500V-250T pots, or vice versa?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 500V-250T pots, or vice versa?

I have a guitar with 1 volume and 1 tone- both 500k.
    It's a solid maple neck Strat with some reasonably bright Pafs and I'd like to warm it up a bit. I want to go about it by changing a 500k pot to a 250k one.

Which pot should I change? I would think that no matter which one I changed (the vol or the tone pot) it would instantly reduce the others capacity ti 250k- but I have feeling that's not the case.
    Is it?

Re: 500V-250T pots, or vice versa?

In principle, volume pot but, I bet you will do more with a magnet swap, by example throwing A2 or A4 magnets there. It's also cheaper.
    Leave Blueman335 or Lt. Kojak to guide you in that subject.
    My blog: http://hermeticoguitar.blogspot.com
    My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/hermeticoguitar

Comment

Use 500k resistors to turn your 500k pots into 250k pots. cheaper than buying new pots/ magnets. And the great thing is you could only use one for the bridge pickup if you wanted and keep the neck pickup bright and seeing a 500k pot. If you have to change one, changing the volume pot would make the biggest difference.
      our first drummer died in a bizzare gardening accident!

I won't dance in a club like this,
      'Cause all the girls are sluts,
      And the beer tastes just like piss.

Comment

Originally posted by hermetico View Post
        In principle, volume pot but, I bet you will do more with a magnet swap, by example throwing A2 or A4 magnets there. It's also cheaper.
        Leave Blueman335 or Lt. Kojak to guide you in that subject.
        Yeah, I know- but I've messed around with so many pick-ups, I wanted to leave these both untouched.
        They're both covered and they look so....untouched!
        That's why I said I wanted to go about it by changing the pot.

Comment

Originally posted by jake_xms3_punk View Post
          Use 500k resistors to turn your 500k pots into 250k pots. cheaper than buying new pots/ magnets. And the great thing is you could only use one for the bridge pickup if you wanted and keep the neck pickup bright and seeing a 500k pot. If you have to change one, changing the volume pot would make the biggest difference.
          I only have one vol and one tone so I couldn't only change the bridge tone.

But where would I connect the 500k resistor on the vol pot?

Comment

You could wire it between the two outer lugs of the pot to make the whole pot 250k or if you just want the bridge pickup to see a 250k pot just wire it from the hot wire of the pickup and ground on the back of the pot

Comment

You could wire it between the two outer lugs of the pot to make the whole pot 250k or if you just want the bridge pickup to see a 250k pot just wire it from the hot wire of the pickup and ground on the back of the pot
              I'm going to try the resistor between the bridge hot wire and the back of the pot.
              Last edited by KRKBAB; 04-18-2013, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Cool let us know how it turns out. It's a cool little trick I use for strats with a humbuckers and single coils. One volume knob that acts as a 500k pot for the humbucker and a 250k pot for the singles is great!

Comment

Cool let us know how it turns out. It's a cool little trick I use for strats with a humbuckers and single coils. One volume knob that acts as a 500k pot for the humbucker and a 250k pot for the singles is great!
                  -went to Radio Shack and couldn't find exactly what I wanted- so I opted to just change out the Vol. pot from 500 to 250
                  Results- success!
                  With the solid maple bolt on neck- alder body Strat and 2 Dimarzio Virtual Pafs the 250 kills on this guitar.
                  The bridge is now how I wanted it to be and the neck still has the highs that I want.

Comment

Yup, that's true but... it also changes the taper.
                    But, it's good enough to know how much will would do a lower resistance pot will do for you.
                    My blog: http://hermeticoguitar.blogspot.com
                    My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/hermeticoguitar

Comment

Working...
                    X