• Show
Clear All

Re: radio stations coming through my amp using 1 specific guitar

Click image for larger version

Name:	hurrithreadgy6.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	5767918

I was just about to try to get the attention of the OP again but he posted that he fixed it as I hit reply. LOL

fwr1982, how did the ground connections look?
    Nope...

Comment

Yeah what was the exact problem? For someone who hypothetically might maybe want some radio on their guitar..... Hypothetically....
      There's nothing less metal than trying to act metal.

Comment

Originally posted by Chocklit_Thunda View Post
        Yeah what was the exact problem? For someone who hypothetically might maybe want some radio on their guitar..... Hypothetically....
        All you need is a length of metal connected to the hot side of the circuit at any point in the signal path. What frequency it picks up depends on the length and shape of the metal as well as some other factors within the circuit. Hell, you could build a pedal that's nothing but an on-off switch and the on position has a piece of wire several feet long sticking out of the box that's only connected to the hot side of the circuit.
        Nope...

Comment

So the unshielded metal works as a basic antenna?
          There's nothing less metal than trying to act metal.

Comment

Originally posted by Chocklit_Thunda View Post
            So the unshielded metal works as a basic antenna?
            Unshielded wiring and ungrounded metal like the bridge and strings act as antennas for RFI. If you have a guitar that buzzes when you are not touching the bridge that's a ground problem. The reason why it doesn't buzz when you touch it is because you are the ground.

Comment

This picture is not my guitar, but this is how I've got it wired now. Unfortunately; I didn't take a pic before I rewired. The capacitors were mounted differently (one leg soldered to the back of the pot, the other leg soldered to pot lug) and the ground wire was not properly shielded/soldered. There were white wires connecting each volume to it's corresponding tone pot, which I haven't seen before.
              Last edited by fwr1982; 04-14-2013, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Myaccount876 View Post
                ...You missed the entire question. So I'll ask one more time:

What is so wrong about Gibson? Why are they so terrible?

All you have done is say "Terrible" or "Sounds bad", with the occasional "bought to flip" (which I may add is the DUMBEST reason to buy a guitar unless you work in retail). You could afford a Gibson LP 50s Tribute AND a set of new EMGs but you can't buy a $500 Gibson 1991 Studio LP? Either you are the biggest moron when it comes to resale and money management, or you are so full of BS your eyes are turning brown (if not brown already).

Some advice: You absolutely NEED to tone down your attitude and language otherwise you will not last another month on the forum, and NO ONE here will respect you, or ever try to help you. You sure act like you're a delusional 12 year old for claiming to be 27 years old.
                My eyes are blue. I *AM* a goddamn retail business, staff=1=me. Gawds.

The 50s Trib w/2 Gold EMGs was the worst 650 bucks I've ever spent. It was at an entirely different time than that 91 LP Studio was available. And it wasn't even my money, got an on-and-off partner abroad that I do his shopping for. He already paid me 850 for it, still waiting for $200 more for the full 1050 shipped he promised till it's fully paid off it's layaway'd in my garage and a massive eyesore.

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                So you are a hipster, thats cool if that is what it is about.

What aspect? Electronics? Design? Tone? I don't think there is anyone on these boards that wouldn't like to own this "Sub-2K" SG

Need to find something? Let the Musician's Friend site map guide you to the products you're looking for.

I don't know what your deal with Gibson is but I find them playable all the way through the Epiphone line. Maybe if you stop stripping Gibsons and throwing EMGs in them and take a step back to really hear the guitar you might like them.

Actually, the BOTTOM of the Epi line is quite decent, for the money. The top not so much, since it doesn't really justify the price bump by offering anything over the bottom except prettier finishes.

