• Interesting Specs...

7 String Nazgul Bridge: 16.52 k
    7 string Pegasus Bridge: 14.92 k
    7 string Distortion Bridge: 19.50 k
    7 string Invader Bridge: 19.50 k
    7 string Invader Neck: 8.89 k
    7 string Sentient Neck: 9.2 k
    7 string Distortion Neck: 15.11 k

I now understand DC resistance doesn't ultimately determine output, However, i did think the Nazgul would be higher than the Distortion. Doesn't affect my decision to go with the Nazgul. That is one thing i like about how Dimarzio rates their output- with a single number (mV), Anyway, it's cool they got some numbers up. Now just need those EQ numbers!!!
    Last edited by chris effect; 06-10-2013, 11:06 AM. Reason: terminolgy corrections
    "It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Re: Interesting Specs...

43 vs 44 awg wire.

Comment

Originally posted by King IzzO))) View Post
      43 vs 44 awg wire.
      What do you mean? I am not very technical with the tech terms haha :/
      AMPLIFIER: Diezel VH4 (2007 updated in 2011)
      CABINET: VHT 4x12 FB (Eminence P50Es)
      GUITAR: PRS Custom 24 (2012 with Seymour Duncan Custom Shop pickups)
      EFFECTS: G Major 2, EHX DMM (Older model)
      Tuner: Korg DTR-1

Comment

Originally posted by Sigma.xiria View Post
        What do you mean? I am not very technical with the tech terms haha :/
        It means that the pickups are wound with different gauges of wire. 44 is thinner than 43 and they are thinner than 42AWG. The thinner the wire the more DCR it has.
        A general measurement is that the same DCR of 43awg will only have roughly 75% of the output as 42awg.
        Usually a humbucker wound with 42awg (which is like stock industry standard) will fill the bobbin at about 10K... pickups with higher DCR require thinner wire but this doesn't necessarily make them hotter. e.g. a 43awg pickup wound to 10K should have the same output as a 42awg pickup wound to 8K (but this would need the magnet and wind pattern and all that jazz to remain the exact same between the two)

It gets more complicated... I'm just simplifying it... Hope it helped
        There's nothing less metal than trying to act metal.

Comment

The Distortion and Invader use 44 awg wire, it's thinner than 43, which the Distortion Neck, and I'm guessing the Nazgul and Pegasus are wound with. The thinner wire has a higher DC resistance and allows more turns per coil by virtue of being thinner.

The Nazgul, from what I can gather, is a similar concept to a BK Aftermath, which is 43 awg PE wire. I was already assuming it was wound with 43, although Poly is a possibility.

Most power from a pickup in regards to output comes from magnet strength.
          Last edited by King IzzO))); 06-10-2013, 02:11 PM.

Comment

What, still no nine-string Nazgűl?! I tell ya, it's gonna happen one of these ages.
            "I don't like the real world. I have to live there, and it sucks. It's drab, it's dingy, quality control is a f*cking joke, A-cups are far too prevalent, nobody can fly and all the dinosaurs are dead!" -- The Game Overthinker

Comment

Originally posted by King IzzO))) View Post
              The Distortion and Invader use 44 awg wire, it's thinner than 43, which the Distortion Neck, and I'm guessing the Nazgul and Pegasus are wound with. The thinner wire has a higher DC resistance and allows more turns per coil by virtue of being thinner.

The Nazgul, from what I can gather, is a similar concept to a BK Aftermath, which is 43 awg PE wire. I was already assuming it was wound with 43, although Poly is a possibility.

Most power from a pickup in regards to output comes from magnet strength.

This is now making a lot more sense. So for instance if the Nazgul was wound with 44awg wire it would spec out higher than 16.6k . Must be why my D-activator 7 specs low on the DC res (11.6) (must be wound with 42) However is 2nd hottest of all their 7 string pups in output. Big Mag i guess. thanks for the info
              Last edited by chris effect; 06-10-2013, 02:57 PM.
              "It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Comment

Originally posted by Chocklit_Thunda View Post
                It means that the pickups are wound with different gauges of wire. 44 is thinner than 43 and they are thinner than 42AWG. The thinner the wire the more DCR it has.
                A general measurement is that the same DCR of 43awg will only have roughly 75% of the output as 42awg.
                Usually a humbucker wound with 42awg (which is like stock industry standard) will fill the bobbin at about 10K... pickups with higher DCR require thinner wire but this doesn't necessarily make them hotter. e.g. a 43awg pickup wound to 10K should have the same output as a 42awg pickup wound to 8K (but this would need the magnet and wind pattern and all that jazz to remain the exact same between the two)

It gets more complicated... I'm just simplifying it... Hope it helped
                Wow! Thanks! It makes more sense for sure
                AMPLIFIER: Diezel VH4 (2007 updated in 2011)
                CABINET: VHT 4x12 FB (Eminence P50Es)
                GUITAR: PRS Custom 24 (2012 with Seymour Duncan Custom Shop pickups)
                EFFECTS: G Major 2, EHX DMM (Older model)
                Tuner: Korg DTR-1

Comment

D-Activator might be a 42/43 hybrid.

Comment

Working...
                  X