customizing Gus G Fires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• customizing Gus G Fires?

Just dropped a set of the Gus G's in my Charvel custom shop Star. Had factory Blackouts in there but they were missing something. The Fires are an improvement, adding nice passive characteristics: excellent responsiveness, killer harmonics, great high end tone. But... (and there always is a "but" ) the bottom end lacks tightness, crispness. So, is it possible to get SD to customize a set of the Fires to have a tighter, more pronounced bottom end?

Re: customizing Gus G Fires?

Maybe switch out the magnets?

Sorry had to be said.
    Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
    Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
    Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
    Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
    Line 6 Helix
    Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

answer is Yes it is possible.
      You can also find some other pickups on the chart tone of SD website.
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Best Regards:
      Peter (KnifeR)

RazemRock - let's create the community for Guitar Geeks

Facebook Funpage
      YouTube
      Blog

Comment

Originally posted by KnifeR View Post
        answer is Yes it is possible.
        You can also find some other pickups on the chart tone of SD website.

That will work with the preamp volume pot?

Comment

The preamp adds a lot of gain and colors the tone quite a bit. The Ahb-1's started with a jazz set as their base pickup. Anything to hot and dark will just get muddy.

Maybe a 59, pg+ or screamin demon would be better, but I have been toying around with just swapping an A8 or double ceramic into my g-fire bridge to tighten it up. I have another guitar with the Ahb-2 metal bridge in it and its pretty much perfect.

I too found the Ahb-1's & 3's to be lacking something even though the output and tone was boosted over Emg's I liked the Emg's better as a whole.

Comment

I have no idea how it will work in the coil packs, but you could try replacing the filister polepieces with hex polepieces.

Comment

Working...
            X