Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best pickup for Metal/ Metalcore

Hi there,

I'm looking to upgrade one of my guitars pickups to get a better tone on my new set up. The guitar I'm looking to upgrade is an Ibanez s570b ( The INF's don't cut through well enough). I'm looking for a high output passive pickup. I play Metalcore and the sound im looking to aim towards Trivium and Killswitch Engage. The rig I'm currently using is a Blackstar Series One 200 with Ibanez TS-9 and boss NS2.

Any advice would be great!

Cheers

James

Re: Best pickup for Metal/ Metalcore

Hi and welcome to the forum. Both of those bands and the typical metal core tone comes from actives usually EMG or Blackouts but if you want passive I suggest the Duncan Distortion in the bridge and if you want to have decent cleans put a jazz or 59 in the neck
    Originally posted by KBliss
    WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
    Originally posted by trevorus
    The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

Thanks for the welcome and thanks for the info, I've heard Duncan Distortions pack a punch how are the 59s and jazz for distorted tones as well as cleans?

Comment

You will definitely like the Duncan Distortion in the bridge.. I have those in 2 of my guitars, one paired with a '59n in my Gibson V.. one of my favorite combos.. the 59s are pretty good with almost any guitar/style you can think of..

The Jazz sounds great clean, and very good under lighter distortion tho I find myself messing about with the EQ..

What I like about the DD is it sounds great when you detune without getting farty/flabby.. it also sounds great if you wire it to an on/on or push pull pot to give you series/parallel.
        It has a lot of character for such a high output pickup

Welcome to the forum

Comment

Reference this thread:

Duncan Distortion pretty much reigns supreme. KSE does use EMGs, 81s if I am not mistaken.

Between the Duncan Distortion & EMG 81, those are what my two main guitars have in the bridge spots.

Comment

I have Ducnan Distortions, and I am playing a style very similar to yours. You can't go wrong with them.
            Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
            Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
            Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
            Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
            Line 6 Helix
            Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Duncan Distortion

Comment

Thanks for the great advice. Il see about getting a distortion in the bridge and a 59 in the neck at my local store. GREAT FORUM!

Comment

Haha the moment I saw "metalcore" the first pickup that came to mind was the distortion. Although it is a pretty versatile rock pickup it doesn't get much better for what you are after. It is tight, aggressive and in your face when gained up.

Comment

Working...
                  X