Custom shop pickup compendium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom shop pickup compendium

The idea of this thread is to make a comprehensive guide to all the custom shop Seymour Duncan pickups that we as members have used. There really isn't alot of info describing the custom shop offerings and even looking at the listed specs can be misleading; especially when you factor in the unique winding patterns and magnet gaussing only available via the custom shop. I have received quite a few private messages over the years here pertaining to my posts when I comment on a custom shop pickup I own. Most of the time, the person sending the message wants to know more! I thought it would be good if we had a thread full of in depth reviews/impressions/comparisons for those curious about the custom shop offerings. Please feel free to post your experience with any of the custom shop pickups here. I would greatly appreciate it, and I am certain there are many others who would as well!

I will start.

S-DECO: I feel very confident talking about this pickup as I own a few and in a bunch of iterations including: A2, A5, A8 and full shred style with A8. TONE: The 'Deco is a PAF'ish humbucker that sits in that elusive middle ground between a screamin 'demon and the Custom. It is very versatile as it compresses nicely when you dig in but retains wonderful dynamics. With the standard A5 magnet, the pickup has a very tight and punchy bottom, broad and balanced mids and a present but musical top end that cuts but is not harsh. The A2 = a spongier bottom and an even smoother top end. The A8 = an eq boost everywhere while still retaining the overall vibe of the pickup. Two rows of short allen screws give a more focused sound. Some of the lows and highs are pared back. EQ: To my ears, the typical A5 version would be 5/7/8 using the B/M/T 'Duncan rating system.
    COMPARABLE PRODUCTION 'DUNCANS: there would be 2, although they do have their differences. They would be the '59/Custom hybrid, Screamin 'Demon. The 'Deco has a lowend response similar to the 'demon and fuller mids like a hybrid but is smoother in the top compared to both.

I will start with that!

Re: Custom shop pickup compendium

Interesting thread concept. I'll hafta put my 3 customs in a guitar and all that. I've got a CustomJr, DistortionJr, and JazzJr (JBJr/Lil59 format). I'll dig out the boxes with the gauss ratings on it.
    Originally posted by Brown Note
    I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
    My Blog

Comment

I have nothing to contribute to this thread other than saying this is a really good idea and I can't believe that there isn't more descriptive info on SD's custom shop offerings on their website. I mean I understand that custom is custom and you can tweak any model to infinity, but having just specs and half a line on what it sounds like/feels like or how it responds, it's not explanatory enough. not descriptive enough. Just not enough information.

Comment

Originally posted by CTN View Post
        I have nothing to contribute to this thread other than saying this is a really good idea and I can't believe that there isn't more descriptive info on SD's custom shop offerings on their website. I mean I understand that custom is custom and you can tweak any model to infinity, but having just specs and half a line on what it sounds like/feels like or how it responds, it's not explanatory enough. not descriptive enough. Just not enough information.
        The marketing efforts for the CS winds are truly in need of some help.

Comment

Custom shop pickup compendium

Originally posted by tonaholic View Post
          The marketing efforts for the CS winds are truly in need of some help.
          I've been thinking the same thing, since I didn't even know about the Dokken humbucker until MJ took it to the guitar show...and he says it sells more than the Super V. And the original El Diablo might even be more interesting to me than the Iommi/El Diablo.

For now, I can speak as to experience with the RTM and the 78. More so to the RTM. As having said before, the RTM is not just a JB with an A2. While it had a lot of the JB qualities, its as if its taken to the next level with many of the common complaints resolved. Most noted is the sweet high end that is wound to have more bite but not be shrill. I've put the RTM in a few solid maple bodies (one with ebony and one with rosewood) and an solid alder body with a maple board. These were all stock. Then I put one in an alder American Standard Strat with a maple board. All have real Floyds. Originally I thought the pickups didn't like alder as well as maple, but its working out so well in the solid alder Charvel that I'm thinking this issue is with the Strat. Nonetheless, I resolved the matter with the Strat by putting an UOA5 in there which put life and sparkle back in it. I'd ballpark the tone at about 5/6/7. Obvious comparable models would include the JB.

