• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pickup legs length?

Short pickup legs = 1/4"
    Long pickup legs = 1/2"
    Is this correct?

I just received a Duncan 78 Model with 1/4" legs. I wanted the long legs.

Re: pickup legs length?

Originally posted by kelso View Post
    I just received a Duncan 78 Model with 1/4" legs. I wanted the long legs.
    I'd use the long legs ONLY when installing'em in a big Jazz box, like a Gibson L-5 CES, for example.

Any other p'up for any other kind of guitar I'd prefer the short legs, as they're much less-prone to wabble than their counterparts.

WHY you specifically want the long legs, if you don't mind me asking, of course?

Comment

+1. I much prefer to use short legs.
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Typical forum question: "how do I do X?"
        Typical forum answer: "do Y instead, it's much better"

To answer the OP, yes you are correct, short legs are .25" and long are .5".

Comment

I'm glad you started this thread. I was wondering why my '59s were wobbling so much in my guitar, and see that the stock pups had short legs and the SD '59s came with long legs (black, 4-wire). Is that normal? It's not a nice fit.

Comment

It is normal, yeah. You can help it by jamming a load of foam in there under the pickup.

Comment

You can buy short or long legged baseplates from mojo musical supply and it is easy to replace them.

Comment

Originally posted by jumble jumble View Post
                +1

It is normal, yeah. You can help it by jamming a load of foam in there under the pickup.
                +1

Sent from my armored space station using Tapatalk on iPad

Comment

But, obviously, Kojak's "do Y instead" answer was very helpful to the OP (I was just agreeing with the Lt.). And helping is what this forum is all about.

(Isn't it?)
                  Originally Posted by IanBallard
                  Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I dunno, the OP hasn't actually said it was helpful. You need the long legs in a batwing-pickguard SG, for example.

Even the Lt says he'd use them on a jazzbox, so it's acknowledged that there are uses. And it still doesn't answer the guy's question as to how long the two different lengths of legs are.

A while back I asked a technical q about flipping a magnet in a humbucker. Made the mistake of saying which two humbuckers I was using. Cue lots of alternative suggestions on which pickups to use, but no actual technical info that answered the question.

However, it's by no means unique to this forum. As you say, people want to help, so will often just say the first suggestion they can think of rather than not answer the question. It comes from a desire to be helpful, and that's a good thing.

Comment

A while back I asked a technical q about flipping a magnet in a humbucker. Made the mistake of saying which two humbuckers I was using. Cue lots of alternative suggestions on which pickups to use, but no actual technical info that answered the question.
                      So who do you want an apology from? Wouldn't it make more sense to address them directly rather than direct your ire at everybody else instead?

Comment

pickup legs length?

Like I said, it comes from a good place. I was just making a little joke, no need for anyone to get butthurt.

And I did point out at the time that the other posts didn't answer my question.
                        Last edited by jumble jumble; 06-07-2013, 12:01 PM.

Comment

After talking to the Custom Shop, the 78 trembucker is only available with short legs, so that's what I've decided to use. Thanks all!

Comment

Originally posted by kelso View Post
                            After talking to the Custom Shop, the 78 trembucker is only available with short legs, so that's what I've decided to use. Thanks all!
                            You've never said it was a Trembucker... of course it only comes short-legged!

Comment

Thanks Jumble Jumble for the quotable that became my new sig.
                              Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Working...
                              X