My deal with GIBSON? Easy, they've got reaaaally rough QC (as compared to competitors and for their price & renown). And they sound worse the bigger and more expensive the amp... a general characteristic of badly made guitars. A good well-made guitar really "opens up" on a good tube halfstack, while a rough'n'shoddy instrument starts showing all its flaws at 10x magnification

QC/worksmanship problems:
                imperfects frets (epi actually does better on this), sloppy binding, not everything lines up, control cavities used to be neat n nice, now not so much anymore
                reissues get blown away by actual vintages, and even 10-20yo gibbies are FAR BETTER

Materials problems:
                1. the fretboard saga - need I say more. the recent joke of the day materials, whatever polymer or laminate or pressed toilet paper they come up with on a daily basis, speak for themselves, and make baked maple look downright good.
                2. faded and satin finishes are just downright sloppy. and the necks feel nasty texture-wise.
                3. reissues get blown away by actual vintages, and even 10-20yo gibbies are FAR BETTER - also a material problem. oh and btw, they WERE better to begin with those 10-20 years ago, it's not some mystical "pickup magnet aging" or "wood drying out"

SOUND problems:
                1. where the hell is my sustain?
                2. scream, b*tch. no seriously. it's like doing a frigid woman. medically nothin' wrong with her p***y, everything seems to be right as rain, but it JUST AINT FUN.
                "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

In other words? My problem with Gibson is that it ONCE knew how to build guitars well, but for whatever reason, ain't doin it right no more. Jeez, buy back and dissect a few real '59s already if you can't figure it out any other way...

My fave manufacturers don't appear to have that problem. Fujigen and ESP Japan still have their arms properly attached and their brains screwed on right-side-up and do awesome work, pretty much perfectly made and just right out of the box... Awesome work which Gibby can't measure up to. For less money than Gibby.

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
                  Adieu is much older than you I guarantee that. I still maintain that hes a familiar troll who has been around these parts before.
                  not that I can remember, maybe you're thinking of another site?? and no I'm not intentionally trolling. I do in fact believe what I say.

usernames I've used that I can remember on various forums:
                  Adieu, Aadieu, Adieu1985, Fyl

Originally posted by Condemned soul View Post
                  First off, I ordered a SG Std an indpendent dealer in December of last year. I picked it up today. It is flawless. It does have a 2 piece body, however, the preperation process made it almost invisible. Also, this finish is a beautiful deep cherry and the craftsmanship excellent. So the Gibson comment just flat out seemed out of place in this post.
                  Uhhh... am I really getting flamed for saying "anything BELOW an SG Standard today is utter crap" - by a person with an example of being satisfied with, wait for it - AN SG STANDARD??? Oooh. Awesome.
                  Last edited by Adieu; 04-16-2013, 04:07 AM.

Comment

To the OP I had this issue sometimes with my V with its original pickups plugged into my old Cheapo amp I guess as advised and you followed the advice it was a grounding issue. The amp did have some grounding issues. I dont remember how it got resolved it happened very rare but it did happen. Maybe when I changed pups and rewired the guitar or plugged the amp into another outlet.

Adieu I am not a fan of Gibson. At the most I might just like a Gibson. But calling Gibson the worst manufacturer is totally uncalled for.
                    sigpic
                    Ibanez SA 120- Bridge JB Trembucker Neck Jazz
                    JFG Flying V,
                    "If you hear something you're unable to play, then you have room to grow."-Al Di Meola
                    John 8:32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Comment

Hey original poster, check your wiring and invest in a roll of copper tape. Shield the control cavity (including the cover if it is not metal) and make sure all points lead to one ground. If your cables are decent and the control cavity is shielded, if you still get radio stations, you may want to try covered (shielded) pickups.

Ignore what those guys said about wax potting and microphonics. Microphonic problems will present more like feedback and squealing. What you have is an RFI (radio frequency interference) problem. The solution is proper shielding and grounding, nothing else.

edit: I see that the problem has been fixed!

Originally posted by fwr1982 View Post
                      Well I finally fixed it! I should have done this first, but I pulled one of my other SGs and compared electronics between the two and guess what? Somebody did a **** job wiring this one - way different than the other SG I compared it to. So after quite a bit of desoldering and resoldering, I got it rewired correctly I suppose. No more radio stations!
                      It's good to know it was a simple wiring issue!
                      Last edited by Grindspine; 04-16-2013, 08:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jocelyn View Post
                        To the OP I had this issue sometimes with my V with its original pickups plugged into my old Cheapo amp I guess as advised and you followed the advice it was a grounding issue. The amp did have some grounding issues. I dont remember how it got resolved it happened very rare but it did happen. Maybe when I changed pups and rewired the guitar or plugged the amp into another outlet.

