Ceramic/Alnico HYBRID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ceramic/Alnico HYBRID

Has anyone tried making or found anyone that offers a pickup with BOTH ceramic and alnico 5 magnets in it there are plenty of discussion as to which is better. but why not both? I know ceramic is generally stronger. but I also know you can get weaker ceramics and stronger alnico's. maybe one with a 3 magnet build. one in the middle and the other on the outer.

(p.s. if all your gonna post is. "it'll be bad" "it'll suck" ect ect, then dont bother, tone is down to taste)

Re: Ceramic/Alnico HYBRID

I did that with a Screamin Demon. It was a good balance of both.

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
      I did that with a Screamin Demon. It was a good balance of both.
      How'd you do it?
      Nope...

Comment

you can have an alnico bar in the middle and two small ceramics on the sides

Comment

Originally posted by GilmourD View Post
          How'd you do it?
          Poorly. I cut both magnets down the middle length wise. This is something I don't recommend because the ceramics are brittle and break easily and the A5 is incredibly hard to cut. I put the A5 side facing the neck and the ceramic side facing the bridge. The ceramic gave the demon more bass warmth and treble sizzle.

Comment

Bulldog pickups have a few hybrid magnet models in the works. But i'm not too sure when they'll officially be out
            Please visit and share my guitar gear & DIY Blog
            WWW.BACKLINE.TK

Non Biased General Guitar forum
            http://fret.boards.net

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
              Poorly. I cut both magnets down the middle length wise. This is something I don't recommend because the ceramics are brittle and break easily and the A5 is incredibly hard to cut. I put the A5 side facing the neck and the ceramic side facing the bridge. The ceramic gave the demon more bass warmth and treble sizzle.
              Found out the hard way that Alnico is one of the hardest substances known to man, didja? How did you cut it, and did it require explosives?

Jeremy's suggestion is the best and most practical way, and not only because of the difficulty of cutting Alnico. Alnico has to have a certain minimum distance between the poles or it will demagnetize itself. I've had some custom width Alnico's made and you can get away with 3/8" but below that it gets a little dicey. So if you cut an Alnico bar to 1/4" wide, it might not hold a charge. Ceramic doesn't have that problem because its coercivity is much higher.
              Generic signature line.

Comment

I just looked into Bulldog pickups. it look like they're alnico 3 and 4 combined. not ceramic

Comment

Jeremys Idea is more what i mean. I figure you can take a pickup like the SH-8 Invader with its 3 ceramic magnets and put the side ones in a SH-10 Full Shred keeping its alnico v in the middle. I was hoping someone had already done it or you can buy one like it

Comment

Could you not use 2 slug coils, where one has Alnico rods and the other had a ceramic bar directly under the non-magnetic rods of the coil?

I've seen a single coil that had a ceramic bar under non-magnetic rods, and it worked for that (not sure who made it, though - came with a free-floating Jackson cover).
                    Originally posted by Brown Note
                    I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
                    My Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Zhangliqun View Post
                      Found out the hard way that Alnico is one of the hardest substances known to man, didja? How did you cut it, and did it require explosives?
                      It took quite a few Dremel cutoff wheels. The magnet supply has gotten better so I would go with magnets cut to size if I were to do it again.

Comment

isn't the gibson iommi a mix of a2 and ceramic magnets?
                        Quality riffs in about a minute...
                        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

Yes, and if I remember right Andrew Lamprecht had a 500T with an A2 in the middle with the spacer mags left in it.

Comment

just looked at the Gibson Tony Iommi signature and it is indeed a hybrid of alnico 2 and ceramic. But I'm not looking for vintage tone.

Comment

Iommi = vintage tone? Not really duder.

Comment

Working...
                              X