banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your opinion on my mini switch placement? Pics Included!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your opinion on my mini switch placement? Pics Included!

So I need to decide where to place 4 mini toggles. I have included some options that would require plugging existing holes, but the least work the better. Currently there is a 3 way toggle so im leaning towards putting 4 switches in a row to use that hole and also I think that i could easily access those switches on the fly by just picking closer to the neck.

Things to consider:

Easy access
    Not in the way
    Least amount of work

Also I have to replace the tune o matic with this hardtail bridge and there will be 2 holes. I built the guitar without knowing that tune o matics are for angled necks derp... I have the bridge on the deck and its ok but Id like to be able to go a tad lower with the action Click image for larger version

Name:	joe guitar mod switches.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	5828464Click image for larger version

Name:	joe guitar button moved.JPG
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	5828465Click image for larger version

Name:	joe guitar modded button move 2.JPG
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	5828466

Re: Your opinion on my mini switch placement? Pics Included!

Click image for larger version

Name:	guitar.jpg
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	5768280This is how the guitar looks at the moment.

Comment

Man! It would be an outstanding work!
      Please write something more what you will do with this 4 switches

My opinion. - Three at the botom of body (under the strings) But not like in a 3rd picture (will be hard to reach).
      One near the neck over the strings (that would be some really main switch for something outstanding).
      I will also really suggest you to make some push pulls - and to save the wood from drilling.

If you cant do something with you pickups on the 5-Way switch (5-Way superswitch) just write me a message.
      Maybe you dont need so many selectors, and so many drilling that ruins the wood.
      In some places you will need also to make an electronic box at the back of your guitar - this will totaly damage your guitar.
      But the Idea is just Crazy and Out of mainstream!!!!! LOVE IT

Best regards,
      Peter
      (sorry for my ENG - it is not my native L)
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Best Regards:
      Peter (KnifeR)

RazemRock - let's create the community for Guitar Geeks

Facebook Funpage
      YouTube
      Blog

Comment

The whole back piece of the guitar is removable. Like an old gretch. Its semi hollow so I have room to work.

The switches are
        on/off for every pickup
        coil split that also re routes the circuit to 250k pots

so when its a humbucker I have 500 k master volume and tone
        when its single coil I have separate 250k master volume and tone

I did this to get the ideal tone from SC and Humbuckers and also to be able to really balance the volume drop between modes or to even have the option of having louder SC than humbuckers.

The pickups are Pete Biltoft (vintage vibe) CC Riders. The old charlie christian jazz pickups. He made them humbuckers to reduce noise. The middle pickup is a vintage strat SC in a humbucker case. When I split the CC and add the middle pickup I hope to get some strat like positon 2 and 4 tones.

Any feedback is appreciated and your English is probably better than mine! So no reason to feel self conscious

Comment

I'd put the coil split where the pickup selector is currently located. I'd put the on/off switches on the bottom horn or near the neck pickup, in a line parallel to the neck, spaced farther apart than you show them in your pix. I'd leave the pots where they are, and wire it for V/T/T/T.
          Last edited by ItsaBass; 05-10-2013, 03:42 AM.
          Originally posted by LesStrat
          Yogi Berra was correct.
          Originally posted by JOLLY
          I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Yea pots where they are, split selector where is the three way switch
            selectors near the neck :/ - put a picture where - the comfortable picking is really important.
            I have some doubts if the near-neck selectors will assure comfortable picking.

the renard:
            when i will be back from work..
            I will do for you wiring on the Seymore Duncan pickups (color codes), after that you need only to change the colors of your wires to proper for you.
            One more question:
            In the middle you whant to put some sinlge or humbucker???? - it is really important for me
            -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Best Regards:
            Peter (KnifeR)

Facebook Funpage
            YouTube
            Blog

Comment

Originally posted by KnifeR View Post
              Yea pots where they are, split selector where is the three way switch
              selectors near the neck :/ - put a picture where - the comfortable picking is really important.
              I have some doubts if the near-neck selectors will assure comfortable picking.

the renard:
              when i will be back from work..
              I will do for you wiring on the Seymore Duncan pickups (color codes), after that you need only to change the colors of your wires to proper for you.
              One more question:
              In the middle you whant to put some sinlge or humbucker???? - it is really important for me
              middle is a single but it was made in a humbucking case to look the same as neck and bridge. Thanks for your efforts! This is hermeticos schematic that does what im trying to do.

Originally i wanted to do this;
              keep the 3 way. Add a mini toggle to coil split and reroute to 250k pots and another mini toggle to add middle the pickup anytime. After thinking about it I realized I would not be able to have middle pick up alone so i thought ok lets just go with 4 switches and have every possible combo.

Im totaly open to more ideas. I honestly dont want to butcher up my guitar but I want to get the most out of my custom made axe. If I had to go bare essentials id say i need les paul HH tones and strat position 2 and 4. I originaly considered 3 way toggle for HH and 5 way switch for all the strat tones. one mini switch to go from one mode to the other and route between 500k and 250k tone pots. I though it would be very familar and intuative to have a 3 way and a 5 way (essentialy a les paul strat hybrid). But then I thought hey i wont be able to do the tele neck bridge SC sound. So then I thought ok add the old add neck toggle (like 7 way strat switching) and of course it snow balls and here I am with now with 4 switches lol.

