banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

60's Pawn Shop Style Guitar (Pickup Replacement Ideas?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 60's Pawn Shop Style Guitar (Pickup Replacement Ideas?)

Hello all. My name's Chris, I'm new to the forum, and I was wondering if Seymour Duncan makes any pickups with a similar look to what I have in my guitar now with a vintage tone to match. The guitar is a late 60's/early 70's? Univox 355 copy that my uncle gave to me last year. The pickups look to be humbuckers, but they have an insufferable amount of hum to them. Also, the bridge pickup is pretty much dead. Almost no signal comes through it. I've checked for problems with wiring as well and that doesn't seem to be the problem. Any suggestions on some replacements?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Univox 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	5828754Click image for larger version

Name:	Univox 2.jpg
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	5828755Click image for larger version

Name:	Univox 3.jpg
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	5828756Click image for larger version

Name:	Univox 4.jpg
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	5828757

Here's a short video for an idea of the sound it gets: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnHUEdXOdNY

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to give.

Re: 60's Pawn Shop Style Guitar (Pickup Replacement Ideas?)

Welcome to the forum!

Gibson copies from that era often had pickups that were single coils dressed up in humbucker covers so that might explain the hum.

For playing the style in your video a set of SH-55 Seth Lovers would be nice. SH-1 '59s would be a good choice too. Seths are smooth, '59s have a brighter top end and firmer bass.

Comment

Thanks. I figured I would get an email or something telling me someone posted to this (reason why I haven't checked the thread in awhile). Any idea about where I can get some similar covers for it if these won't fit?

Also, as far as the playing style in the video goes, that's just the kind of stuff I want to play with this guitar. I play all kinds of music. Again, thanks for the reply.

Comment

Welcome to the forum.

The Seths would probably be great for what you play. They will probably fit the covers that are on your current pups, but the Seths come with nickel covers which, in my opinion, would look much better than the black ones anyway.

Taking the nameplate off of the headstock would also dramatically improve its looks.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Thanks again. I just want to keep the guitar as stock as I can. Can't really deal with the pickups that are in it now though due to how shot they are. Plus, I actually like the nameplate.

Comment

"Univox" nameplate?......................Uh................ ............OK.................to each his own.

So, see if the covers will fit on the Seths (I suspect so).
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Send them to Seymour Duncan to have them fixed/repaired if you want the stock pickup.

Comment

I just want the stock look, really. Plus, I'm kind of limited on funds at the moment. It'll be awhile before I can get a new set of pickups anyway.

Comment

Working...
                X