banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using an SH-8 Invader. How far should I set it from the strings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using an SH-8 Invader. How far should I set it from the strings?

I usually have my pups set pretty close but I understand that the magnetic pull on this pup is far greater. Any help? What's also weird is it seems like their is slightly more tension on the strings. This might just all be in my mind. I ahd put one of these in a Gibson Custom back in 97 or so.. and it sounded like poo. I thought I would give it another go on a Lynch Kamakaze.
    Last edited by omni 1; 04-24-2013, 01:12 AM.

Re: Using an SH-8 Invader. How far should I set it from the strings?

Oh well, I just left it where I thought it sounded OK without any weird intonation issues. It is a bit lower then where I usually set my pups. Very different animal.

Comment

The ESP pickups I took out of these guitars sound absolutely fantastic. and are very well made. Hell, I might just put them back in. I have been playing for 32 years and have gone through many many pups.

Comment

The Invader is a bit of a different animal. Usually with the big pole pieces it does wind up a bit lower than other pickups.
        "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
        you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Any more advice. The lower I put it the better it sounds.. to me.. Am I crazy? Don't answer that... lol. I thought some kind od Duncan people helped out?

Comment

Youre right. Generally, pickups with stronger mags tend to sound more vibrant and alive the further they get from the strings because the lower they go, the less field affects string vibration, and being as the Invader has 3 ceramics and those massive polepieces, they can sit quite a bit lower than a lot of other pups.

Comment

I set my invader about 2mm lower than most other pups

Comment

Thanks guys.. Yeah, it sounds pretty decent low.

Comment

Working...
                X