Hey guys I did something stupid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey guys I did something stupid

Hi all, I managed to get myself in a little trouble here! Your advice is appreciated.

I have a nifty Fender clone project that will use quality parts. Since I have wanted to try winding my own pickups for years, I decided to start with this project. Read on:

First off, I bought a pair of used Fender Enforcer Widerange pickups that come from a Pawn Shop Special Mustang. I bought them JUST FOR THEIR LOOKS. See photo:

I like the hip Fender logo, I knew the pickups were probably lame and like I said, I wanted to attempt a rewind so I cut all the windings off. So all 4 bobbins are bare, and I set aside some alnico magnets for them. If ever my rewinds suck (a distinct possibility) I can replace with regular-sized Duncans and will not have to cut a new pickguard.

Next, I decided the non-adjustable pole pieces (under the cover) should be slugs instead of screws. I determined that the threads would have to be drilled or reamed to allow slugs. No problem, I've done this before.

When I actually started doing this, I realized that I was taking the threads off the wrong side!!! I just let my attention slip for a minute and got ahead of myself. Rookie mistake.

Now that I'm done kicking myself, I want to know how to fix this. I need to put screws back into holes made for slugs. The best I can think of is if I could find the right size nylon standoffs and tap them? I think I'd be pretty lucky to find the exact dimensions but you never know. Any other ideas?

If I really have to, I can make the screws non-adjustable and epoxy them in place but that's a last resort. Actually, buying a new pickup is a last resort...
    Thanks very much
    Attached Files

Re: Hey guys I did something stupid

No picture mang, I can't see what you did.

Comment

Ya, there's no way to photograph it. Basically I drilled out the threads from the bobbins and now need to somehow get them back so screws will be adjustable.

Comment

Ah, you could slug it or get some SuperD or Invader type screws.

Comment

Wait so if I'm interpreting correctly you drilled:
          oooxxx
          xxxooo
          instead of the other way around? Can't you just move the bottom bobbin to the top?
          Love,
          /Andy

Comment

If I am misinterpreting, however:
            http://www.mojotone.com/ext/vintageguitarpartsdirect-com/Mojotone-Phenolic-Standoff-5-40-thread-187-565
            Love,
            /Andy

Comment

Wow, I never would have imagined that such a thing was available. Good call DepecheMoses.
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

that standoff from mojotone is a great idea.

you could also fill the drilled out holes with epoxy, and redrill them for the correct diameter then re-thread them.

Comment

Sonofagun! That's exactly what I need. I don't know about the thread on these screws since they're cheapie import pickups, but I could always change the screws. You're the man Andy!

And yes, you understood my problem but I can't swap the coils without modifying. See, that's why I ask questions at this forum, there's usually someone helpful giving me the answers I need.

Comment

Working...
                  X