String Pull Concern w/ A8 Custom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• String Pull Concern w/ A8 Custom

In a recent thread, a concern was expressed here by an illustrious and esteemed colleague of ours , about string pull with the A8 magnet and the Custom. I know how too much string pull can deaden sustain and singing of the neck pickup, so even though i really wanna believe in the Custom A8, I'm very cautious about using it now.
    I'd be inclined to use a Stock Custom now , but am also concerned about the reports of the overly bright nature of the pickup in the bridge, so just wondering what about it. I dont like the Custom5, and IMO the UoA5 would be too similar to that. I'm looking for something in a set neck mahogany Explorer.
    "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Re: String Pull Concern w/ A8 Custom

I would be surprised if the amount of string pull between different grades of magnet reduced sustain by much. I do not know how much stronger the magnetic field of a A8 is versus a A5 or ceramic? I think the most tangible effect is tonal alteration rather than differences in magnetic pull. The only ceramic magnet pickup that I have used that choked string vibration was the Gibson Dirty Fingers. Otherwise every other ceramic magnet pickup I have used has had more sustain and sensitivity.
    Last edited by idsnowdog; 05-17-2013, 06:43 AM.

Comment

A8 is a strong magnet, but it's about the same strength as ceramic. Not a huge deal to worry about.

Set it as you normally would, and if it's choking the sustain, lower it a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
        In a recent thread, a concern was expressed here by an illustrious and esteemed colleague of ours , about string pull with the A8 magnet and the Custom.
        Only rod magnets that are too close to strings can produce enough string pull to cause an adverse audible effect.

The inherent design of a humbucking p'up just prevents this, no matter how strong a bar magnet can be.

For the record, I've used an A8 Custom in my #1 guitar for over four years; no magnetic pull problem whatsoever.

So play more and worry less.

HTH,

Comment

Man,I gotta try one of these Custom 8's...
          "Scalloped & Stickered"
          A Colled One & A Rold One!!!

RIP My Beloved Sleepy Flower

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...t-67-Of-Myself

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
            The inherent design of a humbucking p'up just prevents this, no matter how strong a bar magnet can be.

So play more and worry less.
            Just a side note the invader you can actually get so close to the strings you can hear it pull the note out of tune as it decays.

But I agree play more worry less
            "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
            you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

The only thing that's going to get choked in your house is your chicken or a hooker.
              Last edited by JOLLY; 05-17-2013, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Do you really think it matters?

Comment

Originally posted by CTN View Post
                  A8 is a strong magnet, but it's about the same strength as ceramic. Not a huge deal to worry about.

Set it as you normally would, and if it's choking the sustain, lower it a bit.
                  Agreed. It's hotter, and I did get my alt 8 too close to the strings and had a bit of pull. Lowering the pup fixed everything.

Comment

I ran my custom 8 damn near touching the strings with zero string pull or intonation problems.

However, i wouldnt use one in a neck pickup though, because ive noticed string pull to be more of a problem farther away from the bridge with strong magnets.

For the record, A8 mags have the strongest pull of any others ive used, including ceramic8's.
                    Regarding any post I've made before 2018, assume I've changed my mind by now.

Comment

Working...
                    X