X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best PAF in Double Cream?

Think I already know the answer...

Re: Best PAF in Double Cream?

Yeah, the number 36 comes to mind. Or maybe one can get the WLH in cream...
    "I don't like the real world. I have to live there, and it sucks. It's drab, it's dingy, quality control is a f*cking joke, A-cups are far too prevalent, nobody can fly and all the dinosaurs are dead!" -- The Game Overthinker

Comment

The best would be a real PAF.
      "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
      you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

The sarcasm above is because Dimarzio patented double cream buckers, "PAF" and mismatched coils of the same wire gauge IIRC. He makes a great PAF model. Look into Fralin, too. His Pure PAF is highly coveted.

European pickups are not forced to comply with his patent litigations and are free to make pickups without the tyranny of dimarzio.

Small US shops can do it, too.
        SD, not so much.

Comment

Its a trademark not a patent and the argument around here is a dead horse.

Even small makers in the US are subject to the trademark. Some may fly under the radar for awhile but sooner or later they will be requested to stop. By the rules of a trademark Dimarzio HAS to do this. If they allow even small makers to use their trademarks this can be construed in court that they have abandoned it and it can be declared null.

But really its a dead horse and never ends well around here.
          "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Wizz premium paf Clones

Comment

Originally posted by tonaholic View Post
              The sarcasm above is because Dimarzio patented double cream buckers, "PAF" and mismatched coils of the same wire gauge IIRC. He makes a great PAF model. Look into Fralin, too. His Pure PAF is highly coveted.

European pickups are not forced to comply with his patent litigations and are free to make pickups without the tyranny of dimarzio.

Small US shops can do it, too.
              SD, not so much.
              Now, I'm curious about the whole "dual resonance" thing. Is the patent/trademark deal only for mismatched coil impedance or mismatched coil shape? I swear that I have seen some different SHAPES to the Duncan coils on the same pickup, even though the resistance was fairly even on both bobbins. Also, maybe this is what is meant from some of the descriptions stating symmetrical or asymmetrical coils? I know the JB description states symmetrical coils.

LP Custom
              Greenbacks
              Boss SD-1

Comment

Originally posted by Soulcrusher_X View Post
                Now, I'm curious about the whole "dual resonance" thing. Is the patent/trademark deal only for mismatched coil impedance or mismatched coil shape? I swear that I have seen some different SHAPES to the Duncan coils on the same pickup, even though the resistance was fairly even on both bobbins. Also, maybe this is what is meant from some of the descriptions stating symmetrical or asymmetrical coils? I know the JB description states symmetrical coils.
                Its for coils that have the same number of turns of wire that are 2 different gauges. Its not about shape but number of turns. Read patent 4501185 for the skinny on it.

Incidently this is why the hybrid doesnt violate the patent (even though I think its expired but im not certain and not in the mood to look it up) The hybrid has different number of turns of different sized wire so its ok.
                Last edited by Edgecrusher; 06-08-2013, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Ahh, okay. Thanks man!

LP Custom
                  Greenbacks
                  Boss SD-1

Comment

Working...
                  X