• Blog: The Stack Plus Single Coil-Size Humbuckers

Click here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	STK-S4.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	5828601
    Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
    Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Re: Blog: The Stack Plus Single Coil-Size Humbuckers

Here are some other interesting tidbits about the Stack Plus pickups:

The Stack Plus pickups use a top coil that is significantly larger than the bottom coil–it’s almost the same size as a traditional Strat pickup coil. The top coil is shielded with a “flux transfer plate” which attracts hum and “injects” it into the much smaller bottom coil, whose sole purpose is to eliminate the hum. The top coil gets the tone. The bottom coil kills the hum.

In addition to this unique design, SD uses a device seldom seen outside a physics laboratory called a Helmholtz coil, to calibrate each individual Stack Plus pickup for maximum hum cancellation. The Helmholtz coil generates an extremely uniform magnetic field that allows test engineers to accurately simulate, on the test bench, the noise conditions found in a typical performance environment. This type of testing and calibration, in addition to the unique magnetic structure of the Hot Stack Plus system, allows it to achieve extraordinarily low levels of 60-cycle (or 50-cycle) hum.

If you've ever taken an SD factory tour with me, you've probably seen the Helmholtz coil.

Cool, eh?

Comment

I have two of the Classics STK-S4 (neck and middle) and recently put a Hot STK-S9b in the bridge with them. These are by far the best noiseless singles I've used. The DiMarzios are good in their own right and probably have one of the better "modern" tones when it comes to noiseless singles, but if you want vintage single-coil tone in a noiseless package, the Classic Stack Plus is hard to beat. The Hot Stack Plus is just great for that over the top hot single-coil sound.

I have mine wired up with a push/pull pot (though I don't need to now but I had a lil' humbucker in the bridge originally) so I can split them (basically turn off the bottom coil) and I can't really tell much of a difference. Playing alone on a clean setting you hear a tad bit more sparkle but in a band setting, you won't be able to tell much of a difference, if any, due to all the other instruments being there.

I highly recommend these.
      Last edited by ErikH; 05-21-2013, 12:06 PM.

Comment

while the more 'classic' tones of the APS and SSL series were nice, I switched to the Vintage Rails many years back. they have the tone but I always needed more output from them for my applications. then I tried the STK-S4 and those are all I have been using in that application since.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan Skopp View Post
          Here are some other interesting tidbits about the Stack Plus pickups:

The Stack Plus pickups use a top coil that is significantly larger than the bottom coil–it’s almost the same size as a traditional Strat pickup coil. The top coil is shielded with a “flux transfer plate” which attracts hum and “injects” it into the much smaller bottom coil, whose sole purpose is to eliminate the hum. The top coil gets the tone. The bottom coil kills the hum.

In addition to this unique design, SD uses a device seldom seen outside a physics laboratory called a Helmholtz coil, to calibrate each individual Stack Plus pickup for maximum hum cancellation. The Helmholtz coil generates an extremely uniform magnetic field that allows test engineers to accurately simulate, on the test bench, the noise conditions found in a typical performance environment. This type of testing and calibration, in addition to the unique magnetic structure of the Hot Stack Plus system, allows it to achieve extraordinarily low levels of 60-cycle (or 50-cycle) hum.

If you've ever taken an SD factory tour with me, you've probably seen the Helmholtz coil.

Cool, eh?
          That's pretty cool.

This is the second time the Helmholtz name has come up for me this week. I was reading about room treatment and the articles mentioned a Helmholtz Resonator to control low frequencies.
          Band: www.colouredanimal.com
          Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
          Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

That's super cool. I love reading about tech in general and it's great to hear about the design details and innovations you guys are brining to the market for guitar players.

Comment

Hey Evan, are the STK-S5's you guys build for Nuno's guitars the same as the STK-S4's?

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                The DiMarzios are good in their own right and probably have one of the better "modern" tones when it comes to noiseless singles, but if you want vintage single-coil tone in a noiseless package, the Classic Stack Plus is hard to beat.
                I would agree with this. While we were in development on the Stack Plus series, I listened to the DiMarzio Virtual Vintage and compared them to Antiquity Strat pickups and I was really impressed. The DiMarzios were very much the standard we aimed to exceed with the Stack Plus series. That's not a knock against DiMarzio by any means. My hat's off to them for making a great-sounding pickup. For me personally, I just like the Stack Plus series more.

