So uh, I've got this SGJ coming.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So uh, I've got this SGJ coming.

And I usually hate stock Gibson humbuckers. I've never had a 490T/R set, but if they're anything like the other 400 series pickups from Gibson, they won't be staying around long. Problem is, I've never owned an SG before and to compound the problem, this one isn't traditionally built since it has a maple neck.

Last night I was thinking Bill & Becky 500XL in the bridge and a Prail in the neck. Now I'm not so sure. As soon as I get it, it's getting a set of .11-.52 strings and setup for C# for some Sabbath/C.0.C. jammage. I know the 500XL will handle the metal riffage just fine. Not so sure about the P Rail.

P.S. no mag swaps.
    Gear: More junk than I know what to do with

Re: So uh, I've got this SGJ coming.

Originally posted by Mr 9finger View Post
    And I usually hate stock Gibson humbuckers. I've never had a 490T/R set, but if they're anything like the other 400 series pickups from Gibson, they won't be staying around long. Problem is, I've never owned an SG before and to compound the problem, this one isn't traditionally built since it has a maple neck.

Last night I was thinking Bill & Becky 500XL in the bridge and a Prail in the neck. Now I'm not so sure. As soon as I get it, it's getting a set of .11-.52 strings and setup for C# for some Sabbath/C.0.C. jammage. I know the 500XL will handle the metal riffage just fine. Not so sure about the P Rail.

P.S. no mag swaps.

Why don't you go for a Seymour Duncan Distortion Mayhem set? They will do metal really nice!
    Check out my solo singer/songwriter/guitarist work on Facebook!
    Follow Me on Twitter!

Comment

I've played those SGJ's and those pickups are serious metal monsters. I played it through a Vox AC30, and they were shredding like no other. I can only imagine what they'll sound like through an actual metal amp.
      Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
      Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
      Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
      Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
      Line 6 Helix
      Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

They've got a thinner-than-standard body, too, right? I'd probably go for a pickup that doesn't emphasize treble as much, like maybe a Custom Custom. That's just me, though.
        Nope...

Comment

I think i would listen to it acoustically first to decide what it needs. The L500XL is a cool pickup in the right guitar and an absolute ear stabber in the wrong one.
          "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
          you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
            I think i would listen to it acoustically first to decide what it needs. The L500XL is a cool pickup in the right guitar and an absolute ear stabber in the wrong one.
            Very true about the 500XL and just good advice overall.

Comment

The 490's are like a Seth or a T-top perhaps....low output.

Unless they come with different pickups in different models they aren't metal monsters naturally....maybe there's a version with a 500T as stock instead of a 490

Comment

The 490R with an A5 is a nice pickup. Never tried to put an A5 in the 490T but I've hear it makes it sound pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by GilmourD View Post
                  They've got a thinner-than-standard body, too, right? I'd probably go for a pickup that doesn't emphasize treble as much, like maybe a Custom Custom. That's just me, though.
                  Theyre the same thickness as normal SGs, just no pickgaurd and a handrubbed finish instead of nitro. The maple neck makes it a tad brighter than normal. Nice guitars.

Comment

Originally posted by XPAULPITT View Post
                    The 490R with an A5 is a nice pickup. Never tried to put an A5 in the 490T but I've hear it makes it sound pretty good.
                    +1. A5's in 490R's are very good, and not as boomy as '59N's. In my 490T's I've used UOA5 and A8, both of which sound pretty good.
                    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

The stock pickups have EMG type solid covers on them. I don't know if they're just stuck on there or the bobbins are potted/epoxied into them. On top of that, I'm not real keen on doing anything to the stock pickups. I don't know what these guitars will be worth in 50 years. I'll just leave the original stuff intact and buy something different if I don't like them.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr 9finger View Post
                        I don't know what these guitars will be worth in 50 years.
                        Not a lot.
                        "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                        "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                        "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Definitely want a Custom in the bridge. The 500XL might be a bit too piercing for what you want to play. Custom is perfect for what you want to jam on.
                          http://www.lonephantom.com
                          http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/author/stephen/

Comment

Go for a Custom in the bridge. I am a big fan of the 500L/XL.. But I think they can be too much in this.

Or if you dont mind DiMarzios.. Go for a Super 3. Its a beast and can do this thick metal thing all day long, and has a tight bottom end, so it doesn't fart out when doing fast rhythms. It would rule in an SG and do exactly what you are looking for

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
                              Not a lot.
                              And you know this how? Seriously. You got a crystal ball or some kind of time travel device? If so, I'd like the winning numbers to the next $500million lottery or the next big thing in stocks. For all you, I, or anyone else knows, the 59LP of the future could be a bolt on Agile 7 string made in Indonesia.

Comment

Working...
                              X