TB 5 or TB 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TB 5 or TB 6

this question has been asked more times then most, but i currently have a Tb5 in my ibanez sa120 which sounds good. But I'm told that the TB 6 would be more for my style. I play alot of grunge, metal but also some blues from time to time. I know Gus G used a distortion before he got blackouts and willie adler has since switch to the SH 6, but which one would be better for heavy tone whilst also maintaining the clarity for solos. The TB 5 is good for clarity, is the TB 6 just as good? Thanks.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-07-2013, 02:28 PM.

Re: TB 5 or TB 6

Depends largely on your amp and any external pedals you have. The TB5 Custom is a bit darker-toned than the TB6 Distortion, but the Distortion is a higher-output pickup. If you have a high-gain amp or a decent dirt pedal, the TB6 would be redundant and possibly overkill.

The Custom will change more smoothly between the styles you mention, with the majority of tonal changes being done with the amp/pedals. You may have to fiddle with the height of the TB6 to do the lower-gain stuff.
    Originally posted by Brown Note
    I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
    My Blog

Comment

Originally posted by BSK5150 View Post
      this question has been asked more times then most, but i currently have a Tb5 in my ibanez sa120 which sounds good. But I'm told that the TB 6 would be more for my style. I play alot of grunge, metal but also some blues from time to time. I know Gus G used a distortion before he got blackouts and willie adler has since switch to the SH 6, but which one would be better for heavy tone whilst also maintaining the clarity for solos. The TB 5 is good for clarity, is the TB 6 just as good? Thanks.
      you are screaming for a TB6, my friend.
      you are its target market.
      i would be very surprised if it's not exactly what you're looking for.

Comment

The TB6 is just different than what you have now. Not necessarily less clear. It is hotter, with more highs and mids and less lows. It is aggressive, but lacks the "umph" on the low strings that the Custom has. It is hotter though and has more crunch and sizzle. I'd say the Custom is smoother. The Distortion has a bit of grind of fizz on the high strings and for leads which I couldn't get on with for some reason. I will probably try it again some day though! The Custom is probably more versatile where as the Distortion excels at very aggressive rock and metal. (Although I'm sure it can do other styles with the right amp/settings, etc.)

Comment

Those 2 pups are fantastic for heavy music. Can go wrong with either. The distortion will be different but I think u will end up wanting a guitar with a did and one with a custom
          ... in other words I don't think u will think either is better than the other. Just different

Comment

I got a SA120 with a JB JAZZ set. I love it. I can get lots of versatility out of it. in the 2nd and 4th switch position. Sparkly cleans. I do wish the JB was slightly less output though. I believe you still have the original stock switch. Using a Distortion, you should be able to get those Sparkly cleans, on the 2nd add gain to it nice blues tone. What do you have in the neck? I don't know how the Custom would sound split but the distortion and JB have a similar wind. I say go for it if you don't like it you can put the TB5 back in.

You would need to adjust your amp though and back of the gain.
            Last edited by Jocelyn; 04-08-2013, 08:04 AM.
            sigpic
            Ibanez SA 120- Bridge JB Trembucker Neck Jazz
            JFG Flying V,
            "If you hear something you're unable to play, then you have room to grow."-Al Di Meola
            John 8:32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Comment

I dunno what kind of "blues" you guys are playing where a Distortion would work, but it ain't blues. If you mean ACDC, then yes, it'd kinda work, but if you're talking Buddy Guy, BB King, or Son House, then no.
              Originally posted by Brown Note
              I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
              My Blog

Comment

Originally posted by DrNewcenstein View Post
                I dunno what kind of "blues" you guys are playing where a Distortion would work, but it ain't blues. If you mean ACDC, then yes, it'd kinda work, but if you're talking Buddy Guy, BB King, or Son House, then no.
                Well if you wanna get technical, anything with work for anything, and what sounds best for something is completely subjective. Although I do agree with you that there are better things for blues than a DD. I seem to recall there being a thread on here about Santana rockin' the DD set in the 80's though. I wonder how a DDn would fare..
                Anyway, to answer the OP, you def want a Distortion. It does alot of things (mostly metal things) exceptionally well.

Comment

TB 5 or TB 6

If your not interested in the TB-4, go with the TB-6.

Sent from my armored space station using Tapatalk on iPad

Comment

roll down the volume and the DD does well with some light OD, or a country-ish clean
                    the DDn in the bridge is another good option (i love it, especially with an A5), but IMO i don't think it's what the OP is looking for.

newc, he did say, "grunge, metal, and some blues"
                    if he wants to go cleaner, there's still the neck and both-in-parallel positions to play with

jocelyn, have you tried lowering some poles, or the whole pickup?
                    some pickups just sound weaker when you lower them, but i've found the JB responds pretty well to lowering the coils and raising the poles slightly;
                    if that's not enough, an A2 mag swap probably would be?

slightly off-topic, but has anyone ever tried a TB-6b in the neck, with weaker magnet?

Comment

Originally posted by dr. ad View Post
                      roll down the volume and the DD does well with some light OD, or a country-ish clean
                      the DDn in the bridge is another good option (i love it, especially with an A5), but IMO i don't think it's what the OP is looking for.

newc, he did say, "grunge, metal, and some blues"
                      if he wants to go cleaner, there's still the neck and both-in-parallel positions to play with

jocelyn, have you tried lowering some poles, or the whole pickup?
                      some pickups just sound weaker when you lower them, but i've found the JB responds pretty well to lowering the coils and raising the poles slightly;
                      if that's not enough, an A2 mag swap probably would be?

slightly off-topic, but has anyone ever tried a TB-6b in the neck, with weaker magnet?
                      Yes this is exactly what I did. I lowed the JB and I love it, it responds very well.
                      sigpic
                      Ibanez SA 120- Bridge JB Trembucker Neck Jazz
                      JFG Flying V,
                      "If you hear something you're unable to play, then you have room to grow."-Al Di Meola
                      John 8:32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Comment

Working...
                      X