Custom 5 and a Jazz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom 5 and a Jazz

On the SD Facebook page there's a custom Tele with a C5 bridge and Jazz neck. Someone says pu selection sucks with some thumbs up(people agreeing). Why no like for this combo?
    Crash49 - my music on amazon and itunes
    http://a.co/8ht5Qes

Re: Custom 5 and a Jazz

Because it's only most of the way to a Tele-Gib.
    "I don't like the real world. I have to live there, and it sucks. It's drab, it's dingy, quality control is a f*cking joke, A-cups are far too prevalent, nobody can fly and all the dinosaurs are dead!" -- The Game Overthinker

Comment

Anyhoo, it's a great combination, with either UOA5, degaussed A5, or A2. Or A3. Even A4. Plain 'old polished A5 is too bright and thin, lacking character.
      "I don't like the real world. I have to live there, and it sucks. It's drab, it's dingy, quality control is a f*cking joke, A-cups are far too prevalent, nobody can fly and all the dinosaurs are dead!" -- The Game Overthinker

Comment

I'll bet the self appointed critic plays at a beginner level, making his opinion worth jack squat. Don't ever forget that's usually the case.

The C5/Jazz N works great in a lot of guitars. I've had or heard it in a LP, PRS, Schecter, telecaster.
        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I just looked at the pic on FB and for the simple fact it's a Tele with a Floyd people will hate it but everybody has diff preferences. I saw the comment you are talking about but obviously that guy has a hard on for Lindy Fralin pups. Me personally I would play the S#@t outta that Tele.
          Originally posted by KBliss
          WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
          Originally posted by trevorus
          The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

yeah i was wondering cuz i've seen that combo stock on some guitars like ESP and Killer
            Crash49 - my music on amazon and itunes
            http://a.co/8ht5Qes

Comment

Not a fan myself of that combo. Had it in my Monaco Elite, and my 335. Ripped out within a couple days. C5 and 59 didnt work for me either in a PRS SC250.the Jazz I can live with but the C5 is horrendous AFAIC. I even tried it with a rc a5 and it was not much improvement. SH5 and CC are far better sounding pups with more character. The only time I got along with the C5 was in a 67 V with 300K volum epot.
              I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

I would not like it at all because of the hollow scooped mids sound, but the combo would be great if that is what you were going for.

Comment

It all comes down to taste. I think the Jazz N is a great pickup but I agree with Jeff on the C5 - I couldn't get along with it. I only tried it in a Les Paul but it seemed like the worst of both worlds - lacked the hard-hitting focus of a Custom or JB and had none of the subtlety of a '59 or other vintage output pickup. Not for me!

Comment

My biggest problem with the C5 was how thin and hollow it sounded with boomy lows, shrill shrill shrill highs, and a non-existent midrange. It is said that it is basically a supercharged '59, and it is what kind of keeps me from trying the '59. I just hated the sound of the C5.

Comment

Originally posted by Myaccount876 View Post
                      My biggest problem with the C5 was how thin and hollow it sounded with boomy lows, shrill shrill shrill highs, and a non-existent midrange. I just hated the sound of the C5.
                      Well, a simple mag swap to either an A4 and/or an A8 would've change everything for you.

Hear it to believe it.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB View Post
                        Not a fan myself of that combo. Had it in my Monaco Elite, and my 335. Ripped out within a couple days. C5 and 59 didnt work for me either in a PRS SC250.the Jazz I can live with but the C5 is horrendous AFAIC. I even tried it with a rc a5 and it was not much improvement. SH5 and CC are far better sounding pups with more character. The only time I got along with the C5 was in a 67 V with 300K volum epot.
                        A JazzN/C5 combo could sound great if you mag swap to my "Vintage Whisperer™" mag combo specs: A3neck/UOA5bridge.

HTH,

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
                          A JazzN/C5 combo could sound great if you mag swap to my "Vintage Whisperer™" mag combo specs: A3neck/UOA5bridge.
                          +1. Kojak knows his stuff. UOA5's work wonders in many bridge PU's (even some neck PU's), by giving an A2 feel, but with more edge. A3's are great in the neck slot when an A5's boomy lows or mid scoop are a problem. A magnet with a good dose mids can make a neck PU sound much 'bigger.' A C5/JazzN with a UOA5 and A3 are very different sounding than the stock versions, much improved. I was the first one I know of to put an UOA5 in a C5 when Addiction FX came on the scene here a few years ago, and it really overcomes the common complaints of the C5. The shrill highs and boomy lows go away. It's much more vintage sounding. JazzN's are good, clear PU's, but don't have as much character as a good PAF; adding an A3 changes that.
                          "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                          "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                          "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by Myaccount876 View Post
                            My biggest problem with the C5 was how thin and hollow it sounded with boomy lows, shrill shrill shrill highs, and a non-existent midrange. It is said that it is basically a supercharged '59, and it is what kind of keeps me from trying the '59. I just hated the sound of the C5.
                            You should try a 59. Only you can decide if you like it or not. A lot of people make that comparison when describing the C5 but the winds are different and use completely different wire. The 59 is its own thing.

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
                              Well, a simple mag swap to either an A4 and/or an A8 would've change everything for you.

Hear it to believe it.
                              What do you think I did? I put in an oversized ceramic into one custom I had, an A2 in the other so now I have a Custom + and a Custom Custom. Yes, I like it despite going against the "A2 and ceramics sux! Get teh A8 (or insert user's favorite magnet regardless of what the person actually needs)!!!" mentality shared by some on the forum.

Comment

Working...
                              X