JB 250k pot question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JB 250k pot question

I have a JB with a 500K volume and a 500k tone pot.
    If I turn down the 500k Tone pot part of the way will this really give me the sound of a 250k volume pot connected to the JB.

Thanks in advance and sorry this has probably been asked before.

PEACE
    Last edited by joyouswolf; 05-25-2013, 01:23 PM.
    joyouswolf on eBay for references.
    Over 1000 all positive feedback.

Re: JB 250k pot question

It will give you something similar because the tone is darkened and the output decreases a bit but no I don't think so. I could be wrong.

Comment

they will both be darker but not the same. the 250k pot will give you a little less top end. the tone control rolled back will dump lots of high end to ground.

if you like what you have but want just a little less highend then put a 250k pot in there

Comment

Yes and no.

To begin with - you'll never hit 250k perfectly. It's at about 7.2 or something like that. And no, it won't be exactly the same. I say the 250k pot is preferable to the turn down tone wise.

But, remember, you can always turn a 500k pot down, but you can't turn a 250k pot up!.

I say go 500k, with a 50's mod and turn it down for flexibility. Or, just go 250 if you find the highs strident.

I actually went with an A8 and 500k pots. Love it!
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Not to my ears... I have tried it before and it is just different.
          If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Thanks all and your right it does not sound the same. I put it in there and just wanted some feedback from you all.
            I guess I wanted to keep the 500k pots in there because it would be easier to change to other pickups and I'm doing that a lot right now.
            I do like the 250k on the JB. I sounds little more open then rolling back the tone alone.
            The thing is I only have 1 volume and 1 tone on my guitar so to go with the 250K pot means I need to go with 2 volumes 1 for each pickup JB/Jazz combo.
            Oh well
            PEACE

Comment

You can just connect a 510K resistor from the JB's hot output to ground, keeping the 500K volume pot, and then it will "see" 250K as its load.

Comment

Originally posted by jumble jumble View Post
                You can just connect a 510K resistor from the JB's hot output to ground, keeping the 500K volume pot, and then it will "see" 250K as its load.
                How to you calculate what value of resistor that you need?
                "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by jumble jumble View Post
                  Great suggestion. I was actually gonna suggest mini-switch. Then you put a 500k pot in, but switch the resistance as needed for the particulalr pup, if you are all swap crazy and whatnot.
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

To expand on Jumble and Ace's ideas, consider wiring a 500k push/pull pot with the added 510k resistor. Down would be just the 500k pot as usual, up would add the resistor to the circuit when you want that 250k sound.
                    “The hell with the rules. If it sounds right, then it is.” - Edward Van Halen

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
                      How to you calculate what value of resistor that you need?
                      510k is a standard value resistor, and paralleling that with the pot will give the effect of roughly halving the volume pot resistive load.

The math is as follows:

1/r1 +1/r2 = 1/R

r1 is the pot, r2 is the resistor. Big R is your result, which you take the reciprocal of to get your total resistance.

1/500k + 1/510k = approximately 252k ohms. Close enough for our purposes.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
                      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                      ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
                      Originally posted by Securb
                      The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

Originally posted by trevorus View Post
                        510k is a standard value resistor, and paralleling that with the pot will give the effect of roughly halving the volume pot resistive load.

The math is as follows:

1/r1 +1/r2 = 1/R

r1 is the pot, r2 is the resistor. Big R is your result, which you take the reciprocal of to get your total resistance.

1/500k + 1/510k = approximately 252k ohms. Close enough for our purposes.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Grazie thats what I was after.
                        "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                        you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

I used duncan distortion with 250 k pots without noticing it and still use it that way Makes the pup darker indeed which i love even though im more of a mid ranged -sharp sound guy.

Esp Ltd Alexi-600
                          Schecter Hellraiser C-1
                          Washburn Mg-24 with DD

Comment

Originally posted by dotsdad View Post
                            To expand on Jumble and Ace's ideas, consider wiring a 500k push/pull pot with the added 510k resistor. Down would be just the 500k pot as usual, up would add the resistor to the circuit when you want that 250k sound.
                            SWEET.
                            That is a nice idea thanks for that one and thanks to all.
                            Peace

Comment

Working...
                            X