Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pots and caps question

hey folks,

i have a MIM fender strat and planning on installing some pick ups i have lying around. tone zone s in the bridge and a hot rails in the neck.

(1) will 250k pots sound too dark with these pickups? should i use 500k pots instead?

(2) do i have to change all pots to 500k? what is the difference if i just change the volume pot to 500k only vs all pots to 500k?

(3) i've read that you can make a 500k pot "behave" like a 250k pot by adding a resistor. can the opposite be possible too? making a 250k pot "behave" like a 500k?

(4) what value cap do i need if i want to do a treble bleed mod for this set up?

sorry if these are newbie questions, but i'm new to guitar electronics.

if you got the time, please help.

Thanks!

Re: pots and caps question

For humbuckers in a Strat.. Use a 500k for the volume.. and yes, the 250k will be too dark IMHO
    However, I prefer how 250k pots taper, and use those for tone control(s)

Comment

Re: pots and caps question

If you've got 250k pots in therre now, I'd just try the new pups with those pots and see what you do or don't like about them. Then decide whether or not to replace any of the pots.

Yes you can try wiring in a resister to quickly see if the pot change will get you close to what you want. If you've got 250k's in there, add a 250k resister in series with the output of the vol pot to give you an approximation of a 500k pot when it's wide open. The values will not be the same as a 500k, however, when you roll off the vol.
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
      X