricing for us???

After seeing the black metal covered pickups has given me a change of mind about getting a set of Duncans, and I'd like to order a set of these ASAP and get my ESP AW-7 back together and playing it again...

Comment

I'm ready to see tone chart specs on the new models. bass/mid/treble dc resistance etc. especially the nazgul.

I'm having a hard time deciding whether to go with a set a duncan distortion 7's or wait for the nazgul-sentient combo...
                          "It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Comment

Make these in six string versions pls

Comment

Originally posted by King IzzO))) View Post
                              Make these in six string versions pls
                              They might eventually. However, these are the first designed specifically for 7 and 8 strings. It might be a while. The Black Winter is a 6'er though. will be nice when it comes to america!
                              "It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Comment

Working...
                              X