banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Mgnets are IN !- recommendations, please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Mgnets are IN !- recommendations, please?

My goal:
    I want the highs of the neck pickup to match the highs of the bridge pickup.
    I'm not concerned with matching output levels between each pickup- just the high frequencies.

So my question(s) are:
    Which magnets should I put in which pickups?
    and
    What positions should the two pickups occupy?

Pickups- PafPro and Evolution Neck
    available magnets- roughcast A4 (2) and roughcast UOA5 (2)
    Guitar- Alder body- maple/rosewood neck- H/H Strat

The PafPro could go in either position, and the Evo Neck also could (although not designed to).
    The only combo I came up with is A4 PafPro in neck and UOA5 Evo Neck in the bridge.

thanks

Re: My Mgnets are IN !- recommendations, please?

I would put the hottest in the bridge. You'll never match the highs or tone of a neck pickup to those of a bridge pickup, the neck position is naturally warmer and the bridge position is naturally brighter with any pickup. I would put the uoa5 in the bridge to smooth the highs a bit and lower the neck pickup and raise the pole pieces to get a bit more high end. Maybe an a5 or a3 would work well in the neck? You could also use a 250k pot in the bridge and 1meg in the neck depending on how much brighter the bridge pickup is.
    our first drummer died in a bizzare gardening accident!

I won't dance in a club like this,
    'Cause all the girls are sluts,
    And the beer tastes just like piss.

Comment

Yep, highs will never match....thats the bit about a neck, it has softer top-end.

Try the UOA5 in the bridge and the A4 in the neck. That will soften the bridge highs a bit and keep the neck eq more equal than the other way around. If there is an A5 hanging about then see how that goes in the neck too.

Comment

Thanks for responding, folks- I appreciate it.
        However, that's good basic 101 info.

I listed two specific mags and two specific pickups.

I have 250k pots in my axe.

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by KRKBAB View Post
          I have 250k pots in my axe.
          That could be your problem. changing the neck pickup pots to 500k would result in a brighter neck pickup.
          our first drummer died in a bizzare gardening accident!

I won't dance in a club like this,
          'Cause all the girls are sluts,
          And the beer tastes just like piss.

Comment

Originally posted by jake_xms3_punk View Post
            That could be your problem. changing the neck pickup pots to 500k would result in a brighter neck pickup.
            I'm not sure you read my questions properly?

I don't have a problem. (And of course changing from a 250k to a 500k would brighten anything- what's that got to do with my questions?)

I just wanted suggestions on which magnets (A4 and UOA5 only) to put in which pickups (Evo Neck and PafPro only) into which slot (neck or bridge on an H/H Strat).

ps- I intentionally put the 250k pots in.
            Last edited by KRKBAB; 04-20-2013, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Don't get testy KRKBAB, we're only trying to help you. In your original post you listed your goal....

My goal:
              I want the highs of the neck pickup to match the highs of the bridge pickup.
              I'm not concerned with matching output levels between each pickup- just the high frequencies.
              While mag swaps are one way to approach the solution, jake_xms3_punk has tried another (maybe more appropriate) way to help you with your goal.

You didn't say anything about pots, only two different magnet types. So you are expecting to get the perfect resolution to your problem only within those parameters? And you refuse any help beyond that? Even go as far as to say that ..."(you) don't have a problem"? And you say that..."(you) intentionally put the 250k pots in"?

In your original post you asked for help to match the highs of your neck pup to the highs of your bridge pup. Since pot values are mainly concerned with highs, the suggestion to change your neck pots to 500k was indeed valid. And obviously overlooked by you in your "basic 101" course. You have sabotaged yourself, judging by your admission to intentionally putting 250k pots in both positions, and now you're getting angry with a forum bro who has given you appropriate help.

I think you would be wise to graciously accept the help you receive by well-meaning forumites instead of replying the way you did with sarcasm and contention.

Does your name "KRKBAB" stand for "krack baby"? Just curious.
              Last edited by GuitarDoc; 04-21-2013, 08:45 AM.
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                Does your name "KRKBAB" stand for "crack baby"? Just curious.
                Thats the spirit While chewing him out for being indignant I can get on board with the extra remark is a bit childish
                "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Yeah, I admit I can be a bit childish...in my second childhood, I suppose. It was just some idle curiosity, though. Not necessarily anything meant. I guess I just get a little too intolerent of that New English liberal narcisistic self-righteous closed-minded dogma every now and then.

Or maybe it's my senility or regression. Comes with the advanced age. Can't help it.

Comment

Don't get testy KRKBAB, we're only trying to help you. In your original post you listed your goal....

While mag swaps are one way to approach the solution, jake_xms3_punk has tried another (maybe more appropriate) way to help you with your goal.