If I had to take it down a notch it would be a 5 way switch

H neck 500k pots/neck middle SC(routed to 250k pots)/Neck Bridge SC 25ok /bridge middle SC 250k/brindge H 500k pots

that way i get the essential les paul tele and strat tones. All feed back is appreciated. The ironic thing is since Im using CC Riders the guitar isn't gonna really sound like any of those guitars mentioned. Its going to be its own unique beast. Especially considering I used padauk and cherry to build the body.

I have even considered a rotary switch and the stew mac 6 way switch but I am a total newb at wiring and dont even know what is possible with those products.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hermetico's_HSH_Mod__X14.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	5768283
              Last edited by the renard; 05-10-2013, 05:12 AM.

Comment

Outstanding Idea!
                I recognize this, i have subscribed your thread .

Question:
                Do you have these 3 mini drilled or not yet??
                what you have drilled or mounted till now? and what is to do
                Maybe you dont need to do something and i will give you some sounds, no hum, nice strat - lespaul - tele configuration.

And if you will have a time, look at my custom made guitar. I put diagram on forum (veryfied by lead engineer of Seymore Duncan, and hermetico also):

I like such extraordinary stuf.
                Regards,
                Peter
                Last edited by KnifeR; 05-10-2013, 06:11 AM.
                Best Regards:
                Peter (KnifeR)

Facebook Funpage
                YouTube
                Blog

Comment

Outstanding Idea!
                  I recognize this, i have subscribed your thread .

Question:
                  Do you have these 3 mini drilled or not yet??
                  what you have drilled or mounted till now? and what is to do
                  Maybe you dont need to do something and i will give you some sounds, no hum, nice strat - lespaul - tele configuration.

And if you will have a time, look at my custom made guitar. I put diagram on forum (veryfied by lead engineer of Seymore Duncan, and hermetico also):

I like such extraordinary stuf.
                  Regards,
                  Peter
                  The guitar hasn't been touched yet. I like your thread. You should post a picture of your guitar. It it your own shape or a strat or something? Looks like we are both tone chasers.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                    I'd put the coil split where the pickup selector is currently located. I'd put the on/off switches on the bottom horn or near the neck pickup, in a line parallel to the neck, spaced farther apart than you show them in your pix. I'd leave the pots where they are, and wire it for V/T/T/T.

This idea might just be it. I love the idea of using my middle ring and pinky finger to control the pick ups and wacking the coil split with my thumb and pointer while holding the pick. I could get used to that and develop some muscle memory.

Comment

Renard
                      This is my guitar,
                      It is now in Mayones Company to change the SSL-4 QP to SHR mini humbucker,
                      will recieved it later (in one week i supose). After that i will change my profile picture
                      If you will like any of my Threads or Replies (the forum Likes are always welcome )
                      I hope you have an facebook:
                      Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Regards:
                      peter
                      Best Regards:
                      Peter (KnifeR)

Facebook Funpage
                      YouTube
                      Blog

Comment

Renard
                        This is my guitar,
                        It is now in Mayones Company to change the SSL-4 QP to SHR mini humbucker,
                        will recieved it later (in one week i supose). After that i will change my profile picture
                        If you will like any of my Threads or Replies (the forum Likes are always welcome )
                        I hope you have an facebook:
                        Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Regards:
                        peter
                        that guitar is a beast. how much did that cost???

Comment

it is total custom made from Polish company (Mayones).
                          Has a lot of my ideas. (pickup with angle to others, inlays, many things, color and also this KNF on the fretboard).
                          whole guitar is Neck through body,
                          but about the price i dont want to talk.
                          expensive but price to quality its good
                          Best Regards:
                          Peter (KnifeR)

Facebook Funpage
                          YouTube
                          Blog

Comment

So I think Im gonna go with this set up. Now I wonder if I should keep the tune o matic and should shim the neck or route a groove to lower the tune o matic. Should I install the hardtail? I know its gonna be a lot better perfromance wise and all I need to do is plug some holes. Is there a creative way to plug the holes? I guess since its not too grainy a wood a plug of the same species (padauk) wont stick out too much Click image for larger version

Name:	final mock up.jpg
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	5768294
                            Last edited by the renard; 05-10-2013, 07:44 PM.

Comment

3 mini switches.. hmm
                              I am not going with this idea....
                              beter to put some push-pulls without drilling it., or maybe to put some 5 way superswitch (it will be more handy than these 3 switches next to other.

5 way swich:

1-Bridge series,
                              2-Brigde series - middle (it is a single i suppouse)
                              3-Brigde series - Neck series
                              4-middle - Neck series
                              5-Neck series

toggle to split the Humbucks, and push-pull to make neck parallel. 13- different ways of switching.
                              Best Regards:
                              Peter (KnifeR)

Facebook Funpage
                              YouTube
                              Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X