Liberator help needed for BRAIDED ground

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liberator help needed for BRAIDED ground

Situation: I hadn't done much pick up switching and since my guitars are all over $1000, I wanted to go with the Duncan Liberator to save money on being able to swap pickups like I switch strings. Sounds awesome, right?

Set up: I bring my brand new Heritage LP style H150 down to my tech and have him do 50's wiring and the Liberator in one fell swoop. Problem solved, right? Now I can just swap pickups to my hearts content while never having to solder and risk burning my instrument or destroying something.

Problem: I get my new Joe Bonamassa set in the mail today and open up my guitar to figure this thing out: Turns out the 59's that are in there and the Bonamassa are wired with an "old school" braid around the conductor as the ground instead of 2 conductor or 4 conductor methods that are designed to work with the Liberator

Incomplete Solution: So, my tech attached a wire to the ground on the Liberator and then soldered the other end to the braid on the conductor cable from the pickup (effectively grounding it). After doing my online searches, it seems that the conductor braid is usually just soldered to a volume pot for the ground? Either way, it's not a perfect solder free solution for pickup swaps on the Liberator.

Call for help: Is there another way to ground the braid to the liberator without soldering it? Since it's a ground and not carrying signal, you would think there could be something that connects to the ground on the liberator and then ties around the braid that could be safe and effective without using an iron?

Please help! On top of badly wanting to play the new PUPs, I desperately want the Liberator to work for PAF style pickups without having to solder.

Re: Liberator help needed for BRAIDED ground

There are some solderless lugs for ground on the Liberator. If they are free you can probably connect a wire to the braided ground and then screw the new wire into the solderless lug. Not a complete solderless solution, but at least you can solder the braid to a wire outside of the guitar.
    http://www.lonephantom.com
    http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/author/stephen/

Comment

Thanks for the fast reply! I think the solution you're talking about is similar to what my tech did. So, can I solder the wire on on a table and it could fit through the wire cavity? Then I could leave the current pickups as seen in this picture?

Comment

Yeah I think that's it.
        http://www.lonephantom.com
        http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/author/stephen/

Comment

Cool, thanks LonePhantom!

Comment

You could just unbraid a portion of it and twist it into a wire. This will also leave the other wire inside with more room to use.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	5768239
            Last edited by jake_xms3_punk; 05-07-2013, 01:34 AM.
            our first drummer died in a bizzare gardening accident!

I won't dance in a club like this,
            'Cause all the girls are sluts,
            And the beer tastes just like piss.

Comment

Originally posted by jake_xms3_punk View Post
              You could just unbraid a portion of it and twist it into a wire. This will also leave the other wire inside with more room to use.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41842[/ATTACH]
              That looks like a very elegant solution, thank you very much for the suggestion.

I think I would need at least 3 inches or so.

I'm kind of leaning toward having my tech solder on the extra ground connectors since they can also be removed if I decide to resell the pickups?

Comment

You don't need 3". You barely need 1/2" to be able to put the hot into the black terminal and the twisted braid fits just fine in the grey terminal. I just take a tiny jewelers screwdriver and flick it through one braid layer at a time until I've un-braided 1/2" and then twist it together. If you need more length, you can just push back the braid and have more hot exposed.

Comment

Originally posted by frankfalbo View Post
                  You don't need 3". You barely need 1/2" to be able to put the hot into the black terminal and the twisted braid fits just fine in the grey terminal. I just take a tiny jewelers screwdriver and flick it through one braid layer at a time until I've un-braided 1/2" and then twist it together. If you need more length, you can just push back the braid and have more hot exposed.
                  Awesome, thanks man I'll try that when I get home!!!

Comment

Worked like a charm!!! Problem solved!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X