The 78 is brand new to me so I can't speak at any detail as much as many of the other guys around here can. If I had to make a first impression I'd compare it to may a more open sounding CC or a 59 with more grunt or a 59/C Hybrid with more oomph.

I'd have to suggest that it would be great to see more info on some of the CS models, including tone charts or even being put on the main tone chart.

And then there are the other things that I saw MJ take I the guitar show, like a FS set with gold screws and A2 mags. And a few of the other variations like that which I can't remember from the overload of going through all the possible options of models that she brought with her.

This thread is a good idea and I hope it gets traction.

Sent from my armored battle station using Tapatalk

Comment

Crazy 8
            Brobucker specs used to rebuild a Dmz stock Parker pickup
            A2Pro & CC specs to rebuild Parker pickups
            Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
            https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
            Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

'78---A very aggressive yet chewy overwound PAF. The top has a compression type of characteristic that makes notes hang in the air. The high mids cut through the mix in a manner similar to the JB but not as pronounced while the low mids give the pickup girth and body. The lows are a little spongey in an old school A2 way, but not soft in my opinion. I've tried this pickup in LPs, Strats, and a Custom 24. For some people the pickup might be a little thin in a strat or PRS depending on the bridge style.

Brobucker--The love child of a JB and Custom 5. From time to time I've called it the JB Lite. This pickup has more midrange content than a C5, but less high mids than the JB. The heavy wind makes for more output than you'd think possible. The degaussed alnico 5 is the reason you don't get the more strident A5 tones and can hear more of the low mids than normal. This pickup COULD sound congested in a very mids-rich guitar.

9k 42awg A2 for Strat Bridge--a psuedo CS model, this pickup is LOUD and PROUD! It is very thick and with its 9K you end up with a pickup that means BUSINESS no matter the music style. This pickup sounds ok in alder but could be considered too middy. The ideal situation is probably in an ash guitar where the mids are scooped so you get just a SMALL bump in the mids, nothing overly dramatic.

Luke
              “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

Luke Duke and Darth: thanks for chiming in boys, great reviews!

I will do another today.

OG EL DIABLO: I have had this beast since December and didn't want to review it until I tried it in a few different guitars and the "honeymoon" period wore off. As shown in Masta C's thread, it looks EXACTLY like a Screamin 'Demon. Tonally , however.....well I will get to that! Came with an A5 magnet (I have also tried it with an A8) and is wound to 14.6k. TONE: The extra winds bring the resonant peak down and tame the high end while providing an eq shift towards the midrange. Those single coil like highs (that some love and some hate) are seemingly replaced by throaty and punchy upper mids. Retained are the 'demons tight and quick lows. Honestly...this pickup cops an old school GL tone better than a 'demon IMO. There is no pickup in the lineup quite like this guy....it sounds almost like crossing a 'demon with a JB....I really do hear both in there regardless of the guitar! EQ: the 'demon is a 5/4/9 and I would say this guy would be a 5/6/9.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke Duke View Post

Brobucker--The love child of a JB and Custom 5. From time to time I've called it the JB Lite. This pickup has more midrange content than a C5, but less high mids than the JB. The heavy wind makes for more output than you'd think possible. The degaussed alnico 5 is the reason you don't get the more strident A5 tones and can hear more of the low mids than normal. This pickup COULD sound congested in a very mids-rich guitar.
                  Oh my... I'm glad I poked my head in here. I was thinking of building a JB/Custom hybrid for my EC1000, which is all mahogany with an ebony board. Think the BB would sound good in that?

Comment

Luke
                    Thanks for that review Luke. I missed out on the Bro As I was short of funds back then. I might get it now.
                    sigpic
                    Ibanez SA 120- Bridge JB Trembucker Neck Jazz
                    JFG Flying V,
                    "If you hear something you're unable to play, then you have room to grow."-Al Di Meola
                    John 8:32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Comment

Originally posted by B2D View Post
                      Oh my... I'm glad I poked my head in here. I was thinking of building a JB/Custom hybrid for my EC1000, which is all mahogany with an ebony board. Think the BB would sound good in that?
                      The EC1000 has a body that's a got a little less meat than a LP right? I think it should be fine since you're running through an amp with a full EQ in case you need to cut some mids. I really considered it a JB Lite that worked in a LP. Some times though the mids just had to be pulled back a little.

