banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Make a PRS SE Custom sound more like a Les Paul...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Make a PRS SE Custom sound more like a Les Paul...

Originally posted by VHTJay View Post
    A Les Paul double cut standard just like that one but in green was my main gigging guitar for years! I put a custom5 in the bridge and a '59 in the neck......AWESOME guitars! One I wish I never got rid of. Ya, the scale length does play a big role....those double cuts are chambered and have more PRS like dimensions...but it still sounds more les paul than PRS custom! This is me going off on a tangent...but I think that is why the PRS SC58's and 245's do WAYYYY better than the OG singlecuts (25inch scale) ever did. Guys want to cop that gibby tone. Personally, I prefer the longer scale.
    Man, so awesome they have this! I've seen the double cutaways but never with a 24fret board. Too bad it's chambered though, but yeah definitely gonna be closer to the sound because it is a Gibson, and the Stopbar Tun-o-matic. this will have to be the next guitar I buy, unless I can get Gibson to build me my own signature series, ya know, whichever comes first 3~D

Thanks for all your help guys, I'm gonna take these narrowed down options and bring them to the Duncan staff and the experts at the guitar shops in Sac and then make a decision. I'll let ya know what I end up goin with, how it works out, AND how that EVH Wolfgang sounds in my LP when I transfer it over 3~D

Comment

Make a PRS SE Custom sound more like a Les Paul...

Jb8 would probably be exactly what you want. But you'd have to buy the pup and then then change the mag. Alt 8 may be a good option too. Hard to say because the prs are built for mids.

Comment

Is there anyone's sound you would like to get in the ballpark of? I have a LP and PRS Custom 24 so maybe I can help a bit.

Here are some options I would look into:

SD:
        Alnico Pro 2 set would be good.
        Custom 5/ Jazz neck is great option too.
        For a true LP sound you could go with Antiquities.

Dimarzio:
        Petrucci Set (crunch Lab/Liquifire)
        Tonezone could work in the bridge as well.

Gibson:
        57' Classics could are always nice and warm.

Suhr:
        SSV neck/SSH+ I use this set in my PRS and I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by JayD. View Post
          Is there anyone's sound you would like to get in the ballpark of? I have a LP and PRS Custom 24 so maybe I can help a bit.

SD:
          Alnico Pro 2 set would be good.
          Custom 5/ Jazz neck is great option too.
          For a true LP sound you could go with Antiquities.

Dimarzio:
          Petrucci Set (crunch Lab/Liquifire)
          Tonezone could work in the bridge as well.

Gibson:
          57' Classics could are always nice and warm.

Suhr:
          SSV neck/SSH+ I use this set in my PRS and I love it.
          as far as sound, not realllllly. The sound I want seems very traditonal and simple in my head, but none of my favorite influences or anyone else has done it. The only thing thats remotely close is ACDC Back In Black style.

as far as the p-ups you suggested, I'm.thinking I need to stick with an Alnico5, because the 2 isn't beefy enough. i completely agree that the PRS is a mid focused guitar, which is why the EVH didnt help as far as the sound I'm trying to get. I spoke with a Dincan tech today, we also decided in order to get the POWER (and incidentally but unnecessarily disortion) I want the SH-14 or the SH-6 are the two best options.

I have definitely read a lot of reviews on the Crunchlab and Tonezone from Dimarzio (and like 2others: D-activator and ravity Storm, Mo joe?) but I havent dug deep there yet. And I'm. also already thinking a Gibson '57 or 57plus is a contender.

Never heard of Suhr...

Comment

SH-14 Custom 5 is a awesome pickup. My favorite SD combo is the Custom V and jazz neck. The Jazz is also a Alnico V magnet.......

Originally posted by AJAlegria View Post
            as far as sound, not realllllly. The sound I want seems very traditonal and simple in my head, but none of my favorite influences or anyone else has done it. The only thing thats remotely close is ACDC Back In Black style.

as far as the p-ups you suggested, I'm.thinking I need to stick with an Alnico5, because the 2 isn't beefy enough. i completely agree that the PRS is a mid focused guitar, which is why the EVH didnt help as far as the sound I'm trying to get. I spoke with a Dincan tech today, we also decided in order to get the POWER (and incidentally but unnecessarily disortion) I want the SH-14 or the SH-6 are the two best options.

I have definitely read a lot of reviews on the Crunchlab and Tonezone from Dimarzio (and like 2others: D-activator and ravity Storm, Mo joe?) but I havent dug deep there yet. And I'm. also already thinking a Gibson '57 or 57plus is a contender.

Never heard of Suhr...

Comment

yeah, the 14 seems to be rather unsung/unknown but seems like the way to go. Good to know you like it so much, that will carry some weight when I make my final decision. This will be a 3week endeavor to research everything but hey, nothin wrong with having to just study guitar stuff for hours on end AND get to feel productive. 3~͵D

Comment

If the SH-14 is in your selection I will cast another vote that way. Like I said; a double cut LP standard with a Custom5 was my "go to" axe for many years! Like a custom, it will beef up your tone and has enough power you can use it for any type of rock. Some guys dislike it because it is scooped in the mids, but it isn't so mid scooped you vanish in a mix or can't compensate on your amp! The distortion is a wicked pickup, but if you are trying to get more "les paul" from your PRS, I think the Custom is the way to go!

Comment

Still standing by my Super Distortion recommendation...

Comment

Originally posted by VHTJay View Post
                    If the SH-14 is in your selection I will cast another vote that way. Like I said; a double cut LP standard with a Custom5 was my "go to" axe for many years! Like a custom, it will beef up your tone and has enough power you can use it for any type of rock. Some guys dislike it because it is scooped in the mids, but it isn't so mid scooped you vanish in a mix or can't compensate on your amp! The distortion is a wicked pickup, but if you are trying to get more "les paul" from your PRS, I think the Custom is the way to go!

Good call, the fact that the LP is a double cutaway and a chambered body is going to make it a pretty decent comparison. I'm also using the SG as a guide while browsing the Gibson site and pickup reviews to match what tones they are getting.

Comment

Originally posted by Frogman View Post
                      Still standing by my Super Distortion recommendation...
                      Now, are you referring to the SH-6 Duncan Distortion, or the Dimarzio DP-100 Super Distortion?

Comment

I think a set neck and a fixed bridge are decisive for the sound you are after. .010 gauge string might also be a factor.

I own a PRS Santana SE with a JB in the bridge. Comes very close to the sound you describe.

I can not imagine it would work with a fixed bridge, however.

Comment

I play mostly rock and metal, but not the weird new metal where all you do is a bunch of one-note palm muted stuff on the low E. I don't like massive amounts distortion, I like massive amounts of POWER, if that makes any sense. So the pickup doesn't NEED to be molten-hot, just a little on the hotter side should be fine
                          A Custom with an A8 magnet will give you what you're asking for in spades and then some.

It cleans up very nicely, and it sounds excellent clean, even with the volume on 10.

You only need to find the "sweet spot" of that p'up, then adjust the neck p'up accordingly.

As you have a 24-fretter, an A4 '59screw/JazzSlug Neck hybrid will balance nicely, both tone- and output-wise.

HTH,

Comment

Custom 8's and alnico 8 magnets in general are pretty good at making light guitars sound huge.
                            Regarding any post I've made before 2018, assume I've changed my mind by now.

Comment

Now, are you referring to the SH-6 Duncan Distortion, or the Dimarzio DP-100 Super Distortion?
                              Dimarzio.

Comment

Working...
                              X