Originally posted by darthphineas View Post
                while the more 'classic' tones of the APS and SSL series were nice, I switched to the Vintage Rails many years back. they have the tone but I always needed more output from them for my applications. then I tried the STK-S4 and those are all I have been using in that application since.
                Keep this in mind about Vintage Rails (and Duckbuckers): they're wired in parallel. That means they're way more sensitive to string height than other Rails or Stack pickups. You really need to get them around 3/16" from the strings. Once they get farther than 3/16" they start to lose output. But I agree, they're a great sounding pickup. Replacing another brand's pickup in my '85 Strat with Vintage Rails was the first time I was amazed by how much better my guitar sounded.

Originally posted by Will S-T View Post
                Hey Evan, are the STK-S5's you guys build for Nuno's guitars the same as the STK-S4's?
                Not exactly the same but very close. I used Nuno as a beta tester on the the Classic Stack Plus. As a result of the beta test, we made some minor tweaks to the pickup. But Nuno said he loved the beta version as-is and didn't want any tweaks to it. So we kept that version for him and Washburn. One of the questions on the beta survey was "What do you think of the name 'Stack Plus'?" I won't tell you what Nuno's suggestion for the product name was on account of this being a PG-13 forum, but it was pretty hilarious.

Another member asked me in a PM to "talk a little bit about your personal experience with these and how the tone sounds in comparison with the regular SSL-1." Do the Stack Plus pickups sound exactly like an SSL-1 (or Antiquity)? I'd have to say no, to be perfectly frank. For one thing, when you add d.c.resistance to coils wired in series, you lower the resonant peak frequency. That's one of the reasons true single coil Strat pickups have that bright and clear sound. Plus, not only are you canceling 60 cycles, but every multiple of 60: 120Hz, 180Hz, etc.

But keep this in mind: your guitar is a tool for creation and self-expression. You need the right tool for the job. Sometimes, particularly in a studio environment, or if you're playing a club with old wiring or florescent lights or a neon sign, you just can't deal with the hum. And perhaps you are willing to make a small compromise in tonality for the sake of hum-free performance. If so, I really think you can't do better than SD's Stack Plus series. YMMV.

Comment

Keep this in mind about Vintage Rails (and Duckbuckers): they're wired in parallel. That means they're way more sensitive to string height than other Rails or Stack pickups. You really need to get them around 3/16" from the strings. Once they get farther than 3/16" they start to lose output. But I agree, they're a great sounding pickup. Replacing another brand's pickup in my '85 Strat with Vintage Rails was the first time I was amazed by how much better my guitar sounded.
                  thanks for clarifying. the VRs were well within that spacing range. and I needed more output, so the STK-S4 line has been ideal. both are great, but one suited my rig better. ;-)

Comment

I

Another member asked me in a PM to "talk a little bit about your personal experience with these and how the tone sounds in comparison with the regular SSL-1." Do the Stack Plus pickups sound exactly like an SSL-1 (or Antiquity)? I'd have to say no, to be perfectly frank. For one thing, when you add d.c.resistance to coils wired in series, you lower the resonant peak frequency. That's one of the reasons true single coil Strat pickups have that bright and clear sound. Plus, not only are you canceling 60 cycles, but every multiple of 60: 120Hz, 180Hz, etc.

But keep this in mind: your guitar is a tool for creation and self-expression. You need the right tool for the job. Sometimes, particularly in a studio environment, or if you're playing a club with old wiring or florescent lights or a neon sign, you just can't deal with the hum. And perhaps you are willing to make a small compromise in tonality for the sake of hum-free performance. If so, I really think you can't do better than SD's Stack Plus series. YMMV.
                    Thanks for the candid and technically detailed response, Evan. Every time I have a detailed technical question, you not only answer it but you show great integrity in your dealings with the community. You da man!

Comment

Thanks Evan, that was very interesting and insightful. Love tech stuff
                      Where Words Fail, Music Speaks
                      If a positive attitude is a Magnet for positive results, what type positive attitude sounds best, A2, A5, UOA5, A8, C8, or?

Comment

Working...
                      X