banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Review/Pics of my Les Paul w/ NEW P'ups (Custom/PGn), Pots (Dual Coil Split), & Caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Review/Pics of my Les Paul w/ NEW P'ups (Custom/PGn), Pots (Dual Coil Split), & C

Originally posted by Niloy63 View Post
    That is awesome! I've heard that putting Duncan Alternative 8 on Strat-type guitars make them sound monstrous. I was initially looking into it for the Les Paul, but from the samples that I had heard, it sounds really dark in thick Mahogany guitars. I've been considering trying an Alternative 8 w/ a Screamin Demon on my Basswood bodied Ibanez RG-570. But your comment about the Lil' SD has me thinking that maybe a full humbucker SD in the neck may be a decent option to try.
    I've tried Alt8 - Demon combo in alder body - maple neck/rosewood fboard LP and mahogany body/maple top - mahogany neck/rosewood fboard LP. In alder LP, Alt8 is crispier and Demon has more sparkle while in mahogany LP this combo is somewhat fuller and rounder. Alt8 is not dark in mahogany. It doesn't react like most hot pickups. It doesn't feel like a hot pickup if you don't want to - if that makes any sense. Alt8 - Demon combo are about clarity, definition and articulation. They're badass too in a superstrat. While the more traditional/classic Custom - PG are my default pickups of choice, Alt8 - Demon have become my favorite combo too.

Comment

Re: Review/Pics of my Les Paul w/ NEW P'ups (Custom/PGn), Pots (Dual Coil Split), & C

Originally posted by elelpe View Post
      I've tried Alt8 - Demon combo in alder body - maple neck/rosewood fboard LP and mahogany body/maple top - mahogany neck/rosewood fboard LP. In alder LP, Alt8 is crispier and Demon has more sparkle while in mahogany LP this combo is somewhat fuller and rounder. Alt8 is not dark in mahogany. It doesn't react like most hot pickups. It doesn't feel like a hot pickup if you don't want to - if that makes any sense. Alt8 - Demon combo are about clarity, definition and articulation. They're badass too in a superstrat. While the more traditional/classic Custom - PG are my default pickups of choice, Alt8 - Demon have become my favorite combo too.
      Great info. I appreciate it!

I've been on the cusp of grabbing an Alt8/SD combo for a little while now, and I think you just tipped me into putting them on the "next to buy" list. Hopefully you can help me with this dilemma though. The Ibanez RG570 has an H/S/H setup. So if I were to put an Alt8 in the bridge and a Demon in the neck, what would be a good candidate for a middle single pickup that would match these two? Perhaps a cool rails? Since the Alt8 and SD are both hot p'ups, I figured a cool rails would allow me some variety with some decent vintage tones. Hmmm...
      Some recordings from my college days a few years ago: http://www.soundcloud.com/mytochon
      "Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." -Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

Why would you need quasi-vintage tone in a hot rod guitar? I tried Alt8-Demon in HH superstrat and actually I'm not a fan of strat middle pickup. The only stratish guitar I have is a Jazzcaster/Stratomaster, a Jazzmaster with strat middle pickup and strat trem. And I don't use the middle pickup on it's own. The 3rd position is bridge-neck. That said if it were me, I'd track down a YJM Fury (has tapped option ... never tried it, just curiosity).

Comment

Why would you need quasi-vintage tone in a hot rod guitar? I tried Alt8-Demon in HH superstrat and actually I'm not a fan of strat middle pickup. The only stratish guitar I have is a Jazzcaster/Stratomaster, a Jazzmaster with strat middle pickup and strat trem. And I don't use the middle pickup on it's own. The 3rd position is bridge-neck. That said if it were me, I'd track down a YJM Fury (has tapped option ... never tried it, just curiosity).
          I was thinking it would've been a good option to increase the versatility of the guitar? Just a different tone for s**ts and giggles to play around with.
          Some recordings from my college days a few years ago: http://www.soundcloud.com/mytochon
          "Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." -Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

Just a different tone for s**ts and giggles to play around with.
            Ah, sorry ... I see. As long as we're happy, right?

Comment

I played a Custom/PG in a Les Paul type (Cadillac) for years. It's just a stellar combination.

The PG is the ultimate LP neck pup IMO. Just does all the right things in all the right spots.
              The Custom is a fantastic PAF on Steroids to compliment it. Just a ribcage shattering THUMP from the bass (Unlike the distortion's CHUNK), and screaming highs.

Just a fantastic combo. Rock on! Great review.
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Ah, sorry ... I see. As long as we're happy, right?
                No apologies needed my friend. And you're absolutely right.

Since you experienced some problems with volume drops in the middle pickup, have you ever considered a Hot Rails in the middle position?

Comment

Since you experienced some problems with volume drops in the middle pickup, have you ever considered a Hot Rails in the middle position?
                  I think you misunderstood me/my previous post wasn't clear. I do have a guitar with triple pickups configuration. It's a Jazzmaster/Strat hybrid: Jazzmaster pickups at the bridge and the neck, and Strat middle pickup with a bit unusual wiring (no middle pickup option). I mentioned it just to underline that I'm not a fan of middle pickup on it's own. And I don't know what to do with middle pickup in a superstrat. I tried Alt8 - Demon in Ibanez S421 btw, so it's a superstrat with H-H pickups configuration (without single coil pickup at the middle) and 3 way switch. So I have no experience with single coil (sized) pickup in between Alt8 and Demon. If you go with this combo in your Ibanez - whatever the wiring and the middle pickup is - you've got to have the mixed of Alt8 and Demon. It has beautifully pristine clean sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                    I played a Custom/PG in a Les Paul type (Cadillac) for years. It's just a stellar combination.

The PG is the ultimate LP neck pup IMO. Just does all the right things in all the right spots.
                    The Custom is a fantastic PAF on Steroids to compliment it. Just a ribcage shattering THUMP from the bass (Unlike the distortion's CHUNK), and screaming highs.

Just a fantastic combo. Rock on! Great review.
                    Thank you! And I totally agree!

I think you misunderstood me/my previous post wasn't clear. I do have a guitar with triple pickups configuration. It's a Jazzmaster/Strat hybrid: Jazzmaster pickups at the bridge and the neck, and Strat middle pickup with a bit unusual wiring (no middle pickup option). I mentioned it just to underline that I'm not a fan of middle pickup on it's own. And I don't know what to do with middle pickup in a superstrat. I tried Alt8 - Demon in Ibanez S421 btw, so it's a superstrat with H-H pickups configuration (without single coil pickup at the middle) and 3 way switch. So I have no experience with single coil (sized) pickup in between Alt8 and Demon. If you go with this combo in your Ibanez - whatever the wiring and the middle pickup is - you've got to have the mixed of Alt8 and Demon. It has beautifully pristine clean sound.
                    Ahhhhhh.... now I get it. I'm thrilled to hear your positive feedback about the Alt8/Demon combo. I never would've assumed that it gave pristine cleans... so that's great to hear as well! Maybe I should just try the bridge & neck pickup first, and then consider the middle pickup later on. I'll decide when the time comes in a month or so.
                    Last edited by Niloy63; 06-01-2013, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X