banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Parallel Axis STKn1 - Stacked Single Coil vs Humbuckers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parallel Axis STKn1 - Stacked Single Coil vs Humbuckers?

So... I got my hands on a Duncan PA-STKn1 - the single coil version of the parallel axis series. I'm planning to use it as a NECK pickup in place of a lil 59n in a Mahogany strat-type guitar which has a full-sized JB humbucker on the bridge.

What can I expect?

Will it be able to keep up with the JB on the bridge?

I would really hate that I would have to lower the JB too much and lose the bite just so I have the bridge and neck pups balanced, volume wise.

Re: Parallel Axis STKn1 - Stacked Single Coil vs Humbuckers?

Anybody?

You think the JB (16.4k) or even the Distortion Parallel Axis (21.3k) would overpower the Parallel Axis SC stack (6.8k)?

Comment

I had the Parallel Axis Trembucker Distortion PATB-2 install in the bridge of my Ibanez RG1560JB and the Parallel Axis Stack PA-STK1n in the neck and middle positions. I love the setup! Volume wise they sound balanced when switching between bridge and neck.

Click image for larger version

Name:	rg1560jb.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	5768873

Comment

Just installed my Parallel Axis set on my Washburn MG90. The single coil stacks, to my surprise and disappointment, were TALLER than the SSL-5s they replaced!

The MG90 being direct mounted, I could not get the Parallel Axis stacks lower and to my liking. The middle pup was especially troublesome as it is getting in the way of my picking (I dig in quite a bit -- I love a good pick attack).

I just adjusted the bridge pup to balance the neck pup and ignore the middle pup. It's not too bad though. I think they're fine. I have to test it some more and perhaps do a little further tweaking when I play it louder. Here's a photo:

Comment

Nope, it's perfectly matched to the PATB Distortion, and the JB is not quite as loud, so it wouldn't have problems keeping up.

My Charvel 475 has an extra measure of insurance by having an active midboost to juice the neck pickup for leads, but it doesn't really need it.

I was a little concerned before buying that I wouldn't be able to get crystal clean Strat sounds with the stacks, but it's not a problem. And they look VERY cool, too!

Mesa/Boogie MkIII+ & MkIVb + Mark Series Stack
          Marshall JVM410H
          Charvel 650 Custom-EMG 85/SLV/SLV+SPC
          Charvel San Dimas I Koa USA BKP + Style 1 2H - JB/'59, Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ
          ESP Eclipse II EMG 81/60 + Viper Urban Camo + JH-600 SPC (2)
          Carvin DC400CA + DC127T Koa - DD/'59
          Fender Custom Yngwie Strat - Seafoam Green w/rosewood, Fender Yngwie Strat - Sonic Blue w/maple, Fender Telecaster
          Charvel 475 Deluxe + 475 Exotic PATB set
          Ibanez UV7BK, B.C. Rich Eagle - Evo2/Air Norton

Comment

Nice Charvel you got there. Did you have issues with the single coil heights like I did? Yours are direct-mounted as well.

Yes, on the crystal clean sound of a strat on those stacks. It surprised me how it "sparkles". The PATB distortion sounded muffled and weak compared to it, when playing clean.

Comment

I had no height issues at all. The Distortion is definitely not a pickup for playing clean! PATB-2 seems even louder and nastier than my standard Distortion in another guitar, I always have to back the gain down a tad when using that guitar! Sounds great though.
              Mesa/Boogie MkIII+ & MkIVb + Mark Series Stack
              Marshall JVM410H
              Charvel 650 Custom-EMG 85/SLV/SLV+SPC
              Charvel San Dimas I Koa USA BKP + Style 1 2H - JB/'59, Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ
              ESP Eclipse II EMG 81/60 + Viper Urban Camo + JH-600 SPC (2)
              Carvin DC400CA + DC127T Koa - DD/'59
              Fender Custom Yngwie Strat - Seafoam Green w/rosewood, Fender Yngwie Strat - Sonic Blue w/maple, Fender Telecaster
              Charvel 475 Deluxe + 475 Exotic PATB set
              Ibanez UV7BK, B.C. Rich Eagle - Evo2/Air Norton

Comment

The PATB is very aggressive when playing dirty. I had to lower the bridge pup quite a bit!

Comment

Working...
                X