anyone play a PRS 59/09?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone play a PRS 59/09?

I have a custom 24 with these! Uncovered with square bobbins haha.

Great pickups love them!

Just curious which Duncans you guys find similar...

Probably won't change them out for a long while though!
    AMPLIFIER: Diezel VH4 (2007 updated in 2011)
    CABINET: VHT 4x12 FB (Eminence P50Es)
    GUITAR: PRS Custom 24 (2012 with Seymour Duncan Custom Shop pickups)
    EFFECTS: G Major 2, EHX DMM (Older model)
    Tuner: Korg DTR-1

Re: anyone play a PRS 59/09?

You got one with the new "squabbins" eh? They are my favourite of the new PRS pickups for sure! They are slightly overwound PAF based pickups (~9k DC res) with great balance over the tonal spectrum. A little less low end and high end but with more output and midrange compared to a 'duncan '59. From what I have tried, the 59/Custom hybrid reminds me the most of the 59/09. I am also thinking the "whole lotta humbucker" bridge or a custom shop '78 would be pretty similar as well.

Comment

Originally posted by VHTJay View Post
      You got one with the new "squabbins" eh? They are my favourite of the new PRS pickups for sure! They are slightly overwound PAF based pickups (~9k DC res) with great balance over the tonal spectrum. A little less low end and high end but with more output and midrange compared to a 'duncan '59. From what I have tried, the 59/Custom hybrid reminds me the most of the 59/09. I am also thinking the "whole lotta humbucker" bridge or a custom shop '78 would be pretty similar as well.
      Yep! I have a 2012 custom 24 those were the stock ones. Very interesting cause the bobbin is also arched relative to the string radius.

And

Couldn't agree more! The 59/Custom Hybrid is my favorite Duncan to date, but I think I found a new love.... the new Pegasus looks and sounds amazing... if only a six string was available my amp (Diezel VH4) totally jells with lower output pickups!

Comment

That's awesome man! What colour is your Custom 24? I don't have any PRS's right now with 59/09's but I agree....no real need to change them as they sound great; unless you just want a different tone.

You are right about the Diezel's sounding better with lower output pickups. I had a Herbert up until last year and while different than your VH4, I found it responded better with lower output pickups. Alot of it is just how much gain and compression the Diezel's have!

Just an FYI....if you ever want to try another pickup in your Custom 24 I would recommend some iteration of the S-Deco. They are moderate output (~12k DC res), super articulate and sound dynamite in a PRS!

Comment

That's awesome man! What colour is your Custom 24? I don't have any PRS's right now with 59/09's but I agree....no real need to change them as they sound great; unless you just want a different tone.

You are right about the Diezel's sounding better with lower output pickups. I had a Herbert up until last year and while different than your VH4, I found it responded better with lower output pickups. Alot of it is just how much gain and compression the Diezel's have!

Just an FYI....if you ever want to try another pickup in your Custom 24 I would recommend some iteration of the S-Deco. They are moderate output (~12k DC res), super articulate and sound dynamite in a PRS!
          Haha! She is Evergreen:

Beauty... if I must say so myself

Ah! Yep! Love the Herebert and, well, all the Diezel line! I definitely agree! They have SOOO much gain and it is pretty much completely usable gain too. Not like a few amps I have tried where the gain is only good up until a certain point

Hmmmmm. I know I have heard of this pickup before, but I have never checked it out. I definitely will! I am going to try a few different pickups in this guitar soon, but will probably end up keeping the 59/09s

Comment

Dayyyum! That is an awesome quilt on there....and evergreen is an awesome colour!! Jeez, now you are making me GAS for Custom24 again! Haha!

Also, I just checked out the Merrow vid on the Pegasus and you were right; wow is that thing clear and articulate!! Pretty much spot on in how they have advertised it, which is awesome! Unfortunately, no 7's for me anymore

Comment

Dayyyum! That is an awesome quilt on there....and evergreen is an awesome colour!! Jeez, now you are making me GAS for Custom24 again! Haha!

Also, I just checked out the Merrow vid on the Pegasus and you were right; wow is that thing clear and articulate!! Pretty much spot on in how they have advertised it, which is awesome! Unfortunately, no 7's for me anymore
              Haha! Thanks! It took me a while to find the right one

Oh no! I have spread the GAS :/

Yeah, he totally rocked that pickup's world. I think it would be a good pair with the Diezel line. No 7s for me right now either :/

Comment

Working...
              X