Baritone Pickups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baritone Pickups?

I have a PRS Mike Mushok Baritone guitar, and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with SD pickups in baritone guitars? I wanna change the pickups but I don't know which would be the best for the extended low end.

Re: Baritone Pickups?

I wouldn't get anything too bright, personally. That's a bright guitar (played 2) and IME, it's lacking in mids. The extended scale also makes the notes very clear and bell like.

What are you going to tune it to? (and string gauge)
    What type of music will you be playing with it?

Comment

Invader might be a good choice for modern metal
      "It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Comment

I have a baritone Strat I built with SSL-1s in the neck and bridge and a Custom Shop humbucker in the bridge, wired with a switch for series/parallel/split. I might be the wrong person to ask, 'cause I definitely use it for twang, not metal...but the humbucker is a bit lower output, and the the guitar has a huge, clear, piano-like sound. For my purposes, it kills!

Comment

I've tried my buddy's baritone with a custom5 in it, and it's pretty damn good.
          Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
          Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
          Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
          Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
          Line 6 Helix
          Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

I play metal mostly, I have invaders installed in my ibanez, I'm not too much of a big fan of em... the baritone has a mahogany body, and has 2 humbuckers.

string gauge: 14-68
            Tuning: A D G C E A
            Genre(s): Metal and other various heavy rock styles

Comment

The nice big strings should do most of the bass lifting for you but too much treble is bothersome when youre shooting for something bigger and darker. So something more mid and bass priented would be ideal, so the invader seems like a great fit. The custom custom also comes to mind too. And you can go active if you want. The EMTY's eould work well with larger strings and lower tuning.

Comment

Originally posted by JonathanMK View Post
                I play metal mostly, I have invaders installed in my ibanez, I'm not too much of a big fan of em... the baritone has a mahogany body, and has 2 humbuckers.

string gauge: 14-68
                Tuning: A D G C E A
                Genre(s): Metal and other various heavy rock styles
                Duncan Distortion works great for low tunings. It has a nice throaty growl but still cuts on the high end. It works well for mohogany too. Check out some youtube videos with Ola Englund or Keith Merrow. They both have plenty of low tuned videos using various Duncan pups for comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by Grindspine View Post
                  Duncan Distortion works great for low tunings. It has a nice throaty growl but still cuts on the high end. It works well for mohogany too. Check out some youtube videos with Ola Englund or Keith Merrow. They both have plenty of low tuned videos using various Duncan pups for comparison.

Yep, I'm going to agree that a Distortion will slay in that guitar. It works well with low tunings already (the 27.7" scale will accentuate this even more), and its mids will help fill out the guitar.
                  The low tuning & heavy strings will also tame the DD's high end a bit too, and will accentuate the bass and low mids. I don't see how you could go wrong with it.

The ONLY other suggestion would be an SH-5 Custom, but I'm 100% for the DD.

Comment

Originally posted by JonathanMK View Post
                    I have a PRS Mike Mushok Baritone guitar, and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with SD pickups in baritone guitars? I wa
                    nna change the pickups but I don't know which would be the best for the extended low end.
                    What is it about the current pups that you don’t like? Articulating that will help in making recommendations for you.
                    Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Working...
                    X