banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

335 and the Whole Lotta Humbucker set???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 335 and the Whole Lotta Humbucker set???

I'm on the look out to buy a 335 semi hollow type guitar and I was thinking about putting the whole lotta humbucker pickup set in it. Anyone tried this or have any thoughts or input about it. Or do you guys think a jazz/59 and 59/custom hybrid set would be better? What do you guys think? Thanks
    There's no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid mistakes!

Schecter Hellraiser solo-6 and solo-6FR, Schecter C-1EX,
    Edwards LP Lemon drop, ES-335 copy, Fender Telecaster
    Boss GT-10
    Rocktron Velocity 300
    Two custom built 2x12 cabs with V-30 & G12T-75's in each cab
    Marshall Mode Four/MF 400 cab
    AMT Legend series pedals V1, F1, R1, E1, M1, P1, D2 and growing

Re: 335 and the Whole Lotta Humbucker set???

I if its any help, i've installed a 59 set and a jazz/59 set into two semis (as well as some other pups). It seems to my ears that Alnico 2 pickups work better to smooth off the natural brightness of the maple in a 335. I guess tho this doesn't answer your question, but rather adds more pickups to your list of "what might sound good".
    I'd steer clear of the custom hybrid tho, mainly cos the last thing you need in a semi is more output, cos more output = more feedback.
    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
    Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Thanks for the reply gibson175.

I should have added that I mainly play rythym and I like a good amount of overdrive going on, thats why I'm considering the WLH set

Boss GT-10
      Rocktron Velocity 300

Comment

I recently put a WLH set into my Les Paul Classic and I like them a lot. I have no experience with a 335.

The WLHs are, as you might expect, like a fatter sounding '59 set. The great part is that there's no loss of treble. Still plenty of top end but the mids are fuller. Somebody commented that they thought the 8.2K neck pickup would be mud city. Far from it! In my LP it balances perfectly, clear top end, smooth mids and no boom in the bass. Roll back the volume and it has a smooth but clear jazz/blues tone.

In a Les Paul they are a very nicely balanced slightly-hotter-than-vintage pickup set. I don't think you would have a problem output-wise putting them in a 335, but having no experience of 335s I can't comment on their tonal suitability.

Comment

I want you to try the Whole Lotta Humbucker set because I want to try the Whole Lotta Humbucker set, and I want you to tell me more about it.

Comment

The WLH set will sound great in a 335 – better than any set involving '59's or Customs IMO. I'd still be tempted to opt for Pearlies or AIIPs, though.
            Originally posted by LesStrat
            Yogi Berra was correct.
            Originally posted by JOLLY
            I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies everyone. It looks like I'm going to go with the WLH set. Now all I got to do is save more money. Thanks again Big Kurka

Boss GT-10
              Rocktron Velocity 300

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
                I if its any help, i've installed a 59 set and a jazz/59 set into two semis (as well as some other pups). It seems to my ears that Alnico 2 pickups work better to smooth off the natural brightness of the maple in a 335.
                OT: That many 335 copies are all Maple is an issue...IMHO.
                Last edited by Laughing Kookaburra; 05-08-2013, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Laughing Kookaburra View Post
                  That many 335 copies are all Maple is an issue...IMHO.
                  Just an idea, if you want so e clean Tones as well as some great overdriven rhythm tones the SD Phat Cat hsp90 pickups I have in my Semi Hollowbody PRS will give your guitar some very original tonal sets.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon_F View Post
                    I recently put a WLH set into my Les Paul Classic and I like them a lot. I have no experience with a 335.

The WLHs are, as you might expect, like a fatter sounding '59 set. The great part is that there's no loss of treble. Still plenty of top end but the mids are fuller. Somebody commented that they thought the 8.2K neck pickup would be mud city. Far from it! In my LP it balances perfectly, clear top end, smooth mids and no boom in the bass. Roll back the volume and it has a smooth but clear jazz/blues tone.

In a Les Paul they are a very nicely balanced slightly-hotter-than-vintage pickup set. I don't think you would have a problem output-wise putting them in a 335, but having no experience of 335s I can't comment on their tonal suitability.

Good review Simon! Ive been wondering about these. Ive heard some clips online that sounded great, but the thing with most online demos, they use effects and stuff. sound perfect. I run several axes with 59b models in the neck so they arent so boomy, but your description sounds like what Im looking for in one of my axes.
                    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Working...
                    X