banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SSL-1, SSlL-1, Lil Screamin' Deamin or SSL-2....other?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSL-1, SSlL-1, Lil Screamin' Deamin or SSL-2....other?

I would like to fill out a Warmoth Strat with SSL-1 in neck and middle position (reverse wound for the latter) and then either a third SSL-1 in the bridge position, or possible an SSL-2 (which is simply a non-staggered, flat SSL-1), or a Lil Screamin' Demon.

I like the vintage sounds of the SSL-1's in the neck and mid positions but they are a little weak in the bridge position and therefore I'm considering either the SSL-2 (flat), or the Lil Screamin' Demon - and of course very open to including a third SSL-1 or even a humbucker in that third/bridge position.

Thank you for any recommendations!
    Last edited by Diminished Triad; 04-21-2013, 05:10 AM.

Re: SSL-1, SSlL-1, Lil Screamin' Deamin or SSL-2....other?

Originally posted by Diminished Triad View Post
    I would like to fill out a Warmoth Strat with SSL-1 in neck and middle position (reverse wound for the latter) and then either a third SSL-1 in the bridge position, or possible an SSL-2 (which is simply a non-staggered, flat SSL-1), or a Lil Screamin' Demon.

I like the vintage sounds of the SSL-1's in the neck and mid positions but they are a little weak in the bridge position and therefore I'm considering either the SSL-2 (flat), or the Lil Screamin' Demon - and of course very open to including a third SSL-1 or even a humbucker in that third/bridge position.

BUMP!
    Anyone with a recommendation for the 3rd pickup to accompany two SSL1's?
    Thanks again!!!

Comment

If it were me, I'd do SSL-1 but if you want a little hotter sounding pickup you could go for a Twangbanger or something like a SSL-5.

Comment

Originally posted by Diminished Triad View Post

ssl-2 is the same as an ssl-1 except flat so there is no real change there.
        I really love ssl-1's in all positions - with the tone control for bridge and middle and just adjust the outputs using the heights. However, my tastes lie very much in the old school strat sounds and not so much into the hotter more driven sound.
        Having said that, ive been through seven other sets of pickups in my strat over the 22 years its been with me so ive experimented a lot. I reckon for you, and ssl-5 will be just the ticket in the bridge.
        "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I almost always go with a much stronger, warmer, bridge pickup in a strat. The exception being when going for mainly an athentic notch position quack sound of the bridge and middle together in an SSS set up, rather than using bridge pickup alone. An extra hot bridge single coil may not get that notch sound as vintage as you want. You can auto split a bridge humbucker or stacked coil bridge pickup and get an acceptable notch sound and still have a stronger bridge position lead tone in many cases. But if that notch sound has to be vintage correct, then only vintage SSS will do.

Comment

Originally posted by Lake Placid Blues View Post
            I almost always go with a much stronger, warmer, bridge pickup in a strat. The exception being when going for mainly an athentic notch position quack sound of the bridge and middle together in an SSS set up, rather than using bridge pickup alone. An extra hot bridge single coil may not get that notch sound as vintage as you want. You can auto split a bridge humbucker or stacked coil bridge pickup and get an acceptable notch sound and still have a stronger bridge position lead tone in many cases. But if that notch sound has to be vintage correct, then only vintage SSS will do.
            You could get a pickup that has a tap at 6K or so. Its the 98% solution. Wire gauge on a hotter pickup will likely be smaller so splitting hares (intentionally misspelled) there will be a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by LReese View Post
              You could get a pickup that has a tap at 6K or so. Its the 98% solution. Wire gauge on a hotter pickup will likely be smaller so splitting hares (intentionally misspelled) there will be a difference.
              Thanks everyone!
              The SSL-1 starting to sound better... :-)

Comment

Working...
              X