Originally posted by Jocelyn View Post
                      Thanks for that review Luke. I missed out on the Bro As I was short of funds back then. I might get it now.
                      No problem man, it's a very cool pickup! Obviously I'm sweet on the '78, but I'm more of an A2 mag guy most of the time.
                      “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

The EC1000 has a body that's a got a little less meat than a LP right? I think it should be fine since you're running through an amp with a full EQ in case you need to cut some mids. I really considered it a JB Lite that worked in a LP. Some times though the mids just had to be pulled back a little.
                        Yeah, it's a little thinner and lighter than most LPs but it can still push the bottom end like one can. The EQ on my mp works pretty well so I can always dial it in there too.

Comment

Wow!! This sounds like quite a nice pickup. Hmm... I suppose to buy one.. we need to order it from the Custom Shop? Since it's an "existing" model thru the CS... is it still a 4-6 week wait to get it?

Originally posted by VHTJay View Post
                          Luke Duke and Darth: thanks for chiming in boys, great reviews!

I will do another today.

OG EL DIABLO: I have had this beast since December and didn't want to review it until I tried it in a few different guitars and the "honeymoon" period wore off. As shown in Masta C's thread, it looks EXACTLY like a Screamin 'Demon. Tonally , however.....well I will get to that! Came with an A5 magnet (I have also tried it with an A8) and is wound to 14.6k. TONE: The extra winds bring the resonant peak down and tame the high end while providing an eq shift towards the midrange. Those single coil like highs (that some love and some hate) are seemingly replaced by throaty and punchy upper mids. Retained are the 'demons tight and quick lows. Honestly...this pickup cops an old school GL tone better than a 'demon IMO. There is no pickup in the lineup quite like this guy....it sounds almost like crossing a 'demon with a JB....I really do hear both in there regardless of the guitar! EQ: the 'demon is a 5/4/9 and I would say this guy would be a 5/6/9.

Comment

Peter, it is a really cool pickup! Actually, the guitar it is in right now is number one in my rotation right now and I know the Diablo has alot to do with that.This is definitely a custom shop pickup and would be 4-6 weeks to get.

Comment

78 is as LD described, I'll just add that it's more aggressive than the specs would lead you to believe. Lots of pick attack for a PAF range pickup, def useable for metal. Some say it's too bright, I don't know what those people are used to hearing. It's def oriented toward the highs and upper midrange, but I didn't find it near overly bright.

The Brobucker, on the other hand, was less aggressive than I expected, not really my bag. I'll say this, I've seen it compared to a C5, and they're not that similar in my opinion. Just comparing the midrange, the C5 has none, while the stock Bro has quite a bit of mid push. It sounded really f-ing good with an A2 in my SG for a minute, I liked it a lot, but still really not my speed. I found the bully I was looking for by putting in a big ceramic magnet from a DD. That shiz is awesome, the bastard child of SuperD and Pearly. At some point I'll get a TB Bro and do the same thing again, or just do the order with the big mag already in it. I liked it that much.

El Diablo blade version/SHTI-1 Iommi: It doesn't sound at all like a traditional A2 pickup. It's hot & thick-ish with big mids, not bright, not dark, and not bassy. Kinda has a grit to it like a Gibson pickup, and it's tight enough for most metal this side of jiggity-jiggity-junn-wee. A smoother, less bright 500T is a decent comparison... has some similarities to the Super3, uh, the PATB-2, has just a tad of the high mid JB thing going on. It's kind of a jack of all trades pickup, heavy rhythms, leads, it even cleans up decent when rolling down the volume. DD and Invader are more aggressive, don't let the DCR fool you.

The descriptions of the OG Diablo make me really want one BTW.

Comment

Working...
                              X