Throbak DT-102's vs Antiquities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throbak DT-102's vs Antiquities

I recently purchased a R8 with the Throbak pickups. I've heard quite a lot about these on other forums I frequent. I must say these are very good sounding. Very good sustain and rich in harmonic overtones. I would have never tried them, had they not already been in the guitar I purchased, due to the price of admission. However, I may pony up to for a set in my R7, which now houses my Antiquities.

When I first bought the Ants, I immediately upgraded the magnets to rough cast full strength A2's. Inspired by the DT-102's, I recently put an UOA5 in the bridge. Very happy with the results. But to me the Throbaks do have a little more going on with the harmonic content. I know the build qualities are very similar in both sets. Has anyone tried both sets in the same guitar?

They guy I bought the guitar from thinks the Throbak's were a little better. He's the same guy I purchased the Ant's from, they were in the same R8. However, he only had the original degaussed mags to compare with.

Re: Throbak DT-102's vs Antiquities

Originally posted by Mars Hall View Post
    The guy I bought the guitar from thinks the Throbak's were a little better. He's the same guy I purchased the Ant's from, they were in the same R8. However, he only had the original degaussed mags to compare with.
    Get an A3neck/UOA5bridge mag combo for the Ants and be happy ever after.

HTH,

Comment

Re: Throbak DT-102's vs Antiquities

I have not tried the Throbaks and likely won't...

I have tried loads of PAF style pickups and while some are better than others none of them really nail any of the sets of real PAF's I have tried however the Antiquities are amazing pickups and I am as happy with them as I could be short of a set of real 50's PAF's.

If you like the Antiquities but still feel the need for improvement magnet swaps are easy and work wonders in those pickups...
      If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Working...
      X