Replacing the pickups on my Yamaha Pacifica

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing the pickups on my Yamaha Pacifica

I'm replacing the pickups on my old Yamaha Pacifica 012. I have a Jackson Soloist SL3 with Hot Rails and a JB humbucker, which is great for metal and hard rock, but I want the Pacifica to have a different sound.

I'm looking for a pop rock sound. I'm thinking either SSL1s or Alnico II Pro APS-1s in the neck and middle positions and a 59/Custom Hybrid or Pearly Gates in the bridge position. Seymour Duncan recommends them for pop rock and classic rock.

I also considered Classic Stacks, Darkbuckers, Little '59s, Custom Customs and Alnico II Pro APH-1.

Any thoughts?

Re: Replacing the pickups on my Yamaha Pacifica

Have a look at this video

Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

59/Custom Hybrid is a good choice, as is the Screamin' Demon I think.
      http://www.lonephantom.com
      http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/author/stephen/

Comment

That video is great, thanks a lot. I'm not sure if the Screamin' Demon would actually fit. Thanks for the seconding on the 59/Custom Hybrid.

Comment

Not sure what a pop/rock sound is, but the A2P's would be distinctly different in the Pacifica.

Might seriously consider a Jazz bridge.
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Joe_Crow View Post
            That video is great, thanks a lot. I'm not sure if the Screamin' Demon would actually fit. Thanks for the seconding on the 59/Custom Hybrid.
            What do you mean by fit? It you mean sound, you need to remember that the Screamin' Demon isn't a crazy high output pickup like the name may suggest to some. It's a PAF style moderate output pickup with plenty of articulation.
            http://www.lonephantom.com
            http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/author/stephen/

Comment

I know you are probably looking for a set of Seymour Duncan pickups, but I have installed a set of Wilde pickups in 1990 Pacifica 512 and they sound great! I went with a 4.8H L600 and two L280 single coils. It works really well in the alder body. I also have a 1990 Pacifica 912 (which is an ash body) that came with some custom made DiMarzio pickups stock. They are in the realm of a PAF Pro for the bridge and HS2s for the single coils. This sounds great too!

Personally, I really like the low to mid output pickups for their articulation and less string pull so I would recommend something along there for the bridge. On another forum, one of the guys just got a Pacifica 812 that came with a SD '59 stock and SD single coils (I am not sure which) and he loves the way it sounds.

I would say stick with a PAF or an overwound PAF for the bridge for sure. I personally don't like 60 cycle hum, so I always choose stacked single coils. I haven't tried any of the offerings from SD except a Tele set. I had a Vintage Stack in the neck and it was sweet! I would say if there is something like that in the Strat layout, I would get that along with a lower output bridge humbucker. Maybe a '59/Classic Stack Plus/Classic Stack Plus setup would be nice...

Good luck! I was lucky in finding the Wilde pickups, they fit what I was looking for so I didn't have to keep swapping pickups out. Hopefully that is the case for you when you decide to buy!

Cole
              Budda Superdrive II 30, 45, V40, Baby Budda| H&K Duotone | Laney GH100L | Peters Halo/Hydra | Rivera M100 | |Rocktron Vendetta 100 | VHT Pittbull 100/CL]

Comment

It'll be rather difficult to find some Wildes for a good price in the UK unfortunately. I am considering Classic Stack Plus' however.

How different does the '59 humbucker sound from the '59 Custom? The website only has an example of the '59.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe_Crow View Post
                  It'll be rather difficult to find some Wildes for a good price in the UK unfortunately. I am considering Classic Stack Plus' however.

How different does the '59 humbucker sound from the '59 Custom? The website only has an example of the '59.
                  I have only heard the '59/Custom Hybrid in metal settings at it sounds really good. I have not heard it do other styles, but there seems to be some love for it.

You can tell that pickup seems to have a tight attack and plenty of punch. I have considered getting this pickup, but I don't think it will fit the application I am looking for right now. This video seems to show off a good rock tone. As far as the Wilde pickups are concerned, I do believe they ship internationally. They are cheap for a small wind shop, cheaper than Seymour Duncan and DiMarzio (unless you get them second hand).

I hope this helps you out!

Cole
                  Budda Superdrive II 30, 45, V40, Baby Budda| H&K Duotone | Laney GH100L | Peters Halo/Hydra | Rivera M100 | |Rocktron Vendetta 100 | VHT Pittbull 100/CL]

Comment

This one is more metal:

This one shows off even more tightness and how punchy it is!

Cole

Comment

Working...
                    X