Bridge humbucker for Strat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bridge humbucker for Strat

I've decided to add a humbucker (full) to the bridge of my Amer Series Strat. I have a Dimarzio cool rails in the neck and stock sc in the middle. My strat has a maple neck.

I already have a double fat strat with a Pearly Gates in the bridge, which I like.

I was wondering how the following would sound in comparison to the Pearly Gates. I plan on adding a push/pull pot to split. Versatility is key as my band covers everything from modern to classic to punk to dance.

JB
    Custom 5
    Screamin' Demon

Re: Bridge humbucker for Strat

I have a Custom 5 tremspaced and 2 Antiquity Surfers in my HSS strat right now.
    The JB sounds a little too midrangey and hot, especially next to singles, at least for my taste. The 59 is good, the CC is dense, but may sound really good in a maple necked strat. Pearly Gates is Fender and Evan Skopp's choice, so it's a good contender. I haven't owned a Screamin Demon. Personally, I think I'd prefer an Alnico 5 humbucker over an Alnico 2 in a strat, but that's just my preferece, since they sound more open and airy and less midrangey and dense.
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I think the Blues Trembucker would be a good choice, that's my favorite Duncan bridge pickup, and it is versatile enough to cover the styles you mentioned.

Ryan
      Originally posted by JOLLY
      I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

Originally posted by rspst14
        I think the Blues Trembucker would be a good choice, that's my favorite Duncan bridge pickup, and it is versatile enough to cover the styles you mentioned.

Ryan
        I`ve heard the Blues Trembucker might sound muddy in a non Floyd Rose guitar? How might it sound with a standard Strat trem?
        When asking for pickup suggestions please tell us what amp you`re using

Comment

I can't see it sounding muddy in any guitar, unless it were extremely dark sounding to begin with. It still has plenty of highs and upper mids, it's just wound a little warmer than the other alnico 5 pickups in the Duncan lineup, which all tend to be somewhat bright sounding.

Ryan
          Originally posted by JOLLY
          I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

I've had both the JB and Demon in my Strat. The Demon had good midrange, a good snarl to it. If I had to do it again, I would have put the JB back in. It even sounded like a Strat single when split. I like the JB with 300K pots.

Comment

the JB covers a lot of ground. it has too much midrange for some people, but i really like it. the midrange helps me cut throught the mix without being too loud or too distorted. it can clean up very nicely, but it can snarl, bark and squeel even better.
              my gear: '80s fender bullet (tele style)
              fender dg20ce acoustic
              peavey blazer 15 watt
              line 6 pod 2.3 and floorboard
              Atomic Reactor 112
              Warmoth double fat strat w/ SD Jb bridge and Dimarzio Humbucker from Hell

Comment

Thanks Guys! Any other thoughts?

Comment

Working...
                X