Another Mag Swap Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Mag Swap Thread

Yes, another one. Now I'm wondering about a PG set modded with an A8 with either the stock A2, A3, or A4 in the neck.
    Anybody tried this? Seems like it'd be cool.

Re: Another Mag Swap Thread

no, but I've done the A8 bridge/A4 neck thing with a set of '59s and they sound great. Just so you know, it's not a deal breaker with a set of PAFs, but I dunno how the PG wind differs from the '59 so.....yeah...up to you

Comment

Yeah in my experience the pg is really bright right? Despite the mag being a warmer one? I would think any other magnet would make it too bright sounding, but thats just my speculation.

Comment

Originally posted by Falloffthebonetone View Post
        Yeah in my experience the pg is really bright right? Despite the mag being a warmer one? I would think any other magnet would make it too bright sounding, but thats just my speculation.
        That's why I thought A8. As far as I know, it tends to shift the EQ in favor of the low-mid side of the spectrum.

I know the 59 set is popular for mag swaps. I figured the Pearly set would be different, in a good way. Plus, I try not to have the same pickups in any two guitars. And I've always wanted to try the PG set.

Comment

From my experience with them in LP's, PG's need a brighter neck magnet to get more high end (A5, A4, A3, or UOA5), and a different magnet than an A2 in the bridge. Kind of weak, and surprisingly bright. An A8, UOA5, or even an A4 would increase output and probably give a better tone.
          "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
          "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
          "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

The PG set is a "clone" of the "tone footprint" of an iconic '59 'burst belonging to Billy Gibbons, namely "Pearly Gates".

So the idea behind this set is to get any LP closer to this famous basic "sound".

So, by your own admission, you've never tried a PG set, yet you want to mod it before you know how they sound? I don't think's a good idea, if you don't mind me telling you.

My word of advice is: try'em STOCK for a while, get an accurate feeling of what this set has to offer, THEN you can describe what you want that they're not delivering, and ONLY THEN we can talk 'bout the right mag combo for this set helping you to get closer to the sonic goal your mind's set to.

HTH,
            Last edited by LtKojak; 05-17-2013, 11:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
              The PG set is a "clone" of the "tone footprint" of an iconic '59 'burst belonging to Billy Gibbons, namely "Pearly Gates".

So the idea behind this set is to get any LP closer to this famous basic "sound".

So, by your own admission, you've never tried a PG set, yet you want to mod it before you know how they sound? I don't think's a good idea, if you don't mind me telling you.

My word of advice is: try'em STOCK for a while, get an accurate feeling of what this set has to offer, THEN you can describe what you want that they're not delivering, and ONLY THEN we can talk 'bout the right mag combo for this set helping you to get closer to the sonic goal your mind's set to.

HTH,
              I do have every intention of trying them stock. I was just asking because the idea popped in my head, and I was wondering if anyone on the forum has tried it. Not because there was any sound in my head that I was looking for.

Edit: Thought came to me after reading this thread. https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...-heavier-stuff
              Last edited by EET_FUK; 05-18-2013, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Just in case you missed it.
                Last edited by LtKojak; 05-19-2013, 12:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X