You didn't say anything about pots, only two different magnet types. So you are expecting to get the perfect resolution to your problem only within those parameters? And you refuse any help beyond that? Even go as far as to say that ..."(you) don't have a problem"? And you say that..."(you) intentionally put the 250k pots in"?

In your original post you asked for help to match the highs of your neck pup to the highs of your bridge pup. Since pot values are mainly concerned with highs, the suggestion to change your neck pots to 500k was indeed valid. And obviously overlooked by you in your "basic 101" course. You have sabotaged yourself, judging by your admission to intentionally putting 250k pots in both positions, and now you're getting angry with a forum bro who has given you appropriate help.

I think you would be wise to graciously accept the help you receive by well-meaning forumites instead of replying the way you did with sarcasm and contention.

Does your name "KRKBAB" stand for "krack baby"? Just curious.

You have unnecessarily chided me. You may have had good intentions, but I simply think you're wrong.

Here's Exactly what I asked:

and

There is nothing wrong (or non 101-ish) about using 250k pots in a solid bolt on maple neck- alder body strat (which is also in my post).
                    I only mentioned that later because jake_xm... mentioned pots.

Also- I never said (or implied) that I want a lot of highs, or a little bit of highs- I just said I wanted the high end of each pick-up to be about the same.

Your Krack Baby comment sure sounds ridiculous.
                    Last edited by KRKBAB; 04-21-2013, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Yeah, I admit I can be a bit childish...in my second childhood, I suppose. It was just some idle curiosity, though. Not necessarily anything meant. I guess I just get a little too intolerent of that New English liberal narcisistic self-righteous closed-minded dogma every now and then.

Or maybe it's my senility or regression. Comes with the advanced age. Can't help it.

"New English liberal narcisistic self-righteous closed-minded dogma"

Wow, Doc- just wow!

Comment

KRKBAB, Dude take a chill pill. Every one's just trying to help. And as far as Doc's comment..ya a bit childish, but ya know us older guys (LOL) revert back now and then. If you were in our seats reading that you would have laugh your a$s off too. Now back to your noble quest..... Just taking a wild a$s guess, I would start off putting the hotter of the two pups in to the bridge (as jake had suggested) with the UOA5 in it, and the other pup in to the neck slot with the A4 in it. Play around with the PU and pole piece heights, then try it with a 500K pot for the neck PU. Then repeat every thing with an UOA5 in both PUs, then repeating every thing with an A4 in the bridge PU. Then with A4s in both, and don't forget to switch the neck pot back and forth with each mag swop. As you do this proses you may notice certain nuances that may give you clues as to what the best combinations may be, narrowing down the proses. Good luck, and let know what you find out.
                        Where Words Fail, Music Speaks
                        If a positive attitude is a Magnet for positive results, what type positive attitude sounds best, A2, A5, UOA5, A8, C8, or?

Comment

You have unnecessarily chided me. You may have had good intentions, but I simply think you're wrong.

Here's Exactly what I asked:

and

There is nothing wrong (or non 101-ish) about using 250k pots in a solid bolt on maple neck- alder body strat (which is also in my post).
                          I only mentioned that later because jake_xm... mentioned pots.

Also- I never said (or implied) that I want a lot of highs, or a little bit of highs- I just said I wanted the high end of each pick-up to be about the same.

OK, that's fair.

You are correct that there is nothing wrong with using 250k pots. A little unusual with HH. But nothing at all wrong...per se. But different value pots are used for a specific purpose...generally to affect the amount of high frequencies that are shunted to ground. (Caps are used to help control that loss as the pots are rotated from fully-on to fully-grounded.)

So let's get this straight.

Info you have given us...

You have an HH Strat - alder body, maple neck, rosewood board;
                          You have two pups;
                          One is brighter (has more highs) than the other;
                          You want the highs of the neck pup to match the highs of the bridge pup;
                          You want us to correct the mismatch by only using A4 and UOA5 mags;
                          You don't care which position each pup goes into;
                          You're not concerned about any mismatch in output between the two pups;
                          You have 250k pots which you apparently are not willing to change;
                          And you feel that you don't have a problem.

Info we are to assume...

The two pups have different output levels;
                          One pup is brighter (has more highs) than the other.
                          (Both of these are reasonable assumptions).

Important info you have not given us...

Which pup has the higher output, and how much is the difference?;
                          Which pup sounds the brightest to you, by how much?

Typically, the bridge pup has more output (which also generally increases the mids). And by virtue of it's position, has a brighter, thinner sound with more highs and less lows. If our quest is to match the highs of the neck pup to the bridge pup, then that means we are going to try to add some treble to the neck pup. There is such a subtle difference in how the A4 and UOA5 affect the highs, that by only using these tools your "problem" as outlined probably cannot be solved. But, again, we haven't been given the most important information (above). How much effect is wanted?