Adieu I am not a fan of Gibson. At the most I might just like a Gibson. But calling Gibson the worst manufacturer is totally uncalled for.
                        Worst? Hell no, that'd be First Act... Gibby's just guilty of churning out ~$600-1200 guitars that are neither up to the standards their brand recognition implies, nor worth the cash they ask for em. Standards n up are cool, some old Studios are nice, Gothics can be fun.

Comment

adieu = goodbye; farewell

Come on moderators. Let's stick to the definition.

Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
                            adieu = goodbye; farewell

Come on moderators. Let's stick to the definition.

What, tired of inventing 32 677 random comments and wanna throw in the towel, turning yourself in for personal attacks? HOW HONOURABLE

Really, though, this has gotten RIDICULOUSLY derailed cuz a bunch of fanbois can't seem to understand one used gear dealer's OFFHAND COMMENT about his position of MOST GIBSONS = LOW VALUE FOR MONEY. there's better stuff out there for the same cash. jeez, leave it alone already, that statement's pretty much impossible to argue against, very true, and never meant to get anybody's panties in a twist... ESPECIALLY seeing how I make exceptions for the GOOD gibby products like Explorer Standards, which make awesome used value when you find em for 600-700 sometimes.
                            Last edited by Adieu; 04-16-2013, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
                              What, tired of inventing 32 677 random comments and wanna throw in the towel, turning yourself in for personal attacks? HOW HONOURABLE

Really, though, this has gotten RIDICULOUSLY derailed cuz a bunch of fanbois can't seem to understand one used gear dealer's OFFHAND COMMENT about his position of MOST GIBSONS = LOW VALUE FOR MONEY. there's better stuff out there for the same cash. jeez, leave it alone already, that statement's pretty much impossible to argue against, very true, and never meant to get anybody's panties in a twist... ESPECIALLY seeing how I make exceptions for the GOOD gibby products like Explorer Standards, which make awesome used value when you find em for 600-700 sometimes.
                              You make every thread you post in about you and not about the original poster. Stop.

I'm a former moderator of a fairly large gaming community forum where we were actually fairly lenient. Your posting activity would've gained you a warning and a temporary ban at this point. Just stop while you're ahead.
                              Nope...

Comment

Originally posted by GilmourD View Post
                                You make every thread you post in about you and not about the original poster. Stop.

I'm a former moderator of a fairly large gaming community forum where we were actually fairly lenient. Your posting activity would've gained you a warning and a temporary ban at this point. Just stop while you're ahead.
                                Dude, I'm not trying - actually actively trying NOT to... I just draw a crowd of "admirers" who nitpick every word. UNLIKE them, I was actively trying to help the OP, and just happened to mention something Gibson quality hardly being what it used to or smthn like that to justify that the fixes people and myself were suggesting for OP's problem (as well as the problem itself) were generally thought to be from the domain of ultra-economy-class guitars, to the point where 20 years back, you'd get pure incredulity and surprised stares all around if you suggested that a Gibson, of all things, coulda come out of the factory incorrectly wired, ungrounded, or badly potted.

...cue in personal attacks.

ARE YOU PERCHANCE UNDER THE IMPRESSION THAT I MIGHT SOMEHOW *LIKE* THIS?? ...nope. This is hella aggravating. And explaining myself to a 15yo, a couple trolls, and a few skimmers or dyslexics who never even READ the posts that they're talking about and are just taking the word of my opponents on - that's preeeetty dang highly unpleasant. You like being in court, talking to highway patrol cops at night, or getting nagged by your gf/wife? SAME FEELING.

PS:
                                btw, the VERY next thread I click on - two different people are saying exactly what I was, here literally: "
                                Originally posted by OsvyRock View Post
                                {on Edwards, a lower-end Japanese brand} Still would like to play one someday. They look like a more accesible way of getting a Gibson, but with another name in the headstock. Gibson nowadays are WAY overpriced!
                                " ...so what, when people hear RADIO STATIONS from Gibsons, I can't mention that quality ain't what it used to be (well duh - RADIO STATIONS!!) and prices are still up there (meant it as a veeeeery rhetorical and uncontroversial statement, seeing how it's soo obvious) without drawing all the trolls, but next topic over it's all people talk about, and all's good so long as it ain't me saying it somehow??? THEIR gibsons never picked up no radio. But they didn't like em anyway.
                                Last edited by Adieu; 04-16-2013, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X