Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gibson SGJ purchased, recommend a versatile hard rocking bridge pickup

Wow this thread has certainly ignited some fervor

I like the JB in some mahogany SG like guitars I have. If you are a lead player I would definitely give it a try.
    If you demand chuga chuga and are mostly a metal rhythm guy try the SH-5 Custom (the regular Custom not the Custom5 or Custom Custom.)
    The JB is maybe more temperamental about what guitar it’s in, but when it works it’s worth it. The Custom is tighter (especially on the lows) maybe less picky about what guitar it’s in, leads are good, cleans meh… passable unless you love bridge pup alnico clean.

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
      Nope I get it many people dont like the JB but even in this very thread you have a person who is giving negative reviews about the JB even though they themselves like it and they admit they are doing it cause it is the forum consensus.
      Who?
      Regarding any post I've made before 2018, assume I've changed my mind by now.

Comment

In all fairness my point earlier was that any pickup can bomb out none of you have any stats that the JB is more likely than any other.
        Going back to when I joined there were already a number of posts by guys who said they love a JB in their Strat, and it was 'atrocious' in their mahogany guitar. The descriptions are often hilarious: besides the 'ice pick spike' and 'farty low end', there been comparisons to 'dentist drills' and 'cheap old trumpets blaring.' This is from actual users, and most were thrilled how they sounded in Strats. I don't think these guys were making it up. This is hands-on from players who know about tone.

There has a been vaild point made about some JB fans not having much, if any, experience with other aftermarket PU's. Duncan has probably promoted JB's more than all their other PU's combined. If you buy the heavily-advertised 'Hot Rodded Set' as your only replacement PU's, you're going into it thinking it has to be great. After all, it's 'Seymour's favorite.' If you're not playing '80's metal and hard rock, and not playing it on a Strat, there may be other PU's in the Duncan line you might like better. That's one reason I have a problem with the JB worship; there are a lot of very good Duncan's that get pushed into the background. JB's aren't versatile enough to be promoted like they are as the solution to most guitar tone issues.
        "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
        "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
        "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

I have 0 high end problems with my JB/SG combo. If I did, I would not have advocated it at all. No amp has made me jolt to cover my ears because of top end trouble. If my combo has too much of anything, its low end and mid range, which is totally fine.

I think OP should try using P90s. That's the proper rock n roll route

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
            Going back to when I joined there were already a number of posts by guys who said they love a JB
            You say that like your the only one who was around at that time. What I want to know is why do the negative opinions outweigh the positive ones? Ive been saying this over and over why do you run and grab onto any negative mention of the JB and automatically discard any positive?

There has a been vaild point made about some JB fans not having much, if any, experience with other aftermarket PU's.
            The point actually isnt valid its weak supposition at best. Just because they haven't tried every pickup under the sun doesn't mean that they dont like their JB. Do you get that? If a guy likes he he likes it. What a wonderful position to be in too. To buy 1 pickup set and like it and be happy. The rest of us should be so lucky. Its also completely disingenuous to suggest that these players know less about tone. Sure there might be other pickups they like BUT if they found one they like and works for them whats wrong with that? I will guarantee you that we hear more from the players that complain about their sound than the ones who are happy and spend their days rockin out with the JB's than worrying what mag might make that difference thats missing in their playing.
            "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
            you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

In january 1980 I bought a custom parts strat, which parts (Swamp Ash body, and Birds-eye maple neck, Ebony fingerboard)were chosen and assembled for me by John Suhr, the in-house luthier at the time at Rudy's Music Stop in NYC.

His choice of p'ups was the Hot-Rodded set, wired with 250K pots. No ice-pick. I've used this guitar as a backup for over 20 years. No complaints whatsoever.

Two weeks ago, a customer of mine brought me a Epi LP to upgrade with a Hot Rodded set for his son, and after I've redid the guts, put good 500K pots and caps and wired it '50s style, it was ice-pick galore on the JB. He was very happy with an A4/A8 '59 set, and so was his son. The same week I put the same HR set in a lowly nato-bodied Squier HH with asian 250K pots and it sounded ok, the customer was happy.

I'm telling this because my memory is fresh and my findings are consistent with what some members have experienced and warn people about. No hate, no agenda, just stating what actually happened.

HTH,

Comment

Just because they haven't tried every pickup under the sun doesn't mean that they dont like their JB.
                As an Epi fan, I'm familiar with upgrading PU's. I've run across many Epi players that have said the stock PU's 'are fine.' They learn to live with them. But if, and when, they try a Duncan, DiMarzio, or Gibson PU in their guitar, it's a whole new revelation. They didn't realize what they weren't getting from the original PU's: clarity, definition, depth. I think this happens some of the time when guys with little PU expereince buy an aftermarket PU that's been heavily promoted. Whether it is or not in their guitar and thru their rig is another matter. They make do with it, good or bad. A great thing about this forum, which you seem to have a problem with, is that many players try a number of PU models and brands and have a much bigger field of reference to draw from. Some PU's that they thought were 'great', turned out to be 'just okay' when they tried something else. Players that have little, if any experience with aftermarket PU's may assume 'that's what they're supposed to sound like' and if the PU's endorsed by a big company or famous player, they may learn to live with any shortcomings of that PU in their guitar. It's like marrying the first and only girl you ever dated: if you don't have any other experience or field of reference, you don't really know if your wife is that good of a fit for you. Fortunately, it's much easier to change a PU or a guitar, than a spouse. But the point is in either situation you need to look around and not settle for the first one you happen to run across.
                Last edited by blueman335; 05-21-2013, 06:41 AM.
                "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

