Double Cream vintage SD? Gibson? PU ID Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double Cream vintage SD? Gibson? PU ID Help

Hi guys..Got this double cream humbucker and I have been trying to find out info on it if possible. I have posted this up on numerous forums but no luck yet..Only possibilities thrown around. It reads 7k..I was told by the guy I purchased it off that when he received it, he received it as an OTPG pickup. After some discussion on some other forums I was told the sticker on my pickup does not match their paf sticker. Their sticker looks like a vintage paf sticker. I was wondering if possibly this was a vintage gibson pickup because it has the single wooden spacer, tooling marks on the mount feet, reading ect..Though it does not have the correct sticker it appears and no brass adjustable poles. Also the guy I purchased it from said because he received it as an OTPG pickup he had it checked out by a pickup winder he trusts, the winder said it was an early seymour duncan paf. Maybe you guys can give me some insights into that possibility..As always your help is appreciated.

Re: Double Cream vintage SD? Gibson? PU ID Help

OTPG?
    Nope...

Comment

The guys in the tonefreaks section of the My Les Paul forum are good at spotting the provinence of PAF type pickups. I'd say that buying any OTPG pickup is a doubtful enterprise unless its from the maker directly. There is also more hype than reality to them IMO

It doesn't seem to be a SD either, as they (to my knowledge) never put the patent applied for sticker on the bottom.
      My guess is perhaps an early run Classic 57

Comment

Looks like it might have been white at one point and the color changed with age. Nowadays Duncan lets you know when the work is theirs. I don't know how they used to work back in the day though, and maybe they just released pickups like this. Looks awesome I'll give it that. Got a totally vintage spec. Not much to go on with just a faded paf sticker on it. If it is an Over The Pond Guy pickup that would be crazy. Have you tried it in anything yet? Based on how it sounds you might get a little more about it.

Comment

Originally posted by GilmourD View Post
          OTPG?
          Over The Pond Guy. Google it, apparently he's a pickup maker that makes/made amazing recreations of vintage pafs.

Comment

It's not an SD.
            Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
            Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
              The guys in the tonefreaks section of the My Les Paul forum are good at spotting the provinence of PAF type pickups. I'd say that buying any OTPG pickup is a doubtful enterprise unless its from the maker directly. There is also more hype than reality to them IMO

It doesn't seem to be a SD either, as they (to my knowledge) never put the patent applied for sticker on the bottom.
              My guess is perhaps an early run Classic 57
              Alex, those guys are the ones I went to first to see about the OTPG connection. I basically have posted this there, gibson forums, and now here because of the possible connection to all 3. They told me in the tone freaks section that my paf sticker was wrong for an OTPG pickup. I have looked at pics of the OTPG pickups and their sticker looks more vintage correct. Mine looks more like that aftermarket paf sticker you see now and days. I have never played one so I honestly don't know about the sound? I know for the price you see them go for they better sound pretty darn special.lol

Yeah the 57 classic possibility has been mentioned on every forum I posted this. Though the tooling marks on the mounting feet seem to throw off that possibility. So I don't know?

Comment

Originally posted by Falloffthebonetone View Post
                Looks like it might have been white at one point and the color changed with age. Nowadays Duncan lets you know when the work is theirs. I don't know how they used to work back in the day though, and maybe they just released pickups like this. Looks awesome I'll give it that. Got a totally vintage spec. Not much to go on with just a faded paf sticker on it. If it is an Over The Pond Guy pickup that would be crazy. Have you tried it in anything yet? Based on how it sounds you might get a little more about it.
                Falloffthebonetone, it does look awesome! I have not tried it yet. The guy I got it off of said it cuts out from time to time which is why he removed it from his les paul and eventually sold it to me. I have had no problem getting readings from it. Might just be a loose connection or something. Before I use it I wanted to see if something needed a fix first. The guy I got it from spoke very highly of how this pickup sounds. So I am really looking forward to trying it. This may be a pickup I slap in one of my guitars and just leave it there.

Comment

Originally posted by guitarglynn View Post
                  Falloffthebonetone, it does look awesome! I have not tried it yet. The guy I got it off of said it cuts out from time to time which is why he removed it from his les paul and eventually sold it to me. I have had no problem getting readings from it. Might just be a loose connection or something. Before I use it I wanted to see if something needed a fix first. The guy I got it from spoke very highly of how this pickup sounds. So I am really looking forward to trying it. This may be a pickup I slap in one of my guitars and just leave it there.
                  Cutting out huh? I had a neck strat pickup that used to do that. But every time we got readings from it, it would say it's perfectly fine. Maybe when it's soldered in the problem will get fixed in the process. Who knows. Let us know what you think of it though.

Comment

I've attached a 57 classic pic which is also a bit worn....seems very close to what you have.

Not sure what you mean by tooling marks, but the classic pics both have scuffs on the base in similar areas.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Falloffthebonetone View Post
                      Cutting out huh? I had a neck strat pickup that used to do that. But every time we got readings from it, it would say it's perfectly fine. Maybe when it's soldered in the problem will get fixed in the process. Who knows. Let us know what you think of it though.
                      Will do Falloffthebonetone

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
                        I've attached a 57 classic pic which is also a bit worn....seems very close to what you have.

Not sure what you mean by tooling marks, but the classic pics both have scuffs on the base in similar areas.
                        AlexR, the tooling marks are on the bottom of the mounting feet. Check out this link http://home.provide.net/~cfh/paf.html if you have not already read this and they show you the tooling marks.. I would need to see more of that humbucker. I have had several sets of 57 classics but all of them were covered. But it is possible. More than one person who know more about these pickups than I do has brought up that they feel it could be some sort of classic 57.

Comment

Working...
                        X