Retrofit HSS to SSS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retrofit HSS to SSS?

Is it possible to get a proper SSS pickguard mounted on a guitar with an HSS route?

For example: Lets say I had a modern HSS rig with a JB, vintage single coil, little 59 config but wanted to drop another pickguard loaded with antiquities or another SSS config in the same guitar. Is this possible? Would the be tone/performance loss because of the wider bridge pickup cavity?

Re: Retrofit HSS to SSS?

no problems at all, most fender strats are now routed for HSH but for a long period they had a full bathtub. you can install what you want
    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
    Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

^^^ Yep... not an issue. It'll drop right in. HSH route versus SSS routing on a guitar with a pickguard, as far as I'm concerned, is a negligible tonal difference, and I'm picky enough to care. Go for it.

Comment

Awesome, thanks guys!

Comment

No issue at all.

You could also get one of these adapters if you only wanted to replace the bridge humbucker:

Click image for larger version

Name:	PC-6643-023.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	8.8 KB
ID:	5768307
          Originally posted by LesStrat
          Yogi Berra was correct.
          Originally posted by JOLLY
          I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

The only way you will run into trouble is when you are trying to do it the other way around. You might want to check that all the pots are 250k while you are in there, if you are going with classic single coils.

Comment

One cautionary note -

I've had a HSS from a certain maker that I converted to SSS. It required a small adjustment to the route and it was visible when I had the pick guard off after having it done.

With most makers, usually no issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. B View Post
                The only way you will run into trouble is when you are trying to do it the other way around. You might want to check that all the pots are 250k while you are in there, if you are going with classic single coils.
                Good call on checking the pots!

Comment

It depends, sometimes it may not be possible. If you have a vintage strat bridge I think you will be just fine. However you really want to double check on the actual guitar.

In my case I have a Ritchie Sambora Standard Strart with swiming pool routing and a floydrose ridge, I tried once a vintage pickguard (8 holes) but the freaking slanted bridge just did not fit withing the swiiming pool (about 1 milimiter from the bridge pickup), that was unexpected, maybe a modern 11 holes could fit but I doubt it. Also, Since the FloydRose is bigger than the vintage bridge the mounting pivots need more wood, that caused the swiming pool not to allow a slanted single coil bridge pickup. So long story short, get an SSS pickguard (maybe you can borrow it) and put it ontop of your guitar to confirm it will match the routing for the bridge pickup and the brdige mounting.

Also, you can always put StagMag SH-3 in your existing HB bridge position and split as necessary to get a true single coil sound out of and then switch to HB mode in the bridge.
                  Last edited by IMENATOR; 05-13-2013, 04:36 PM.
                  Who took my guitar?

Comment

Originally posted by IMENATOR View Post

Also, you can always put StagMag SH-3 in your existing HB bridge position and split as necessary to get a true single coil sound out of and then switch to HB mode in the bridge.
                    I second the above, with an addition, that the Stag Mag just in parellel with itself vs. in series, is adequately beefy in tone for overdrive/distortion sounds.

Utilize the SD Triple Shot as well and you've got a very versatile Strat.

I modded an Ibanez RGR320DX in this fashion and it sounds great and has a ton of options in 2nd and 1st positions of the pickup selector switch.
                    Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Comment

Working...
                      X