banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will the YJM Fury be compatible with the '78 hum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will the YJM Fury be compatible with the '78 hum?

I have an alder w/ rosewood Floyd Rose Fender strat in a HSS format. I have the '78 SD pup in the bridge, and am wondering if the YJM Fury would be compatible from a volume perspective.

I currently have the Dimarzio HS3's in the middle/neck position but the volume drops when I switch (they are both raised pretty high to the strings).

The goal is to get the EVH sound in the bridge and then flip to the singles for the liquid Yngwie tone (definition of a Super Strat), but have the volume be consistent. Could it be that the pots are the issue with the current HS3s?

Any help is appreciated!

Will the YJM Fury be compatible with the '78 hum?

Only if you have plenty of donuts for the Yngweigh pickups. lol!

I have a 78 in a guitar with Hot Rails in the neck and middle and while that looks weird on paper, it works out fine. The 78 'feels' louder and it's not at all overpowered by the Hot Rails, but rather pretty even sounding from one position to the other. If you can relate that to the tone and output of the Fury pickups, that might help give an idea.

Sent from my armored space station using Tapatalk on iPad

Comment

Re: Will the YJM Fury be compatible with the '78 hum?

Just based on what I've heard about both pups I think they'd be a great pair. Definitely a pair I'd rock.

Comment

JB + STK-S10 neck. It works for me.
        Who took my guitar?

Comment

I have floyded a swamp ash strat with Texas Specials and a 78. I put in a "Blower switch" (mini toggle that turns on the bridge pup) and you can have some of the fatness of the TS without the vol drop when in the neck position.
          https://www.rockstockpedals.com/

Comment

Originally posted by BFahz View Post
            I have an alder w/ rosewood Floyd Rose Fender strat in a HSS format. I have the '78 SD pup in the bridge, and am wondering if the YJM Fury would be compatible from a volume perspective.

I currently have the Dimarzio HS3's in the middle/neck position but the volume drops when I switch (they are both raised pretty high to the strings).

The goal is to get the EVH sound in the bridge and then flip to the singles for the liquid Yngwie tone (definition of a Super Strat), but have the volume be consistent. Could it be that the pots are the issue with the current HS3s?

Any help is appreciated!
            only bet if you coil split the bucker. Otherwise not gonna work. I had the super distortion bridge with HS-3 in the neck, and it was too unbalanced.

Comment

I'm not sure why the SD noiseless singles are so low in output... I have a '78 in the bridge with a DiMarzio Injector Neck in the middle and an Area '61 in the neck.

The Injector and Area '61 are both just a tick more present than the '78 Model. All of the DiMarzio virtual vintage stuff is really loud and can hang with any humbucker.

Not sure why people are experiencing volume mismatches with SD stackable singles... single coils should always sound more "present" in the midrange and that's what frequency band our ears are sensitive at.

Maybe people are having problems using 250K pots? I run 500K pots with any stackable single coil... most of them sound flat and lifeless at 250K and come to life with 500K pots.

It's not the amount of treble and upper midrange in the tone that matters, it's the quality of the treble and upper midrange. Most if not all of the classic rock sounds we have come to know to love are very raspy and harsh when solo'd at the mixing console. Listen to some of the isolated tracks on youtube... much brighter than you think they really are.
              Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

The YJM Furys have a decent amount of output, more than most singles. They should work just fine with the 78.
                http://www.lonephantom.com
                http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/author/stephen/

Comment

dont know about the Duncans, the HS-3 have been one of the weakest, anemic pups of the dimarzio range, in fact i doubt there a single dimarzio pup (SC, noisless SC or humbucker) weaker than them.

Comment

Working...
                  X