banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to 'match' volume on mismatched pickups...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to 'match' volume on mismatched pickups...

Is there a way to match the volume of the neck and bridge humbuckler pickups on 'un-matched' sets? All new CTS pots 500s, new cap no split just volume and tone...? why is the bridge pickup much lower in volume?

Re: How to 'match' volume on mismatched pickups...

Did you test the bridge bucker before can you confirm its working properly?
    Welcome btw

Esp Ltd Alexi-600
    Schecter Hellraiser C-1
    Washburn Mg-24 with DD

Comment

Originally posted by joevague View Post
      Is there a way to match the volume of the neck and bridge humbuckler pickups on 'un-matched' sets? All new CTS pots 500s, new cap no split just volume and tone...? why is the bridge pickup much lower in volume?
      How much lower in volume?
      Within the range that raising or lowering either pickup will not make up the difference?
      The strings travel further and are louder over the Neck Pickup than over the Bridge. That will make some difference.
      If the difference is extreme, I would check all of your solder joints on the Bridge PU.

Comment

Originally posted by Manix View Post
        Did you test the bridge bucker before can you confirm its working properly?
        Welcome btw
        Yes....find, reads perfectly

Comment

I checked the outputs, and height makes no differnce in volume variable.... neck and both (middle) position same volume, just bridge and there is a loss... guitar is dead silent, no buzz-couldn't ask for more actually except the volume problem....the difference is aprox 25%

Comment

Which 2 pickups are they?

Comment

Do you have a schematic that you can upload to show us your configuration?

Comment

You're assuming that 'matched' sets have equal volumes, which is often not the case. Adjust the PU and pole piece heights to balance the volumes.
                "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

I just had a similar problem with matching PUP output. The Lil Screamin demon I have didn't keep up with the buckers I have but once I raised it up fairly close to the strings it's perfect also I lowered the neck pup as well but that was mostly to get a smoother more mellow tone.
                  Originally posted by KBliss
                  WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
                  Originally posted by trevorus
                  The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

Neck pickups often get moved down as low as they can go, and bridge pickups are set close to the strings.

If the two pickups are close to the same K reading then you start having issues with the neck overpowering the bridge.

Comment

what are the two pickups?...and is the guitar a hollowbody?
                      "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                      Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I'll join the questioning crowd: What are the pickups? And what is their DC reading? What is the guitar they are in? How high/low are they set?
                        Unbelief is safe, because it takes no risk and almost always gets what it expects.

When your passion begins to decline, you already start to die. You were born to burn.

Comment

Originally posted by joevague View Post
                          why is the bridge pickup much lower in volume?
                          Quite simply because the string does not move as much over the bridge pickup, as it does over the neck pickup.

Comment

Working...
                          X