Custom Shop Pickups!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Shop Pickups!

Hi everyone, I'm new here. I'm trying to post again because I had troubles with my first post.

Anyway, I just got my guitar back after having some Custom Shop pickups installed and I'm super happy with how the whole deal worked out! I've played DiMarzio pickups and Seymour Duncan pickups over the years. I've had SD pickups (JB/Pearly Gates) for years in a partscaster but I was initially hesitant to take the leap to the SD Custom Shop, but now I'm glad I did! The specs were pretty basic: basic PAF style, alnico 3 magnets, 8k neck, 9k bridge, no wax potting, and shiny new covers. I also had it wired up with paper in oil capacitors (whether they affect the sound is debatable -- I just wanted them).

The guitar is now a monster! Super clarity, huge sound, super dynamic, and really opened up the sound of the guitar. I think part of it has to do with not being wax potted. There's a liveliness to it that makes playing it really fun! Dig in hard or play soft, and the pickups seem to react to every nuance. I'm super happy with how it turned out.

I'm sure I could have achieved similar results with similar unpotted pickups like the Seth Lovers or Antiquities, but there's also something awesome about having pickups made just for you -- and that's why I went with the SD Custom Shop. Seymour Duncan and DiMarzio are the big names for pickups but Seymour Duncan made a set just for me. So that's pretty awesome.

Here is a picture of my guitar with the new SD Custom Shop pickups in it --

And just for fun, here's my old partscaster with its JB in the bridge and Pearly Gates in the neck -- a great combo in an alder-bodied super strat type!

Re: Custom Shop Pickups!

Gorgeous looking LP. Glad you're lovin' it with those custom shop pups.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
    X