SH-3 Stag Mag Pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SH-3 Stag Mag Pickups

Anyone have experience with the stag mag pickups? I think they could be really groovy in an HH strat. I don't know what pots would be a good choice for these? I already have 500k pots, but I think I might have to get 250k. Also I am planning to wire them with 2 triple shots so I can have series/parallel/split wiring. What pots?

Also how far should they be from the strings. I assume pretty far back, unlike other humbuckers.

Thanks!

Re: SH-3 Stag Mag Pickups

I have a stag mag its in the neck of a an old Jackson Fusion its a cool pickup. I set it pretty close to the same height as other humbuckers it might be a 1/8th inch lower but its not much, in this guitar it has a RioGrande muy grande for the bridge pickup and I run 500k pots and its not overly bright but it is plenty spanky when split.
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

I like that pickup a lot. Think it would be a better pickup with 42 gauge wire, though. As a humbucker, it's too muddy/hot sometimes.
      Originally posted by LesStrat
      Yogi Berra was correct.
      Originally posted by JOLLY
      I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I have one in the neck of a Tele. It's a great sounding pickup, but it's a bit dark in the neck with the 250k pots when using it in humbucker mode. It's also a bit hot and loud compared to the single coil bridge pickup. I'm actually planning to pull it out at some point and try it in the bridge of a HSS Strat.

I'd be tempted to go with 250k pots for the bridge and 500k for the neck. Alternatively, a spin-a-split could be really cool.
        I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

What's the best place to buy the stag mags? I need a trembucker version for the bridge, and I have some guitar center coupons so i'm hoping I can buy from there

Comment

I actually don't think the Stag Mag is available trem-spaced.
            I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

Thats a shame, I need to find a good set of humbuckers for an HH jazzmaster. I was really hoping the stag mag would work. Oh well. I think i'll get a stag mag neck and 59/custom/hybrid for the bridge. I mainly play funk/ska.

Comment

A pickup not being available trem spaced should never keep you from buying it. It really doesn't matter.
                Originally posted by LesStrat
                Yogi Berra was correct.
                Originally posted by JOLLY
                I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

The thing LIVES to be split. My opinion, on its own it's really chunky and thick sounding. But the sound split is bonafide single coil. Very cool pickups, I think they're stock in a Heritage or 2.

Comment

I think i'll go for a stag mag neck and a trembucker JB bridge. Both with triple shot mounting rings so I can have parallel/series/split both coils.

Comment

I've got one in the bridge of an Ibanez RG that I've made into a Super Strat . I also have a Triple Shot installed. As many above have said, it excels at being split, while the humbucker mode is a little too hot and mushy. However, its in-parallel w itself mode is superb IMO, so much so that is usually where I leave it set. I had tried this pup in the neck slot previously, and found for me that when in humbucker mode it was way too dark and too hot. However, I must admit that I find most humbuckers in the neck slot too dark.
                      Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                        A pickup not being available trem spaced should never keep you from buying it. It really doesn't matter.
                        This. If you want to put it in the bridge, don't let a milimetre or two put you off. Unless it's way out there, it'll still sound like it should.

Comment

Does anyone like the Stag Mag in the bridge position? I'm trying to get a strat tone, I'm thinking the JB might be better for the bridge.

Comment

The stag mag is a bit weak in the bridge. The JB is great in the bridge but sure isnt a single coil even when split.

Why dont you look into the Rio Grande True split series. They are like the stags mags in that they are 2 single coils put together to make a humbucker. When split they sound just like their strat counter parts. The muy grande is thick and chunky when split it sounds more like a quarter pounder and is a bit dark for a single coil but has more muscle. The tall boy is twangy and bright like a classic single coil and the half breed is a split of the 2 sounds.

http://riograndepickups.com/scart/Su...ame=HB+SINGLES
                            "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                            you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

I have a guitar with the SM in the bridge. I don't find it weak at all (it's 16.2k!!!) and in series bucker mode sounds very good. I definitely use 500k pots with it, 250k would undoubtedly sound muddy. In split mode it is a true Strat-like single coil with lots of spank. A Triple Shot works wonders with the SM.
                              Last edited by GuitarDoc; 05-25-2013, 09:56 AM.
                              Originally Posted by IanBallard
                              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
                              X