banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would a soundhole pickup work on an electric?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would a soundhole pickup work on an electric?

Hello there

As the title asks.... Would a magnetic soundhole pickup work if mounted on an electric guitar?
    I'm planning a hollowbody build and I'm thinking of mounting an acoustic soundhole pickup somewhere on the body... Maybe near the bridge or edge of the fingerboard and link it to a piezo with a blend pot while at the same time mounting a set of PAF's for the electric side.

But the question is, will a soundhole pickup like a lace bronze sensor or an SD woody work on electric guitar strings? Something like EB Slinkies or D'Addario chromes?

And another question linked to this is with acoustic pickups, how do they work? I read somewhere that phosphor bronze strings aren't that magnetic so how does a non microphone soundhole pickup work with them?
    There's nothing less metal than trying to act metal.

Re: Would a soundhole pickup work on an electric?

soundhole pickups will work very well with electric strings. i dont think overall the sound will be very acoustic-y but might be cool. id put it closer to the neck rather than the bridge to get a fuller sound.

phospher bronze strings and the like dont create as much signal as electric strings which is why companys make things like white bronze or zebra strings

Comment

Bronze itself isn't magnetic so if it did work, it would be picking up the vibrations of the core wire, which is probably steel. I wouldn't know what it would sound like...

Comment

it will work. soundhole pickups are no different to electric guitar pickups.
        "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Ah so basically it would just be functioning as an electric pickup? So it would kinda be redundant if I'm using that and a PAF....

I was just confused as to why they work on bronze strings even though they're not magnetic. I thought they used a different kind of sorcery to pick up signal....

Is there any difference in the way the acoustic pickup is wound/made from a normal style humbucker?
          I read that the some of them are acoustic soundhole humbuckers so are they also just wound coils around magnets but just in a different package?

Comment

Originally posted by Chocklit_Thunda View Post

Is there any difference in the way the acoustic pickup is wound/made from a normal style humbucker?
            I read that the some of them are acoustic soundhole humbuckers so are they also just wound coils around magnets but just in a different package?
            Sure the construction is different from a normal humbucker and they wouldnt sound exactly like one. If your after a acoustic sound from your electric its probably not such a hot idea but if you want something different than a normal humbucker or strat single coil then it might do the trick.
            "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
            you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

As a physicist I'll have to say all materials are magnetic. Just look for 'levatating frog' on youtube.

The thing is, all materials moving in a magnetic field influence that magnetic field, especially conducting materials. So it is the moving that causes the signal in the pickup, not so much the material that moves. Have you ever noticed increased signal from your pup by playing pure iron strings? I don't think so. What you do notice is the change in tonality due to the different vibrational properties.

That being said I say go for it. It will not sound like an acoustic (no electric will), but it should be a cool sound!
              Unbelief is safe, because it takes no risk and almost always gets what it expects.

When your passion begins to decline, you already start to die. You were born to burn.

Comment

Yeah I'm not aiming for a full acoustic sound, I rather want a cleaner, less coloured sound. Like the sound you get with te soundhole pickup that's quite similar to the actual sound of the acoustic instead of being altered by magnet choice and different winds etc.

Basically I want to pick up the raw "acoustic" tone of the hollowbody (I like the sound of old archtop acoustics but I want to amplify it and hav conventional PAF's in there as well) and from what you guys say a repurposed acoustic pup is the way to do it

Comment

Working...
                X