Brobucker or C/59 Hybrid in a Paul?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brobucker or C/59 Hybrid in a Paul?

Looking for a hot Paf on roids. Playing a Heritage H150 and have a 59 in the neck. Solid mahogany, no chambers, maple cap, 9lbs, long neck tenon. Great LP vibe. Ideally, something with a more compressed attack but still open enough to clean up and have lots of articulation. The attack on the 59 is perhaps just a bit too punchy for some palm muting type stuff. I've got it wired with PIO caps and 50's wiring FWIW

I'm attracted to the brobucker because its a PAF design

I like the idea of the C/59 because its supposed to be very versatile, is a bit
    Cheaper and can be had with nickel covers stock.

My general impression from research is that both will work well, that the bro is a bit darker and more vintage while the hybrid is just barely hotter and has a very unusual character but is very articulate and Probably feels punchier out of the gate because of the full strength mag.

Re: Brobucker or C/59 Hybrid in a Paul?

I don't have experience with a Brobucker but it's probably comparable in output to a 59/C, going by the specs. The 59/C works well in many kinds of guitars, as people here have found - from shredders to LPs. It also accepts different magnets well for different qualities. With the stock A5, it's quite balanced and crisp sounding, with lighter low end. The mismatched coils give it that 'prettier' kind of tone that has more overtones, and less compression as a result.
    Originally posted by dominus
    Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

I would say that the 59/Custom probably has a little bit more 'poke' than the Brobucker. the Bro will give you a classic 'PAF' sound, whereas the 59/Custom has a bit of modern edge to it's 'PAF-ness'.

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

In my recent, limited experience, you simply cannot in any way go wrong with a Custom Shop pickup. My vote goes to the Brobucker. Plus an LP-type guitar just begs for the classic PAF sound, in my opinion.

Comment

I doubt you'd go wrong with either. The Brobucker is without a doubt my favourite humbucker and I have it in 3 guitars. In every case it retains it's own characteristics and voice but seems to bring out the best in the guitar. Also very recently I have fitted an A8 mag into an Ant hunbucker and it is on a par with the Bro, in fact I gigged it for the first time tonight and even though I recently got yet another Brobucker for that LP I'm not swapping that pick up out as it's that good. At some point I'd like to try hybrid in one of my guitars but the few guitars that I have left are sorted now and the Bro is simply awesome and I certainly don't find it too dark even with a full strength UOA5.

Comment

Both are among my top 5 favorite Duncan humbuckers.

I think the C/59 will be voiced closer to your 59 neck, which is usually a good thing.

I pair Brobuckers up with the PGn.

Either of those sets sounds great.
            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

According to B2R if I remember right, the 59/c is pretty much the brobucker only a bit louder, clearer, and less compressed.

BUT I believe he uses an alnico II in his 59/custom. But the Brobucker is wound to about 10k using 42 wire and an aged a5 mag. all of that leads to a softer high end and a fuller midrange. It should also be a cleaner humbucker.

Consider the new whole lotta humbucker that used to be UK exclusive, which is LIKE a brobucker, but with about 1.2k less turns of wire. That should open the tone up a bit for you giving you the better cleans you're asking for, and dynamics. But still compress nicely when you need it too. Plus I believe you can get them covered if you want.

Comment

I think these are all very good choices and you probably can't go wrong with any of them. But if you've already got a 59 in the neck, then I would say that the C/59 will probably be a better match and give you what you want. You may want to experiment with different magnets in the C/59 to fine tune it to exactly fit your needs. For me, the stock A5 made it sound too bright and scooped (not a sound that I particularly like, but will go well with your 59n). I like the smoothness of an A2 in it, or if I want a bit more punch, an A8. Just my personal preferences.
                Originally Posted by IanBallard
                Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Falloffthebonetone View Post
                  According to B2R if I remember right, the 59/c is pretty much the brobucker only a bit louder, clearer, and less compressed.
                  I seem to remember B2R addressed the issue by saying something like "the Brobucker and C/59 are similar but the mids of the Brobucker are more congested than the C/59". That's not a direct quote, but how i remember it.
                  Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

And there is always the option of getting both and seeing which one you like best and using the other one on another guitar.
                    Unbelief is safe, because it takes no risk and almost always gets what it expects.

When your passion begins to decline, you already start to die. You were born to burn.

Comment

Originally posted by MrTondo View Post
                      And there is always the option of getting both and seeing which one you like best and using the other one on another guitar.
                      Now there's a man after my own heart.

You can never have too many guitars or too many pups.
                      Originally Posted by IanBallard
                      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by crusty philtrum View Post
                        I seem to remember B2R addressed the issue by saying something like "the Brobucker and C/59 are similar but the mids of the Brobucker are more congested than the C/59". That's not a direct quote, but how i remember it.
                        Yeah that sounds right. thanks!

Comment

Working...
                        X