There is nothing sacred about having 250k pots in a Strat. Especially if it is an HH Strat. It totally depends on the tonal outcome you want to acheive. The simplest, most obvious, easiest, quickest, most reasonable potential solution to your "problem" is to try a 500k pot on your neck pup as has been suggested.

This is all "basic 101", which you indicate you're on to.

So, why are you so resistent to accept good words of advice?

At this point, the best answer to acheiving your goal is for you to try a little experimenting on your own with your guitar and pups and see what gets you closest to what you want. As was suggested...try the pups in each position; play with their heights and their pole pieces; change mags to your heart's content; and, yes, even try different pots. If you can't get exactly what you are looking for, then come back with an open mind and some specifics about what you don't like and what (exactly) you want to obtain (eg: "I just need a tiny bit more treble in my neck pup. Everything else is perfect. I've tried such and such and here is where I am...etc").

We, actually, will be glad to help you. That's what we are all here for...to help and be helped.
                          Last edited by GuitarDoc; 04-22-2013, 08:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by J E C View Post
                            KRKBAB, Dude take a chill pill. Every one's just trying to help. And as far as Doc's comment..ya a bit childish, but ya know us older guys (LOL) revert back now and then. If you were in our seats reading that you would have laugh your a$s off too. Now back to your noble quest..... Just taking a wild a$s guess, I would start off putting the hotter of the two pups in to the bridge (as jake had suggested) with the UOA5 in it, and the other pup in to the neck slot with the A4 in it. Play around with the PU and pole piece heights, then try it with a 500K pot for the neck PU. Then repeat every thing with an UOA5 in both PUs, then repeating every thing with an A4 in the bridge PU. Then with A4s in both, and don't forget to switch the neck pot back and forth with each mag swop. As you do this proses you may notice certain nuances that may give you clues as to what the best combinations may be, narrowing down the proses. Good luck, and let know what you find out.
                            I'm 56- sheee-it!

Doc seems (to me) to be overprotective- that's not a problem though per se. It just seems he's too quick to get on my ass sometimes.

J E C- all your advice is really good, but all stuff I'm really familiar with. I was thinking (because the PafPro and Evo are real popular DMZs) and there are lots of DMZ users on this forum, that I would get direct advice specific to the pickups I mentioned- that's all.

as far as my confrontational attitude- I've always been like that.
                            I think I turned out that way from getting the crap bullied outta' me through most of my school years! it is what it is

ps- I decided against the Evo- it's just too stiff.
                            What I tried is this- an A4 Seth Lover (bridge/neck hybrid) in the neck, and a DMZ Virtual PAFb in the bridge- of my rosewood fretboard Strat (I have two almost identical Strats- one solid maple neck and the other rosewood board).

The Virtual PAF is covered and I don't want to open it up so it remains a typical A5.- This sounds okay- not that bad, but decent.
                            The Seth (hybrid) A4 is a little weird (I tried an A5 Seth before and it was too harsh). I'm gonna give those two pickups a little more time.

In my Solid maple neck Strat- I have a DMZ Virtual PAFn in the neck and a UOA5 PafPro in the bridge.

This combo is a WINNER!
                            The DMZ Virtual PAFn in the neck (again, stock A5) is as awe inspiring as a Seth. They don't make this pickup anymore, but I found some NOS Virtual PAFs.
                            The UOA5 PafPro is very good- just under AWE inspiring - but maybe after a day or two, the magnet will fully adapt and kick it up into the awe zone.

This is my 250/500k pot info-
                            I've tried many combinations and have decided that i am clearly a 250k pot guy (In Strats) even with humbuckers. Well, you know the kind of humbuckers I use are generally PAF types and bright enough for 250s to work with.

I've also decided that the sounds that inspire me are Humbuckers in Strats. Not buckers in 24 & 3/4 scale guitars and not single coils in 25 & 1/2 scale guitars.

It's a great warm but stingy sound for my purposes.

Sorry for the run-on post.

thanks for your interest

Comment

All right KRKBAB, that is some good info and news. Have been thinking of trying a 250K Vol in my Strat to see what it would be like. Alder body, no finish, slab Maple neck with Rose wood FB, OFR with a big block, and a 59/C trem spaced with an UOA5. I am liking it more than I ever have so far, but want to try some other things with it...after all it has always been a test bed for various different ideas, fixtures, and templates
                              Where Words Fail, Music Speaks
                              If a positive attitude is a Magnet for positive results, what type positive attitude sounds best, A2, A5, UOA5, A8, C8, or?

Comment

Working...
                              X