What pickups should I get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What pickups should I get?

I have to agree with the majority, go for something with A2 in it.
    Unbelief is safe, because it takes no risk and almost always gets what it expects.

When your passion begins to decline, you already start to die. You were born to burn.

Comment

Never played Seth's - but from what I understand they are a likely safe bet all around. And if the guitar is super toneful acoustically, I'm gonna say pay attention to the guys that recommend that.

Otherwise, I might suggest a PG neck and 59 bridge. The PG neck just really balances the eq of a 59 in the right way in the neck position IMO.

But again - is this guitar dark and boomy in the neck currently, acoustically speaking? If not, a pair of 59's may be just great too.

59/59 is the "stock" answer for great semi-hollow tone.
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
        Never played Seth's - but from what I understand they are a likely safe bet all around. And if the guitar is super toneful acoustically, I'm gonna say pay attention to the guys that recommend that.

Otherwise, I might suggest a PG neck and 59 bridge. The PG neck just really balances the eq of a 59 in the right way in the neck position IMO.

But again - is this guitar dark and boomy in the neck currently, acoustically speaking? If not, a pair of 59's may be just great too.

59/59 is the "stock" answer for great semi-hollow tone.
        I'd actually say the seths are the stock semihollow tone, that's exactly what they went into after seth made them. Even to this day most gibson ES guitars feature unpotted pickups, similar in design to the seths. The brightness and airy articulation was matched by the warmer sound of the hollow body and the thicker strings usually associated. I've actually noticed many semihollow guitars have pickups that are microphonic right off the back, new at guitar center, so they pickup the acoustics of the body more, and not just the strings.

Comment

Kinda funny how he posts that hes already bought pups and and thinks he hates them and people ignore his post and even gets a suggestion for the pickup he just said he hates.
          "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
          you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by Falloffthebonetone View Post
            I'd actually say the seths are the stock semihollow tone, that's exactly what they went into after seth made them. Even to this day most gibson ES guitars feature unpotted pickups, similar in design to the seths. The brightness and airy articulation was matched by the warmer sound of the hollow body and the thicker strings usually associated. I've actually noticed many semihollow guitars have pickups that are microphonic right off the back, new at guitar center, so they pickup the acoustics of the body more, and not just the strings.
            Interesting observation.

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
              Kinda funny how he posts that hes already bought pups and and thinks he hates them and people ignore his post and even gets a suggestion for the pickup he just said he hates.
              No he didn't

[edit] Yes he did! Sorry, I missed that last post! Got distracted by the proximity of Evan's awesomeness...

Maybe this guy needs a set of A2P's.

Might be time to exercise the Duncan Exchange policy, which is just part of the awesomeness that is Duncan.
              Last edited by Aceman; 05-30-2013, 10:23 AM.

Comment

the 59's are alnico 5 paf type pups. paf's are usually pretty bright compared to hotter humbuckers. seths are a good option and have more mids but are still on the brighter side of things.

trey has been rumored to use a pair of 59's in his languedoc and 59's are what paul puts in the guitars he makes. i find that the 59b sounds best pretty close to the strings. you may find that you prefer a hotter set of pups over the vintage paf type.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                  Interesting observation.
                  I looked SO damn weird talking into the guitars there and having it come out of the amp...

Comment

I am glad to find out about the 21 day trial. At this point I'm leaning toward the Seths. I played around some more - to get the tone to a point where I feel OK with it, I've got the bass all the way up, the mids all the way up, and the treble down below half. Also have the tone knob on the guitar turned down close to half.

After the guitar setup, there is definitely more sustain. It doesn't ring out like my Epi Alleykat; the chambers are probably a little small and the guitar body is reinforced fairly thick. There is a bunch of sustain, way more than a solid body, but it's not an ES or something.

The guitar seems pretty bright. I put DR nickel strings on it.

Comment

Can you guys elaborate on a 'hot' pickup? I'm not into much distortion unless I ask for it with a pedal, but maybe they are more than that. Also I use my volume pot a lot; usually keep it about 50% for cleans and will boost it for more drive.

@Jeremy, that's most of the reason I went with the '59s. I'm wondering though - read he used Schaller Golden 50's before the breakup, and I preferred the older tone to the new tone, up until maybe 2012.

I guess I'm looking at SL and A2P. The SD verbal description of the A2P is awesome: "warm, round, singing tone." I think a bright pickup is the wrong direction.
                      Last edited by Joe Garfield; 06-05-2013, 07:32 AM.

Comment

I have a set of Alnico 2 Pro Slash pickups.. JeffB and ErikH persuaded me to try them. I was a longtime user of the JB and Gibsons Dirty Fingers.. I like a fat tone, and these have it. They are PAFs, but with a bit extra. Like this P90ish fatness, and humbucker growl. And they have a very singing lead tone

Other than that, Pearly Gates for the bridge and a Alnico II Pro for the neck will cover what you are looking for. Perhaps try a PG set for more rudeness Both will be awesome, but dont miss out on the slashers, they are very good The 59s can be hit-miss IMO. I like them in some guitars, but others its kinda meh. Alnico 2 is what you are looking for, I think

Comment

Gonna disagree about the PG bridge if he wants to stay away from bright but the a2p slashs are a nice suggestion
                          "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Thanks, I was on the SD site today comparing and have been thinking about the A2P Slash all day! It is going to be the Seths, A2P's, or A2P Slash I think,

The one thing I love about the 59's I have is that they get such sweet feedback - sounds beautiful and is super easy to get and control. I assume it's because there is no cover? My axe has chrome hardware and I like the look of a cover, so I wonder how that will come into play.

I'm also wondering about potted vs non-potted pups. I do like to play with feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Garfield View Post

The one thing I love about the 59's I have is that they get such sweet feedback - sounds beautiful and is super easy to get and control. I assume it's because there is no cover? My axe has chrome hardware and I like the look of a cover, so I wonder how that will come into play.
                              Covers never reduce feed back. Sometimes they induce it but the feed back you get from the 59's is not due to them being uncovered.

Comment

A2P was an even swap. Didn't get Slash because of single conductor (really dig the series parallel I just put in) and the Seth, well, talking to two techs that is where the conversation led. I can swap the A2P for Seth if I'm still not happy. We all seem to think the A2P will work for me. I feel a little stupid not getting the Seth after all this, but well see how it plays out.

Comment

Working...
                                X