But the point is in either situation you need to look around and not settle for the first one you happen to run across.
                  If your happy there is no point in not settling. If they find something is missing and are looking sure try others but if someone is actually happy with stock Epi pickups why not? Cause you know better? Or really do they? Not everyones ego is so delicate that they have to try it all to reaffirm that what they have is good. Look how many players are famous for having used the same gear for decades. Tone seeking itself becomes a hobby and thats cool if thats what someones into. But if someones happy with their sound you really do them a disservice by implying that they dont know good tone. The problem isnt that there are many players sharing many experience the problem is a few players trumpet their experience and opinions over others. Ive said that multiple times in this exact thread. Ovenman has stated probably 3 or 4 times he likes his JB in his SG and he gets promptly ignored by you. Very curious isnt it? Why do you ignore him but you dont ignore when anyone posts something negative about the JB? Tell me that please?
                  "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
                    In january 1980 I bought a custom parts strat, which parts (Swamp Ash body, and Birds-eye maple neck, Ebony fingerboard)were chosen and assembled for me by John Suhr, the in-house luthier at the time at Rudy's Music Stop in NYC.

His choice of p'ups was the Hot-Rodded set, wired with 250K pots. No ice-pick. I've used this guitar as a backup for over 20 years. No complaints whatsoever.

Two weeks ago, a customer of mine brought me a Epi LP to upgrade with a Hot Rodded set for his son, and after I've redid the guts, put good 500K pots and caps and wired it '50s style, it was ice-pick galore on the JB. He was very happy with an A4/A8 '59 set, and so was his son. The same week I put the same HR set in a lowly nato-bodied Squier HH with asian 250K pots and it sounded ok, the customer was happy.

I'm telling this because my memory is fresh and my findings are consistent with what some members have experienced and warn people about. No hate, no agenda, just stating what actually happened.

HTH,
                    While I can appreciate this we have a perfect example of where I was saying different guitars are different. It also hardly backs up the the theory that JB is an automatic no no in mahogany.

Comment

The JB doesn't have to sound bad in Mahogany.

The strat Rob is playing through is made of Mahogany and comes with a JB and it sounds pretty darn good.

By the way I'm wondering what the OP actually did with his SG.
                      “Dude, sucking at something is the first step towards being sorta good at something.” - Jake the Dog

Comment

JB is an automatic no no in mahogany.
                        In my particular case, the ice-pick presented itself in a mahogany body guitar, the Epi LP, not in my swamp ash strat, not in a nato wood strat either. I'm starting to wonder, even as improbable as it may sound, if the body form factor doesn't add to the dreaded ice pick?

These are the facts, you can interpret'em as you wish.

In my case, I don't recommend the HR set at all; there are other Duncan p'up combos that work nicely every time, specially when you can fine-tune your p'up to your rig and music style/s by simply mag swapping.

But what do I know uh?
                        Last edited by LtKojak; 05-21-2013, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
                          In my particular case, the ice-pick presented itself in a mahogany body guitar, the Epi LP, not in my swamp ash strat, not in a nato wood strat either.

That's the facts, you can interpret'em as you wish.

In my case, I don't recommend the HR set at all; there are other Duncan p'up combos that work nicely every time, specially when you can fine-tune your p'up to your rig and music style/s by simply mag swapping.

But what do I know uh?
                          Sorry the wood thats in every Epi LP ive seen has only been "Mahogany" in name. There might be some that are actually Swietenia Mahogani but none that ive ever seen they are all Toona or what is sometimes called Chinese Mahogany or Australian Red Cedar. Thats why I took them as 3 of examples of non mahogany guitars. If you take it as an example of a mahogany guitar yes then sure.

Comment

While I can appreciate this we have a perfect example of where I was saying different guitars are different. It also hardly backs up the the theory that JB is an automatic no no in mahogany.
                            No one's said that, you're getting worked up for nothing. All we're saying it's not the best first choice for mahogany and other warm woods.

Comment

No one's said that, you're getting worked up for nothing. All we're saying it's not the best first choice for mahogany and other warm woods.
                              I'm not worked up I'm just holding my ground and not caving in to the ideas that are pushed around here commonly. (Side note do you know anything about the SG-J? It has a maple neck instead of a mahogany one. At what point is a guitar bright enough that you would recommend the JB to be used?

Also you ignored my earlier question so maybe you missed it. Why do you grab onto and hold the negative comments about the JB as gospel yet you dismiss when people post positive comments about it? Why do you do that?

Comment

I'm not worked up I'm just holding my ground and not caving in to the ideas that are pushed around here commonly. (Side note do you know anything about the SG-J? It has a maple neck instead of a mahogany one. At what point is a guitar bright enough that you would recommend the JB to be used?

Also you ignored my earlier question so maybe you missed it. Why do you grab onto and hold the negative comments about the JB as gospel yet you dismiss when people post positive comments about it? Why do you do that?
                                by that logic, then the JB is 'perfect' for the SGJ. the JB is 'well suited' for guitars with maple necks.

this is the most 'ice pick' SG/JB video I can find. even then its not horrible.

On another note; you cannot put 'mahogany' into one category of sound especially in a market where buzzwords are it's lifeblood. there are only 3 species of genuine mahogany and 100s of substitutes that are deemed 'mahogany,' like sapele and bubinga. They all sound different ranging from dark to bright. So when a website claims that it is using 'mahogany' of no type, get ready to be skeptical. There is no such thing as a finicky pickup, or finicky wood. They are constants that are free of decision making. how high you raise them towards the strings and what tank circus you use helps shape the sound, but a bobbin with magnets, copper wire and screws will not go 'gee, i don't like this guitar...I'm gonna scream really high'
                                Last edited by 0v3nm4n; 05-21-2013, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X