Angled (Nighthawk) baseplates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angled (Nighthawk) baseplates?

I'm about to rout a SSS Strat guard for a humbucker. I'm looking at it and thinking that one of those Nighthawk pickups could be cool, but I don't want a '59 or a JB.

My questions for SD are:

1) Can any humbucker – in my case probably a Seth or a PG – be made Nighthawk style?

2) Can a humbucker owner send in a regular humbucker to have it converted to the canted style?

3) Can a humbucker owner purchase the parts required to do his/her own conversion?

Thanks
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Re: Angled (Nighthawk) baseplates?

for the custom shop, yeah they can probably do that.

Why couldn't you just do a slanted regular humbucker?

Comment

Cuz it looks absolutely horrible. Not just bad, but flat-out retarded.
      Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

ah.

Well SD does make the JB and i think '59 in nighthawk style, so I don't think it'd be too complicated to use the same bobbins/baseplate etc for a different wind.

Comment

I'm wondering if the magnets are angle cut as well.
          Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

no idea, but i would assume so.
            if they're not, then they're extra long.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
              Cuz it looks absolutely horrible. Not just bad, but flat-out retarded.
              Aww cmooon they dont look THAT bad. By the way what kind of pickup were you shooting for?

Comment

Sorry. man. We'll have to just disagree. I'll never like it, and I think it has ruined many a cool guitar. I didn't wanna mention my feelings on it, but someone specifically asked.....
                Last edited by ItsaBass; 05-24-2013, 05:40 PM.
                Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

Sorry. man. We'll have to just disagree. I'll never like it, and I think it has ruined many a cool guitar. I didn't wanna mention my feelings on it, but someone specifically asked.....
                  Sno big deal dude, i get where you're coming from.

Comment

I made my own base plate to cant the coils of one HB that I had in my Strat. I made it out of some brass sheet that I got from the hobby shop, and I canted them the opposite way of a Strat and used the stock mag. It worked out just fine.
                    Where Words Fail, Music Speaks
                    If a positive attitude is a Magnet for positive results, what type positive attitude sounds best, A2, A5, UOA5, A8, C8, or?

Comment

1) Can any humbucker – in my case probably a Seth or a PG – be made Nighthawk style?
                      Yes.

2) Can a humbucker owner send in a regular humbucker to have it converted to the canted style?
                      Yes. You only need to transfer your own bobbins to a different baseplate.

3) Can a humbucker owner purchase the parts required to do his/her own conversion?
                      You need to ask'em directly, as the Nighthawk baseplate may be a proprietary design, their policy may as well be no availability for the general public or availabilty with certain restrictions, like only to registered authorized Duncan dealers or only members of The Guild of American Luthiers, fx; altought very unlikely, if you ask me.

Thanks
                      You're most welcome.
                      Last edited by LtKojak; 05-25-2013, 01:40 AM.

Comment

the nighthawk pups, at least the stock ones, are weird. two rows of studs and a normal humbucker magnet. the baseplate doesnt have holes for screw poles

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                          the nighthawk pups, at least the stock ones, are weird. two rows of studs and a normal humbucker magnet. the baseplate doesnt have holes for screw poles
                          The Slanted Duncans have both screw and slug coils, in both the '59 and the JB.

Comment

Here are some pics of the one I put togetherClick image for larger version

Name:	PU pics.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	5768590Click image for larger version

Name:	PU pics2.jpg
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	5768591Click image for larger version

Name:	PU pics3.jpg
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	5768593 The coils are a Goto HB and it originally had a thicker ceramic mag. I put a ruff cast A5 in it with a wood shim under it.
                            Where Words Fail, Music Speaks
                            If a positive attitude is a Magnet for positive results, what type positive attitude sounds best, A2, A5, UOA5, A8, C8, or?

Comment

The only difference between a regular SD humbucker and the slanted SD humbucker is the baseplate. I have the Nighthawk '59 & JB pickups sitting on my bench, but have yet to install them. I've wondered the same thing as you though: would SD sell the baseplate outright? I don't know. It doesn't have their logo engraved like on standard humbuckers. I have an old MJ Pearly Gates that I think would be awesome in the Nighthawk. I just need the baseplate or send it in to MJ. If you get an answer from SD, please let me know as I'm interested too. Thsnks!

Comment

Working...
                              X