Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New pickups or magnets for Jackson KE2 - Metal

Dear Duncan Enthousiasts,

Since the wiring of my Jackson KE2 is crapping out on me, I decided to completely disassemble the electronics and redo everything. I always had problems with the JB giving feedback at high volumes and I don't know whether it has to do with the bad shielding/wiring in the guitar or maybe the pickup has become microphonic over the years? As I need to resolder everything, this is the right moment to ask myself whether the JB is the right pickup for me.

The KE2 was my first really high end guitar and I always loved the sound of the JB, because it was so versatile. Now I also have a PRS Custom 24 and to be honest I no longer need the versatility in my Jackson. I use the Jackson in my Thrash Metal band. We tune to D-standard and play stuff like Kreator, Sodom, Overkill, Exodus, Morgoth, Bolt Thrower,... I use a Axe-FX II, with a Matrix poweramp, going through a passive FRFR monitor.

The only thing that I don't like with the JB is that it gets a little muddy when playing fast deathmetal-like riffs. Especially on the lowest string/lowest frets. So If I'd decide to buy a new pickup I'd like something that is very articulate and tight in the low end. To be honest I don't like to much bass. What I do like is some tight agressive chugs and palm mutes.

I will install push-pull pots for splitting everything to get the occasional clean sound.

Would I be better of with a new pickup? Or should I try to install a ceramic magnet in the JB?

Thanks in advance!

Didier

Re: New pickups or magnets for Jackson KE2 - Metal

I would try the Alnico 8 in the JB first, if that doesn't work out for you swap it for a Distortion....

Comment

I love thrash too, and I took the JB out of my Jackson SL2H. It was replaced by a PATB-2 (distortion) model. This pick up does not get recommended enough around here. AWESOME pick up for metal for both rhythm and lead work. If you want some cleans, its good enough at that too and if you want versatility I hear it splits very well. (I'll be doing this soon)

For rhythm, it has the thickness and aggressiveness of an Invader/Custom combined with the crunch of the Distortion. For soloing it's kind of a cross between the Custom and the JB. (It does not have the fizz that the Distortion has when playing solos)

Great pick up. You won't regret it.

Comment

I use the TB-5 duncan custom in my kelly and was looking for the same basic things you are
        tight palm mutes,aggressive great harmonics.
        on a side note the custom is very magnet friendly so if the stock doesnt do it for you just swap the magnet ,but from what you are looking for i will bet on the stock staying in your kelly
        Excellent deals with,
        Frank falbo,Rockstarnick,SrDeMaFp,Joyouswolf,SFW,gpengui ns
        Jacksontrader,Latsmcgee,IndySG,Ghostmaker,
        slaveunit,atreidesheir,appar111,ex-250,dominus,
        guitarkingdomworks,appar111,ginoames,chickencoop,
        51501984,guitarfreak,notesfield,raybarbeemusic,
        king izzo,Tone scavenger,Heem6,Checo,metalmachine,MetLking

Comment

Working...
        X